blue_bert

Wanting to learn to wingsuit fly.

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice...

So I've been jumping for a while now and have made it through my A & B license and got my FS1. My FS1 skills aren't great but still working on them.

So I'm looking for advise on when to start wingsuit training as it something I've always wanted to give it a go and I'm getting close to hitting the 200 jumps needed.

Should I wait till I've got really good at FS or should I start on FF1 before doing any wingsuit? Or is it really just give it a go and see if it's for me?

I don't want anyone to think I'm in any rush to get into a wingsuit but I like to plan ahead and set myself goals and not to sure if I should include wingsuit training in my goals for this year, next year or just for sometime in the future.

How did everyone else that flys a winguit progress to it?

Also any recommendations where to do this in the states? Been to Elsinore and Perris was thinking about going back there for training but it's the only 1 's I've been to in the states and would like to explore :)

well you are admitting that you are "not very good" at what you are doing right now, and you are asking if it is OK to do the same in a staright jacket ?

Basic wingsuit training is : become an "accomplished" skydiver before even asking yourself questions about wingsuiting. Become comfortable in belly flying, in some aerobatics (more or less freeflying), let all your concerns about opening and flying a canopy vanish, and when you start to feel ready, ask questions about what would be the best way to start.

Jump numbers is just jump numbers. Nowadays they don't have any relations with proficiency anymore.

Good luck in your quest :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Stay on your belly.
Learn air-awareness.
Learn to track on-heading.
When you're bored with all of that, stay on your belly some more.
Jump RW jumps with other people.
When you're bored of that, find better people to do RW with.
Stay away from falling on your ass, back, or on your head in these first 200 jumps. Unless you have a bunch of tunnel time, you'll likely be weak at any of those skills in addition to the life-saving, necessary skills on your belly.

THEN you'll likely be ready to get into a WS. It might take more than 200 jumps and that's OK. Being aware, stable, calm, competent on your belly matters more than the number of jumps.

well you are admitting that you are "not very good" at what you are doing right now, and you are asking if it is OK to do the same in a straight jacket ?

+1

I just took a FFC. I waited until I had 350 jumps. Unless you are completely comfortable you can handle all your EP's under any condition, wait. The sky will always be there.

It is very much like wearing a straight jacket.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Read DSE advise 10 times.

I started at around 250 jumps and from my experience, if you are going with low jump numbers like I did then make sure you are current. Try to be jumping a couple of times a week so that you are really comfortable that you can handle things not going to well without freaking out.

The other is choose your WS coach carefully. I did a one day class with someone who is known in the sport and I now know the class was pretty poor.

Ask around, get references. When you don't know anything then everyone looks like an expert.

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"

Good luck.

Wrong forum, but what the hell; I'll bite.

To the original poster: you would not BELIEVE how many people with over 1000 jumps I've trained who "just didn't get it" and did very poorly on their first WS jumps. Conversely, I've trained a lot of people with the minimum experience needed who did very well.

Ultimately, you've answered your own question when you stated "I'm not very good". Wingsuit flying is very simple when things go right, but when done wrong things happen very fast and "normal" recovery actions just don't work. Currency and CONFIDENCE in your general skydiving abilities are paramount. Don't be in a race; we aren't going anywhere.

Chuck
PFC/E (among other things)

DiverMike

+1

I just took a FFC. I waited until I had 350 jumps.

Same here.

I could have started after 200ish jumps, but waited until 350 and felt comfortable at that time.

Regarding training when you pull the trigger; I also suggest a full multi-day training course for wingsuiting as opposed to a “briefing & give it a try”

Maybe one day at the dropzone on a wind/rain hold ask one of the wingsuiters if you could just try on the their suit/rig to see what it feels like – it’s a bit daunting and you’ll think to yourself “wow, this is a lot of shit to be wearing while jumping out of a plane”.

However, for a taster, get a briefing on some type of “introduction” suit like an S-Fly Access where your arms are free but you can get the general idea. In my training, I probably did about a 12-15 jumps with these suits before strapping on the real thing.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

SkymonkeyONE

Wrong forum, but what the hell; I'll bite.

