ronixx

Snowboarding goggles VS skydiving goggles

Hey. I have a set of Spy snowboarding goggles that are a few years old. Perfect condition with a mirror and clear lense. I am currently in the process of buying my first open face helmet and alti. (Benny Advanced, Altimaster Galaxy)

My question is; Would using the snowboard goggles be safe? I see a lot of wing suit vids where guys are wearing those kinds of goggles with an open face helmet. If so I can save some money on buying skydiving goggles and using those. They seem like they would fit snugger too.

Thanks
Ubique

It would be a good idea to run it by your instructors, who can actually look at them.

One thing you want to be sure you can do with any pair of goggles you use is to be able to see your cutaway and reserve handles when you are wearing them. It's not that important in skiing and snowboarding to be able to see your own chest area, but it is in skydiving. Put on your rig and and see if you can still see those when you have those goggles on.

If you want something inexpensive that works really well, consider a pair of these:
http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/sky-eyes-goggles

ronixx

Hey. I have a set of Spy snowboarding goggles that are a few years old. Perfect condition with a mirror and clear lense. I am currently in the process of buying my first open face helmet and alti. (Benny Advanced, Altimaster Galaxy)

My question is; Would using the snowboard goggles be safe? I see a lot of wing suit vids where guys are wearing those kinds of goggles with an open face helmet. If so I can save some money on buying skydiving goggles and using those. They seem like they would fit snugger too.

Thanks

I use a pair of ski goggles (with one of those neat Recon Labs Heads up Displays) with my powered paragliding and can say they are NOT comfortable and REALLY hot. They restrict a lot of my vision and I often take them off and put on regular sunglasses while in flight. I have a pair of goggles I got from chutingstar and they fit nice, no restriction, and I've actually taken to wearing them doing PPG.

That, and if I lose my diving goggles its about $20-$30; if I lose my HUD its a few hundred for the googles and a few hundred more for the HUD... that isnt as awesome as I hoped...
You are not the contents of your wallet.