Chelseaflies

Are sexual relations inappropriate between a skydiver and their paying student?

So this is a pretty heated topic on my home DZ. We've all heard the stories, a video guy jumps with a attractive student, they find themselves flirting and one thing leads to another and everyone at the DZ hears about it and we say it's okay because he was just the video guy. What happens when it's the TI? Or an AFF instructor sleeping with his AFF student? On the one hand, it's unprofessional to sleep with someone who is a paying customer. On the other hand, these are consenting adults who just happened to met through a skydive.

Thoughts?
"My time is limited, what I can do with that time is not" - Jeb Corliss

Adults be adults ..... some times they do scummy things but it's their business... they have to live with their actions. So it's not for anyone else to condemn or condone.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

Adults be adults ..... some times they do scummy things but it's their business... they have to live with their actions. So it's not for anyone else to condemn or condone.

a. What's scummy about it?

b. Aren't you passing judgment by calling their actions scummy?

:ph34r:
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

it's unprofessional to sleep with someone who is a paying customer.

Man, there's a lot of hookers upset with you right now. ;)

Why are you playing the its OK for the video guy, but what about the AFF/I & TI or packer or manifest, etc?

Any staff of the DZ should wait till off student status.

It's not a moral thing.

It's a let the student keep their head in the game thing.

That is where professionalism comes in to play.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It's not a moral thing.

What :)? They're helping them relax, to get past the fear of student jumps. I respect them for going the extra mile to take care of their students. They're Altruists :P...

BIGUN

it's unprofessional to sleep with someone who is a paying customer.

Man, there's a lot of hookers upset with you right now. ;)

Why are you playing the its OK for the video guy, but what about the AFF/I & TI or packer or manifest, etc?

It's not a moral thing.

I agree. To my view, it's a matter of both ethics and professionalism. In addition to what you point out, another aspect of the professionalism part is that it leaves open the appearance (or even the reality) of an instructor engaging in favoritism toward the student. In part, just as in any other kind of school, it's not fair to other students, who might not benefit from equally "attentive" instruction.

Aside from that, it also leads to the possibility that the student (usually female) will be advanced too fast, into jumps that are beyond the safety cushion of her skill set - and the dangers of that are obvious.

chuckakers

***Adults be adults ..... some times they do scummy things but it's their business... they have to live with their actions. So it's not for anyone else to condemn or condone.

a. What's scummy about it?

b. Aren't you passing judgment by calling their actions scummy?

a. I didn't say that they WERE doing scummy things, I said sometimes adults DO scummy things.. not the same, not the same at all.

b. see a.

P.S for clarity - seeing as how you seem to need it .. A scummy thing would be if there were 3rd parties involved but not in the know - i.e cheating etc..

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

"shropshire"
P.S for clarity - seeing as how you seem to need it .. A scummy thing would be if there were 3rd parties involved but not in the know - i.e cheating etc..

or a live video feed to the bar.

Hi Andy,

To my view, it's a matter of both ethics and professionalism.

Now I suppose you are going to tell us that you have never slept with a client.

That sure is different that what I have read about some attorneys.

Hey, the bill has to be paid somehow.

:P

JerryBaumchen

PS) Re the OP: Under any conditions, if they are both adults it is up to them.

Now I suppose you are going to tell us that you have never slept with a client.

I have occasionally represented my wife in a couple of business matters, and I think a traffic ticket. I was already married when I became an attorney. Thus: other than that, no.

>Are sexual relations inappropriate between a skydiver and their paying student?

IMO, yes. Students are under enough stress without the added issues caused by a sexual relationship with someone they are jumping with - and instructors are famous for making bad decisions concerning people they are having that relationship with.

>On the other hand, these are consenting adults who just happened to
>met through a skydive.

I know several people who that happened to and are now married. In general they were able to avoid a serious relationship until after they were off student status.

shropshire

Which wasn't mentioned in the OP. Guess your mind just goes there.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

***P.S for clarity - seeing as how you seem to need it .. A scummy thing would be if there were 3rd parties involved but not in the know - i.e cheating etc..

Which wasn't mentioned in the OP. Guess your mind just goes there.;)

So perhaps shropshire is naturally scummy since his mind just goes there. B|

Tandems and video? I don't see a problem.

I do. Most tandem students are jumping as a once-off on their bucket list. But even whether they are or not - emotionally, they're ALL pretty ripe for being taken advantage of, between the pre-jump awe, the fear-factor of the ride and jump itself, and the post-jump euphoria. I don't think it speaks well for the general professionalism of the instructors or the DZs, or the reputation of the industry, if it gets presumed that every female tandem student is secretly viewed by her professional protectors as fresh meat on the half-shell, available to be plucked when they're highly vulnerable.

I wonder how many of my fellow dads of daughters don't see my point.

hcsvader

If instructors never hooked up with students I wouldn't have been born.

You may be making the point NOT to have relations ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.