bigbearfng

Stolen/missing?

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST will you PLEASE quit posting a full fucking page of bullshit for EVERY...SINGLE....RESPONSE?!?!?!?!

Also, in the English language we DON'T SIGN OUR NAME IN THE MIDDLE! GOD DAMNIT!!!!

That aside, I don't see a problem buying off craigslist if you can just talk to the guy. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if they know what they are talking about and since craigslist is specifically intended for local sales only you should have no problem checking out the gear. As long as they seem legit when you talk to them I don't think you should have too many apprehensions about dealing with them.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

I think you will notice that fewer and fewer people will respond to your posts.

Judging from post history, the guy did about a half dozen jumps a year or so ago and then got skeered and decided to lurk here being a jerk instead of jumping.
Owned by Remi #?

I have a hard time with language, thanks for putting up with my bad English and spelling, I am getting better.

So... after dozens and dozens of posts using completely idiomatic English you're going to fall back on "bad English" to excuse your bullshit?

Priceless

:D:D:D
Owned by Remi #?

Hmmmm? I'm thinking we need to start a new forum for.... "Bitchers and Spelling Nazi's" Although, in Chris' defense, not many people can make 24 paragraphs with only 30 sentances. :$

[Back on task here]
Buying used gear is like buying used cars, common sense goes a long way.
[/Back on task here]

Merry Christmas B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

any jumper with a little brain should be able to tell if gear is stolen or sketchy.

PHONE them up.

Ask how they got the gear. Where they jumped. Ask for the name of the DZO and give them a call to verify. Ask what discipline they like and who packed the reserve last. It's EASY to tell people who are talking shit.
Learn about your gear and you'll come up with a thousand questions to ask.

2. Not a jumper selling gear, but a Facebook jewelry site, which means most likely this gear is from a storage unit, sold at auction, and it has been sitting around for the last ten years, baking in the hot sun. And yes that is just a guess.

This makes me wonder whether you are a jumper at all. The facebook page I posted (which came up when I googled the phone number in the craigslist ad) went to "Square 1 Jewelry". Most jumpers I know would recognize the name "Square 1." Then again, maybe that's just a west coast thing.

So, direct questions: do you jump? If so, where? How long have you jumped for? How many jumps have you made?

ghost47

2. Not a jumper selling gear, but a Facebook jewelry site, which means most likely this gear is from a storage unit, sold at auction, and it has been sitting around for the last ten years, baking in the hot sun. ( The rig looks dusty, it doesn't apper to have that nylon shine. Which means in fact it is heat damage and the nylon is in fact worthless or it could be just dusty, which to me is a cause for concern because it is indicative of the lack of care the owner is showing.) And yes that is just a guess.

This makes me wonder whether you are a jumper at all. The facebook page I posted (which came up when I googled the phone number in the craigslist ad) went to "Square 1 Jewelry". Most jumpers I know would recognize the name "Square 1." Then again, maybe that's just a west coast thing.

So, direct questions: do you jump? If so, where? How long have you jumped for? How many jumps have you made?

I am trying to point something out here, and in a sense your making my point for me,...

is square one jewelry, on Facebook, the same as The Square 1 Gear store????

Or do you just accept everything anyone says?

C

It's a fairly simple question. :)
It's this assumption your making that because these two things share an easily recognizable name it adds a legitimacy to something else. If this were true I would have spent hundreds having my Irish curse extended because of all the wonderful e-mails I receive, they must be true, right?

And as far as making another assumption about my knowledge of gear stores and jumping I fail to see the connection.

For your information Square 1 in Eloy, Perris, and Lake Elsinore, are great stores, the main office is in Murrieta.

The facebook link is actually worth viewing IMO, Body piercing perhaps you could take advantage of their products, perhaps using one thru the tip of your manhood might be a great starting place? The face book page IMO actually also adds credence to the seller is certainly hung like a Christmas tree with ornaments, but I didn't see any skydiving pins being offered for sale, so that has me a little concerned, what do you think?

Does that make you feel any better ? Apparently in your world sharing a name should have been something I recognized as a jumper. Sorry but I didn't make that connection. Hate to sound short, but I'm trying to be short and not write so much, so please don't take offense. :)
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

yoink

any jumper with a little brain should be able to tell if gear is stolen or sketchy.

