bigbearfng

Stolen/missing?

Price is a flag. A new SMART isn't cheap, and one with no rides should hold value well.

The container looks a little ragged out, and I don't know jack shit about the main, but again too cheap for something with under 100 jumps, unless it is an old design.

Doesn't really pass the the sniff test.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I'd say legit. It's probably mid-1990's J-1, which is a smaller container for most beginners. Non-brand name and small main, even with low jump #'s it doesn;t make it more attractive. Ok, the Smart is the best thing about this rig, but no DOM on the reserve or rides. I'd say it's a good deal, not a great deal though. I'd pass on it personally.

Edited to add, the base rings say 1993 on them, so it's an early 1990's rig. Looks to be more than 200 jumps on the container with the fading going on.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I got a crazy idea. Call the person. You are a jumper, you can sniff out a non jumper.

I don't beat around the bush on gear. Hey I think it is pretty cheap, I was worried it might be stolen.

I also ask about their jumping. When you get someone who starts talking about how they love high HALO water jumps, you get a pretty good indication that they are full of shit!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

I don't know jack shit about the main

Perche VIP is a quite old design, I've only ever seen one and that was years ago and then it was ancient already too :P. It flies very very flat; it was modeled after the paragliders of the time.
Might be fun to swoop one in a competition for distance: slooooow but won't sink :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

DougH

I got a crazy idea. Call the person. You are a jumper, you can sniff out a non jumper.

I don't beat around the bush on gear. Hey I think it is pretty cheap, I was worried it might be stolen.

I also ask about their jumping. When you get someone who starts talking about how they love high HALO water jumps, you get a pretty good indication that they are full of shit!

I figured if it was stolen and someone here recognized it/could confirm it as such, then the approach to take would not include tipping off the seller.

I figured if it was stolen and someone here recognized it/could confirm it as such, then the approach to take would not include tipping off the seller.

This.

A few years ago someone posted a craiglist ad on FB saying it looked suspicious. I recognized the gear and asked the jumper if it had been stolen--she told me it had. someone had broken into her car a few weeks prior and stole her gear bag.

The police contacted the seller and arranged to "buy" the gear and ended up recovering the stolen items and returning. If someone had tipped off the seller that people thought their listing was hot they might have just dumped it and walked away

dragon2

It flies very very flat; it was modeled after the paragliders of the time.
Might be fun to swoop one in a competition for distance: slooooow but won't sink :ph34r:

sounds like fun!

If anyone buys it and wants to sell the main, I might be interested... ;)

I know for many of you this might not be a lot of cash.

But the fact that your skipping an inspection as part of the deal is the biggest red flag!

Escrow service, Inspection, all of that kind of thing!

C

Or take the risk and if it turns out bad, you have learned something!

Sometimes if the seller isn't willing, (there is another sucker just down the road,) I would walk, and I would never purchase without some rigger to blame later....

and I would also pay my rigger for this service!

Jumpers don't generally sell shit on Craig's list and they certainly don't point out that rigs aren't "toys."
The important information that a jumper would want to tell yo is MISSING! But the "lines" are all there!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

likestojump

Please stop selling your opinions as facts. They aren't...

If I have said something that is incorrect feel free to improve upon what I have said.

Other than that perhaps many should know you do a thriving business on e-bay.

Bypassing other riggers and selling equipment that you alone have given your stamp of approval.

I would imagine if every buyer of equipment wanted to run it by their own rigger, that would really cramp your sales???

That's a question?

C

I think the kid has a valid point wanting to protect other jumpers. He took the time to post the ad, and quite frankly I agree that it smells. No harm in checking serial numbers, which are missing in this Craig's listing.

Is it your ad?

I will say that yo have a great e-bay rating however:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/likestojump .

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2FComplete_Systems%2FJavelin_main_and_reserve_-_Great_Condition_154657.html;d=1

It's now listed on this site if anyone is interested, with serial #'s. I stand by my first assumption that it was legit and a ok deal, not a screaming deal.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

ChrisD

***Please stop selling your opinions as facts. They aren't...

If I have said something that is incorrect feel free to improve upon what I have said.

Bypassing other riggers and selling equipment that you alone have given your stamp of approval.

I would imagine if every buyer of equipment wanted to run it by their own rigger, that would really cramp your sales???

That's a question?

C

I think the kid has a valid point wanting to protect other jumpers. He took the time to post the ad, and quite frankly I agree that it smells. No harm in checking serial numbers, which are missing in this Craig's listing.

Is it your ad?

It's like this Chris. Paul is a dependable used gear dealer with a track record of good reliable service to his customers. He is known on this forum as someone who will occasionally participate in discussions and give reasonable, well thought out valuable opinions.

You on the other hand are known to give rambling, partly incoherent, highly biased and opinionated rants with a high level of anger at some meaningless regional politics that you are involved in. Most people here just ignore you. You reap what you sow.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

ChrisD

That's a question?

C

Is it your ad?

This thread is not about me, but rather about an ad that someone thought may have been for stolen gear. Your came in in started (as usual) passing off your unsubstantiated opinions as novels.

Let me rebuke a few of your points :
* Check out the ads in classifieds on this site, majority are missing serials as well. I doubt most are stolen.
* I cannot improve on what you have said incorrectly, as I would just be improving something that is still wrong.
* "That's a question? " <--- I thought long and hard, and I agree, that is a question. However I fail to answer it. Sorry.

You are welcome to discuss me in a separate thread, but I doubt you will do much aside from boosting my sales.

anyways, please see my schema of your past posts :

......Useless un-knowledgeble babble

...ChrisD

ChrisD

That's a question?

C

Is it your ad?

I am answering the OP's question.

His name is Pete.

