NSEMN8R

Descending in a 182

We've been keeping it at 15" mp and 2200 rpm and descending at 120
for 2 min then 140 for 2 min then 150 the rest of the way down.

It's a '57 182a so no cowel flaps.

We never let the hottest cylinder get over 420 on the way up.

Had 2 cracked cylinders at the last 100hr.

How do you guys do it?

Starting jump run MP and prop RPM go to the bottom of their green arcs, descend at 140 after all jumpers exit slowly pulling power to keep the MP at the bottom of the arc through the descent.

Also in a 182 with no cowl flaps, and we haven't had to change anything in several years except an aileron hinge and a flap track from a former pilot who likes to practice sloppy aerobatics [:/]

Do you have a single or multi probe CHT? 420 is higher than I like to see, I try too keep below 400.

The factory probe on my 182 was on the #1 cylinder, after I put on a 6 probe cht I found my number 2 cylinder running 50 degrees hotter during the climb, #1 is usually 360, while #2 was 410.

This is what works for me most of the time. 56 182 with electronics international engine 6 cylinder analyzer.

I keep cylinder temp below 400 with airspeed and mixture. Climb between 85 and 90 depending on ambient temps. I try to be 2 minute early on jump run to start the cooling process. I put the EI into shock cool mode. This shows the cooling rate of the cylinders in degrees per minute. This helps with the shock cooling on the cut. After they're gone 15 inches and 2200 rpm. Descend at 500 fpm for 2 thousand feet. By then the cyl head temps are below 300 and they won't be shock cooled below that temp. Then it's carb heat and idle, 115 indicated airspeed which slows the tach time. Turn full loads to 10000 agl in about 28 minutes.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.