PHONE them up.

Ask how they got the gear. Where they jumped. Ask for the name of the DZO and give them a call to verify. Ask what discipline they like and who packed the reserve last. It's EASY to tell people who are talking shit.
Learn about your gear and you'll come up with a thousand questions to ask.

Again-if it was stolen I would not want to tip off the seller; as in a previous post stolen gear has been recognized and recovered due to this site.
Sure has been thread drift........

The ad caught my eye as "off"-wasn't sure and posted here for feedback to see if it was recognized.
It was near me- if someone said it was theirs/stolen and could forward a report taken on it I would have been more than happy to help.
BTW that offer stands!
I would consider it just giving a little back to the sport if I was ever able to help someone recover their gear.
I'm a LEO so do have some resources to offer.
Blue skies!

bigbearfng

The ad caught my eye as "off"-wasn't sure and posted here for feedback to see if it was recognized.
It was near me- if someone said it was theirs/stolen and could forward a report taken on it I would have been more than happy to help.
BTW that offer stands!
I would consider it just giving a little back to the sport if I was ever able to help someone recover their gear.
I'm a LEO so do have some resources to offer.
Blue skies!

Bingo!
You saw something that looked "Funny" and said "Hey! This looks funny."

It turned out not to be anything wrong, but it certainly could have been.

So of course you get flamed.

No good deed goes unpunished and all that.

Some of us do appreciate your concern.
Thanks.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

"It turned out not to be anything wrong, but it certainly could have been."

:)
How can yo make that statement?

To me all I see is another guess, please prove me wrong with some substantive evidence, something other than your guess's. And no one is flaming anyone except the flames I am getting. There is a shitload of ways buyers of skydiving gear can protect themselves. Both from scams and or from substandard, misrepresented condition or intentional omissions. There is very little here other than a few , at best well meaning individuals that buy and sell gear. At worst there is a lot of speculation taken as fact.

Used gear should and is continuously sold to newbies and continues to be an issue that they need considerable help with. But we have more than a few who's only interest is making a buck.

Instead of helping the least experienced purchase gear, more than a few have thrown them to the wolves, once again.

And I fucking totally don't understand how a body piercing jewelry store is something that as a jumper in CA I was to make a connection that doesn't exist!

C

I see, or at least it looks like dry spots, I can't tell from the pictures if it's dust or not. I certainly see a bit of tarnish on the ferrules, by itself not generally a cause for concern, but then again I see a closed sealed reserve container and then a serial number, shows up that no one has verified. I don't see a good legible copy of the main data panel. These are all things that deserve tight scrutiny. As are many of the fine suggestions already posted. I would suggest a seasoned rigger with all of their years of experience purchase this rig, and then after a through inspection resell it. But I certainly don't see any volunteers do that???? I mean if it's such a good price???:)
and I'm not yelling or mad at anyone, especially Mcordell, he sort of has one good point buried in there....

that being: "...you should have no problem checking out the gear..."

That is if you know what your looking at, that is.

Most DON'T

The face book page IMO actually also adds credence to the seller is certainly hung like a Christmas tree with ornaments, but I didn't see any skydiving pins being offered for sale, so that has me a little concerned, what do you think?

I think you've avoided the direct questions I've asked. I'll ask them again:

Do you jump? If so, where? How long have you jumped for? How many jumps have you made?

ghost47

The face book page IMO actually also adds credence to the seller is certainly hung like a Christmas tree with ornaments, but I didn't see any skydiving pins being offered for sale, so that has me a little concerned, what do you think?

I think you've avoided the direct questions I've asked. I'll ask them again:

Do you jump? If so, where? How long have you jumped for? How many jumps have you made?

I think your missing the point son,....

I'm trying to get you to think for yourself.
C

It'll sink in, someday..... ;)

are those patches? If they are patches, which is what they look like to me, it seems like an odd place for canopy damage and certainly doesn't indicate the canopy has the low jump numbers specified in the ad. I just noticed it as I was looking through the pictures again

Edited to add:

looking at it again it doesn't look like patches but it does look odd....neither of my mains looks like that but I'm not familiar with this canopy or manufacturer....forgive my ignorance on this canopy but wtf is all that
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

The point is, advice from a non-jumper who refuses to disclose what experience -- if any -- he has in our sport is worth very little to me (or, I suspect, anyone else). It would be like me giving advice on how best to perform open-heart surgery.