He like many people who are interested in purchasing gear and actually helping others avoid making bad decisions and or getting burned by a scam is doing something other than promoting their own business.

I am well aware of Paul's reputation, but this thread isn't about Paul and his business.

It's turning into supporting those who run a business and the fact that they don't like all of the hoops like an escrow service because of the extra work involved.

There is also the fact that many people don't like private sales because of the risk involved and the many, many scams which have actually taken place here on this internet forum.

And of course we have a number of rigs that disappear from unlocked cars and more than a few rigs that disappear from supposedly safe Dz's.

Sorry to ramble on,...

but your either for skydivers and promoting safe gear purchases or your promoting your own interests...

there are so many things some people here could have said to check legitimacy or share their accumulated knowledge to protect the buyer.

Notice my concern is protecting the buyer.

Not promoting someone's business.

C

I did in fact ask a question of a business man:

This is a discussion forum, you can answere the question or once again ignore it by name calling. ?

Your choice.

And I also fail to understand how someone can freely admit their making a wild ass guess by giving their opinion of someone else's advertisement??? :

"I stand by my first assumption "

WAG's.

However well intended, it's not your money, is it???? Try not to make supportive sentences and in that same sentence admit your making a guess.... what if it is a scam, and quite frankly I don't give a rats ass if at some point it shows up here either, that is no grantee of the quality or condition of any gear.

And if you actually know the seller, please post their name and or their home dz for verification. Most jumpers want to help other jumpers sell their stuff. Apparently you recognized the TEXT only number as some jewelry store that because it shares the same name as a popular skydiving store that makes this legit?? JVX strikes again, with rather sophisticated bs, and someone else seconds another WAG??? From a jewelry store??? This still has scam written all over it. Great news if someone makes this purchase and it turn out all okedoke, but not a one of you is going to stand by your comment's if some poor unsuspecting sap gets burned.

And glad to help ya with your sales :)

Caution! "This ad was posted less than 7 days after this user registered.,..." Even the dropzone.com people are warning you!!!

this ad still stinks,....but JVX knows them, that will make it ok, anyone who doesn't use a service on this one should be very concerned.

ChrisD

I did in fact ask a question of a business man:

This is a discussion forum, you can answere the question or once again ignore it by name calling. ?

Your choice.

You asked a rhetorical question. And naturally, no shit, if one's sales cycle is slown down, it naturally cramps their sales.

Riddle me this, oh great one : If every single skydiving gear related sale has to go through a middle man, who would you broker your ChutingStar purchases through ? What about your ParaGear orders ? What about Square1 orders ?

Anyways, bringing this back to scope : Just because YOU think an ad is a scam, doesn't make it a scam.

We may be a nation that likes to hold peoples' hands and protect them from themselves, but let's leave logic and reasoning an open, personal choice, shall we ?

In your profile you list you location as San Diego, your country of origin as Zimbabwe and your home DZ as Deland. You don’t list you jump history or your name. Your posts are in many cases condescending and in most cases long, rambling and wrong.

I think you will notice that fewer and fewer people will respond to your posts.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I am not saying that "every sale" should go thru a middle man.
I am promoting escrow service, via, individuals such as yourself, and Chuting Star, and the gear shop at Perris, etc.,.

I am promoting that anyone who is interested in purchasing gear, in this scam environment, do what they can to protect their investment and safety. The internet is full of people that will sell anything to make a buck as you are well aware. Here on Dropzone.com we have a rather large section devoted to scams and again a rather large number of victims that have been scammed.

I'm not the one who thought this sale is a scam, the OP was the one, I read what they posted and viewed the link, I still think it's a scam, and if it isn't I would have serious doubts about purchasing this dusty appearing equipment, how old? with 35 jumps and other wild estimates.

I am promoting a thorough inspection before cash exchanges hands.

I do believe I am as well as other very experienced jumpers have a valid point on this regard.

C

Yes, it's a bit of a rhetorical question. But it's a difficult decision for those jumpers that are not near a gear store or aware of all the fine, although sometimes obtuse individuals that purchase and sell gear.

While I fully agree about personal choice, I also believe that as a purchaser of skydiving gear I have an unalienable right to have it inspected before I plunk down my hard earned cash.

Something I learned once from the owner of Neiman Marcus:

"your in retail, you take their money, you take their shit,..."

Somebody tells me that they have fully inspected their gear, especially skydiving stuff, it don't mean shit to me! If I can't inspect it or they refuse to escrow, then I move on, but that's me,...

This isn't about you, this isn't about me, this is about spotting shitty gear, not getting scammed, and paying it back to all the newbies that don't know any better.

This is what I see in this posting:

1. The OP has a concern about an ad in Craig's list, I feel his concerns are just and warranted!

2. Not a jumper selling gear, but a Facebook jewelry site, which means most likely this gear is from a storage unit, sold at auction, and it has been sitting around for the last ten years, baking in the hot sun. And yes that is just a guess.

3. JVX says he knows the person.

4. Another well meaning individual says basically he thinks it's ok, he has no basis to make that claim.

5. No one has forwarded any information on how to protect yourself from scams or ensure that if in fact this is auction gear, how to inspect it. You are perfectly able to do this, but for some reason have chosen not to?

6. Anyone check on the serial number by calling Aerodyne?

There are lots of things people can do to protect themselves, when I see so many blindly supporting the legitimacy, or not, this kind of irks me...but that's just me.

I have a hard time with language, thanks for putting up with my bad English and spelling, I am getting better. :)
As for my tone or if I appear to know everything, I have stated many times in the past, that is the value of a public forum and you can correct my omissions or mistakes, other than that:

Deal with it,

people see things differently and speak differing languages
No one is forcing you to read anything here...

B|