1 1
brenthutch

Queer and Climate on NPR

18 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Could you please show me anywhere in BillV’s rambling post anything that remotely has anything to do with the OP?

Why? Regardless of whether that post engaged the topic, your topic has been engaged. 

But hey, let’s use your logic. Did the post contain any name calling against you? I don’t think it did, so that’s you proved wrong then, isn’t it?

(edited)
Just now, brenthutch said:

queer triggered, overcompensater, religionist, 

These are not personal attacks or even pejorative terms; don't be such a victim, it's unbecoming. Like it or not you are, at least on these pages, easily animated by LGBTQ issues. I personally find your attachment to ridiculous firearms and your certainty that they are in no way associated with mass shootings in a causative way akin to any other belief system if for no other reason than your absolute inability to give an iota, much less an inch, on the subject. Lastly, it's absolutely fair to say you overcompensate just on the odds because all of the rest of us do, too.

Edited by JoeWeber

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

These are not personal attacks or even pejorative terms; don't be such a victim, it's unbecoming. Like it or not you are, at least on these pages, easily animated by LGBTQ issues. 

I am fine w LGB, it is the T that is troubling. When a lesbian is called a TERF for not wanting to hook up w a trans woman or a gay man is labeled a bigot because he doesn’t want to have sex with a trans man with a vagina it is a bridge to far, but than again I am old fashioned.

Just now, brenthutch said:

I am fine w LGB, it is the T that is troubling. When a lesbian is called a TERF for not wanting to hook up w a trans woman or a gay man is labeled a bigot because he doesn’t want to have sex with a trans man with a vagina it is a bridge to far, but than again I am old fashioned.

Why should you care at all? Being offended by someones sexuality when it does not affect you at all isn't being old fashioned it is being bigoted. Let adults live their one life in any way that gives them hope and pleasure. The bottom line, so to speak, is that whatever gay or trans people are doing they aren't doing it to you and if they are, well, it can't be much of a deal because you don't seem to have noticed.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

When a lesbian is called a TERF for not wanting to hook up w a trans woman or a gay man is labeled a bigot because he doesn’t want to have sex with a trans man with a vagina . . . 

. . .  effectively never happens.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:09 AM, brenthutch said:

I share some simple facts or give an opinion and get blasted with ad hominem and vitriol instead of being engaged on the topic presented. 

Mate I just went and checked my profile, and it turns out yesterday marked my 10th year on here. You haven't engaged in a single topic in good faith for at least half of that time. People respond to you in accordance with your actions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billvon said:

“British journalist Catherine Bennett has described the word as "a bullying tool", which had "already succeeded in repressing speech – and maybe even research".[8][38] In 2017, British feminist author Claire Heuchan argued that the word was often used alongside "violent rhetoric",[9][39] and that this violent language was used to "dehumanise women who are critical of gender as part of a political system", often lesbians.[9] British clinical psychologist and medical sociologist David Pilgrim says that phrases like "Kill a TERF!" or "Punch a TERF!" are also posted by trolls online, and that there had been other depictions of violence aimed at women labeled as TERFs.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11153811/Police-remove-LESBIANS-Pride-march-Cardiff-Officer-tells-gender-critical-women-leave.html

As you said Bill, progressives keep “progressing” they are now recategorizing pedophiles as MAPs. Congratulations.

20 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Why should you care at all? Being offended by someones sexuality when it does not affect you at all isn't being old fashioned it is being bigoted. Let adults live their one life in any way that gives them hope and pleasure. The bottom line, so to speak, is that whatever gay or trans people are doing they aren't doing it to you and if they are, well, it can't be much of a deal because you don't seem to have noticed.

Key word being "adults".  I don't care what you do with whom as long as it's consenting adults, but there is a certain media fixation with all of this that I think steers or grooms some kids.  Puberty is tough.  All hormones all the time.  Some of the ones who are being left out of the traditional roles can be swayed to LGBT.  Hence the Q

Just now, airdvr said:

Key word being "adults".  I don't care what you do with whom as long as it's consenting adults, but there is a certain media fixation with all of this that I think steers or grooms some kids.  Puberty is tough.  All hormones all the time.  Some of the ones who are being left out of the traditional roles can be swayed to LGBT.  Hence the Q

Maybe some are being swayed, no one sensible will claim it's not a possibility. But it's the same with drugs, playing rock and roll, and making fart sounds with a cupped hand and your underarm all of which are learned behaviors, too. There is going to be all of that and worse, certainly. I haven't noticed anyone here claiming adults should be making permanent gender change decisions for kids that aren't justifiable as medical necessities.  Nor is anyone here advocating that kids should be encouraged to bat around to learn whom they are sexually. Here what I'm getting is that, except for the irredeemably homophobic and naturally bigoted, the starting point needs to be live and let live. There are quite probably 50 to 60 Million LGBTQ folks in America alone. Obviously they aren't churning out 10's of millions of groomed kids a year. Pretty much there isn't a real problem, seems to me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, billvon said:

Sort of like gender dysphoria 

“According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, gender dysphoria prevalence accounts for 0.005–0.014% of the population for biological males and 0.002–0.003% for biological females”

(edited)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/world/europe/spain-gender-change.html

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

But it's the same with drugs, playing rock and roll, and making fart sounds with a cupped hand and your underarm all of which are learned behaviors, too.

They might be learned behaviors but once you've matured (except for rock of course) you kind of move on from that.  BTW I have no problem with any of it (LBTG) until it starts to be come "fashionable" and a choice made to be cool.

Edited by airdvr

(edited)
5 hours ago, airdvr said:

They might be learned behaviors but once you've matured (except for rock of course) you kind of move on from that.  BTW I have no problem with any of it (LBTG) until it starts to be come "fashionable" and a choice made to be cool.

Oh get a grip.

At what time in your life do you feel you’d have been susceptible to being peer pressured into having sex with a man because it was cool?

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, airdvr said:

BTW I have no problem with any of it (LBTG) until it starts to be come "fashionable" and a choice made to be cool.

BTW, regardless of the absurdity of totally not-gay people becoming gay because it’s cool, why is it a problem for you if it is cool? If the thing is ok, why is the fashionableness of the thing a problem?

Like, since streaming came along vinyl has made a massive comeback because the sound quality is better, but now a lot of people are also into records because it’s trendy again. So even though being into vinyl is ok, should I have a problem with it being fashionable enough that people buy record decks just because it’s cool? Is that a bad thing now?

14 hours ago, airdvr said:

The only ones with a fixation on 'steering' or 'grooming' are the Right wing extremists.

Adolescence is a time when kids have to figure out who and what they are.

Much of that is in NO WAY a 'choice'. They can't be 'groomed' into being something they aren't.

Letting them know that how they feel is ok, letting them know that they may or may not prefer the opposite sex, that they may not even be the gender they were born as, none of that is 'steering'. It's allowing them to be who they REALLY are.

As has been asked a bunch of times, when did you (editorial 'you', not necessarily 'you' specifically) 'choose' to be heterosexual?