So, given that you have now refused, twice, to disclose what experience you have, I assume you have little to no experience with skydiving, and therefore will weight your posts and advice accordingly.

***I think your missing the point son,....

You're the one missing the point. The OP posted a link asking if people thought that gear was suspicious. You went off on an unrelated ramble berating them for not asking for an inspection, which has nothing to do with what the OP asked.

You've posted so many questionable statements in various threads that folks are starting to wonder if you actually jump. Why not just answer those questions? What's the problem?
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

You're the one missing the point. The OP posted a link asking if people thought that gear was suspicious. You went off on an unrelated ramble berating them for not asking for an inspection, which has nothing to do with what the OP asked.

You've posted so many questionable statements in various threads that folks are starting to wonder if you actually jump. Why not just answer those questions? What's the problem?

I didn't berate anyone.
C

And I am more than happy to answer or clarify anything questionable. I suppose the real question is:

Why would people pass on answering anything they thought questionable?

I hope Labrys can take a joke,(She is a bit of an inspiration.) cause it was a bit of a dig on anyone or everyone who advances WAG's , however well intentioned they may be. I was trying to stay on target, and frequently I leave out a lot of stuff and go straight to the answere so to speak. Geneerally someone who posts a lot of pictures has some pride in their equipment or they are a reseller of stuff they have found. Either way the most important point I am making is to raise your game, learn before you buy, and don't get scammed. Because there are in fact a lot of internet scams that have hurt a lot of people.

C

I don't know if the seller is legit or not, quite frankly I don't care. It's more important to realize the advice proffered here is somewhat tainted by certain individuals trying to make a buck and their interests come first. All you have to do is start a conversation about Tandems, or drop zones that are fiercely competing for students, sky ride , groupon, and a whole host of places with agendas, to see individuals defending their turf, so to speak. I go ballistic when I see certain advertisements being promoted as free advice. I have been around long enough to see major changes in skydiving. And what I see is a rather large bunch of people, getting their ratings for the sole purpose of cash. While I understand their love and reasons for doing this, this has in fact created unintended consequences in basically a volunteer organization, which is what the USPA is, but it's controlled by all of those that have their agenda's first. My focus is upon the fun jumper and trying to understand the complexities of running a drop zone subsidized by tandems and students. And you should be aware that I am not signaling anyone out here, there is a really big empty hole of knowledge by many gear purchasers. We do in fact need to stick together on some of this which I believe is the OP's intent. But a lot of things you need to be able to figure out for yourself.

V

labrys

I think you will notice that fewer and fewer people will respond to your posts.

Judging from post history, the guy did about a half dozen jumps a year or so ago and then got skeered and decided to lurk here being a jerk instead of jumping.

Not quite, but since you asked:

Your so sweet! :)
Remind me to give spinelli your home phone.... ;)

My first jump was at Orange with PI back in the seventies. It was the only place on the East Coast, just about the whole east coast. I saved up, I scrounged, I bought my first rig at 17, it was green and surplus.

This year I was only able to rack up about 200 jumps. For me and considering I spent the majority of time in the New England area this is really not bad. They are a really tough bunch up here and I am spending less and less time in Deland. Seasonal jumping sucks BTW. I miss the Bay area, flying, and China Town in CA. I'm getting old, can't remember as well as I used too. Can't move the same way.

Will you sleep better knowing this?

Does it really matter, the message or the messenger????

C

Don't take this the wrong way, but you got real balls girl!! :)
And no, I wasn't making a reference to Basketball, sorry, you blocked me, and I was in the process of letting you know some of my posts are from other people, people that are intimidated and scared to say what they freely feel and want to get out there,... for a number of reasons. I guess you want the last word???

It's not an agenda, it's people with experience buying from craiglist who gave an opinion, that would most likely be people who buy a lot of gear. When I need help running a DZ i'll call you, when I need an opinion if something is good or legit on Craigslist or here on the BST i'll call Paul.