To the original poster: you would not BELIEVE how many people with over 1000 jumps I've trained who "just didn't get it" and did very poorly on their first WS jumps. Conversely, I've trained a lot of people with the minimum experience needed who did very well.

Ultimately, you've answered your own question when you stated "I'm not very good". Wingsuit flying is very simple when things go right, but when done wrong things happen very fast and "normal" recovery actions just don't work. Currency and CONFIDENCE in your general skydiving abilities are paramount. Don't be in a race; we aren't going anywhere.

Chuck
PFC/E (among other things)

"Not very good" means "no mad skills" to me. :ph34r:

Starting out a bit late in life, all of skydiving has been pretty difficult for me to learn. I always feel, "not very good".

Jump 201 for me because WS is my primary reason to be in the air.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Thanks for the reply's, its nice to get others peoples opinions that have more experience than myself.

I should clarify when i said i wasn't that good at FS work, its mainly because i have a hard time remembering all the formations, not that I'm not good in freefall, just have a poor memory.

I don't feel the I've rushed anything so far, everytime l learn something new i stick at it till i get good at it but just not sure FS is for me and was wonder if its worth sticking with or move on to something else like FF or wingsuit flying!

Well sounds to me like the general consensus is to stick with it till i master it. Will just have to start figure out ways to help me remember the formations better.

I think I've seen people with codes written in their forearm on bits of paper attached to their jumpsuit. Might be worth trying i guess. Just hate being the guy in the wrong place lol.

So I'm looking for advise on when to start wingsuit training as it something I've always wanted to give it a go and I'm getting close to hitting the 200 jumps needed.

I have seen people do a couple of WS flights and decide they are not all that interested. But if you want to do it, follow your interests. It is serious business (just like all skydiving) and for me, my element.

blue_bert

I should clarify when i said i wasn't that good at FS work, its mainly because i have a hard time remembering all the formations,

Brainlocking is not that uncommon. Are you spending all your spare time on the plane visualizing the dive? That's one of the best tools for remembering it. Then make sure you tell yourself "I've GOT this dive!" whether you do or not, right before you exit. :)

blue_bert

I should clarify when i said i wasn't that good at FS work, its mainly because i have a hard time remembering all the formations, not that I'm not good in freefall, just have a poor memory.

Well sounds to me like the general consensus is to stick with it till i master it. Will just have to start figure out ways to help me remember the formations better.

I think I've seen people with codes written in their forearm on bits of paper attached to their jumpsuit. Might be worth trying i guess. Just hate being the guy in the wrong place lol.

Don't try to remember the formations. Think about what your move is and what you need to do.
Example; star--left hand donut
Think"keep driving in, right 90 turn, look across formation, feed leg grip to partner, look across formation, don't chase, take left hand grip when presented, look across formation"
Rehease where you need to be and what you need to do in relation to others rather than "star-donut"
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Ultimately, you've answered your own question when you stated "I'm not very good".

Hey, could be he's just realistic.

Take two random skydivers with 200 jumps, one says "I'm awesome at FS already" and the other says "I'm not that good yet" - who do you believe?;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

Ultimately, you've answered your own question when you stated "I'm not very good".

Hey, could be he's just realistic.

Take two random skydivers with 200 jumps, one says "I'm awesome at FS already" and the other says "I'm not that good yet" - who do you believe?;)
Bloody Catch 22 isn't it? I think it pays to consider our own abilities rather than judge others too much.

ufk22

Don't try to remember the formations. Think about what your move is and what you need to do.
Think"keep driving in, right 90 turn, look across formation, feed leg grip to partner, look across formation, don't chase, take left hand grip when presented, look across formation"
Rehease where you need to be and what you need to do in relation to others rather than "star-donut"

^This.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

ufk22

Dont forget to cat scratch in the aircraft on the way up. Makes you look like you know what youre doing.;)

Don't forget to cat scratch in the aircraft on the way up. Makes you look like you know what youre doing.

I understand the benifit of this. But to me it has to be one of the funniest things in skydiving.....to watch it played out, ignoring the context. It looks like a mime that has lost his/her way. imagine that played out on a bench in the mall.

I mean no offence to those special people that can remember all of those moves.