1 1
hech117

Dropzones that go above 14k ft

hech117

I am looking to do some traveling soon and want to hit up the DZs that have loads that go above 14,000 ft. Can you list off some.

Thanks,
Hech

Monterey Bay in California does 18k, I've done >20 at Eloy as well.

You're not likely to beat the comment above mine, though…
cavete terrae.

devildog

I've been toying with the idea of going here for a while now. Is it just me, or did the price spike recently? I could swear it used to be in the $350 range, now they're advertising it at $550. Am I imagining that?

Also, I know where this is located, but why don't they give their location anywhere on the site, except on the calendar (which is for some reason full of scuba diving course listings)? Did they start to travel around with it?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

I've been toying with the idea of going here for a while now. Is it just me, or did the price spike recently? I could swear it used to be in the $350 range, now they're advertising it at $550. Am I imagining that?

Also, I know where this is located, but why don't they give their location anywhere on the site, except on the calendar (which is for some reason full of scuba diving course listings)? Did they start to travel around with it?

Yup, used to be 350-400. Planning on going there once I move back stateside, annoyed to see it's risen but that's the game. High enough now that I question how much I want to do it.
cavete terrae.

ZHills has regular High Altitude Loads for experienced B License and higher skydivers only. You jump from from 22000' for $60 (price does includes the altitude and the oxygen and a near two-minute freefall)B|.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

Depending on exactly how far you are intending to travel, Target Skysports (Hibaldstow) in the UK and Skydive Spain (Seville) in, uh, Spain both go to 15k on most lifts.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

hech117

I am looking to do some traveling soon and want to hit up the DZs that have loads that go above 14,000 ft. Can you list off some.

Thanks,
Hech

West Tennessee Skydiving goes to 14,500' on every load. Also offer oxygen jumps from 23,000' and 28,000'. http://www.SkydiveKingAir.com

Mike Mullins

riggerrob

Going above 12,500 feet without supplemental oxygen is ... silly ...
The sad part is that most skydivers are too ... confident .. to recognize when they are hypoxic.

I think you mean "Tuesday." I can drive higher than that out here :P It's fun to take visitors from the coast up into the mountains and watch them fall over when they get out of the car. I do try to warn them not to try to walk and talk at the same time.

I did notice a HUGE difference in my skydiving endurance down in Eloy. If I grit my teeth I can make it through about 5 full altitude (~17K MSL) jumps here before I'm done for the day. In Eloy, where 13K AGL is a few thousand feet lower, I felt like I could keep going for as long as I wanted to. I feel the same way about hop and pops here.

I did land after a night jump here with a longer-than-usual stay at 17K and noticed that my brain-thing wasn't working as well as it usually does. I opted out of a second jump that night. Some other folks on that load decided to break out the oxygen. If I know I'm going to be spending more than a few minutes at full altitude in the future, I'd definitely hit the oxygen tank for that.

I'd love to do a 18K jump from some sea-level DZ. That's a normal altitude for me, but a good bit more freefall time. A 18K AGL high pull would be awesome!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

JeffCa

These guys travel. If you local DZ has enough people interested, they bring a truck full of gear to rig the aircraft and the jumper. When I saw them last it was $350 a jump, but that was from a mere 25,000 feet. Extra money for extra altitude maybe?

I don't know, you might be able to to book them for your DZ's next boogie.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought the FARs required supplemental oxygen to be provided to passengers above 15k MSL, and I though crew (pilots) were required to use oxygen above 15k MSL, too.

- Dan G

DanG

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought the FARs required supplemental oxygen to be provided to passengers above 15k MSL, and I though crew (pilots) were required to use oxygen above 15k MSL, too.

Close. Crew required to use it above 14 or after 30 min above 12.5.
Passengers must be provided with (they aren't required to use it, but it must be available) above 15.

All altitudes MSL. FAR 91.211

My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that a few DZs at higher elevations have waivers that allow them to take jumpers higher without oxygen.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Close. Crew required to use it above 14 or after 30 min above 12.5.
Passengers must be provided with (they aren't required to use it, but it must be available) above 15.

All altitudes MSL. FAR 91.211

My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that a few DZs at higher elevations have waivers that allow them to take jumpers higher without oxygen.

Thanks, I remember it now. I've jumped from above 15k a few times. There was definitely no oxygen available. I have no idea if waivers were filed or not.

- Dan G

DanG

Oxygen is available if a skydiver needs it. Apparently there's a waiver in place, as most of the people here are acclimated to higher altitudes. Couple of the guys LIVE pretty close to the altitude that most dropzones jump from.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

***Going above 12,500 feet without supplemental oxygen is ... silly ...
The sad part is that most skydivers are too ... confident .. to recognize when they are hypoxic.

I think you mean "Tuesday." I can drive higher than that out here :P It's fun to take visitors from the coast up into the mountains and watch them fall over when they get out of the car. I do try to warn them not to try to walk and talk at the same time.

I did notice a HUGE difference in my skydiving endurance down in Eloy. If I grit my teeth I can make it through about 5 full altitude (~17K MSL) jumps here before I'm done for the day. In Eloy, where 13K AGL is a few thousand feet lower, I felt like I could keep going for as long as I wanted to. I feel the same way about hop and pops here.

I did land after a night jump here with a longer-than-usual stay at 17K and noticed that my brain-thing wasn't working as well as it usually does. I opted out of a second jump that night. Some other folks on that load decided to break out the oxygen. If I know I'm going to be spending more than a few minutes at full altitude in the future, I'd definitely hit the oxygen tank for that.

I'd love to do a 18K jump from some sea-level DZ. That's a normal altitude for me, but a good bit more freefall time. A 18K AGL high pull would be awesome!

As mentioned above Skydive35 in central Texas go to 17.5K several times a day.

Directly from the Government Printing Office:

§91.211 Supplemental oxygen.
(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry—

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those altitudes; and

(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.

In other words, the pilot needs to be on oxygen above 14k, above 12.5k after thirty minutes, and supplemental oxygen needs to be provided for passengers at a cabin altitude above 15k. It's your choice whether or not you take advantage of the oxygen provided.

I spent a couple days jumping in Houston at Spaceland last summer, according to my Viso 14,400 feet is the lowest I got out of an aircraft there.

Reply:

I believe you are wrong. I am almost certain that the FAA would never grant such a waiver. However, above 15,000' MSL each occupant must be PROVIDED with oxygen, they need not use it (except the flight crew with the 12,500 & 14,000 ft rules).

There are DZs that take occupants higher than 15,000' MSL without providing oxygen, although they claim it is there. One DZ, which will remain unnamed, that advertised 18,000' jumps told those that questioned the oxygen supply that the oxygen "came out of the air vents", which is of course so absurd it is comical.

Mike Mullins