ubauerle

About CompAir 8

Depends on the regulations in the country you'll want to be using it in.

On paper it looks great, but since it's a "Kit" aircraft and not a certified production aircraft, it is not eligible for commercial use in the USA.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

They seem to be popular in South America. Skydive Andes operates one.
I heard that there is one in Finland, but info was second hand and I`m not sure if it is used for skydiving.

OTOH, if I remember correctly, there were at least two videos online of Compair stalls and resulting back-spin which ended in total destruction of the plane. Coincidence?
dudeist skydiver #42

I heard that there is one in Finland, but info was second hand and I`m not sure if it is used for skydiving.

Its owned and operated by Suomen Urheiluilmailijat Ry (its all in Finnish but there are pretty pictures). It was built and designed for skydiving only. The owners/pilots skydive themself also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42aTPEFG9vk

It takes 10 jumpers to 4000m (13,2k ft) in 8-12 mins. Jump prices this year were:

22€ to 4000+ m
26€ to 5000+ m
30€ to FL195
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Depends on the regulations in the country you'll want to be using it in.

On paper it looks great, but since it's a "Kit" aircraft and not a certified production aircraft, it is not eligible for commercial use in the USA.

Not only is it not eligible for commercial use, but it can't be used for skydiving at all in the US.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Hi I built and fly my own airplane. In the US they are registered under a Special Airworthy Certificate. The operating limitations specifically exclude skydiving among other things.

- is Your aircraft CompAir 8?
- is Your aircraft registered in U.S.?
What goes around, comes later.

If I'm not entirely mistaken its possible because its not used commercially and in order to skydive from it you need to be member of the voluntary association that owns and operates it.

So, if you would want to do tandems out of it, passengers would have to become club members (with an expensive membership card)?
dudeist skydiver #42

If I'm not entirely mistaken its possible because its not used commercially and in order to skydive from it you need to be member of the voluntary association that owns and operates it.

I joined the club at summer and i remember signing a waiver that basically said "I aknowledge that this plane is experimental and is not maintained by a controlled maintenance organization. I also understand it does not have seatbelts"

I think atleast in finland the tandem studenys have to be members of the skydiving club that they do their tandem in. Thats why our club looks huge on paper.

I joined the club at summer and i remember signing a waiver that basically said "I aknowledge that this plane is experimental and is not maintained by a controlled maintenance organization. I also understand it does not have seatbelts"

I think atleast in finland the tandem studenys have to be members of the skydiving club that they do their tandem in. Thats why our club looks huge on paper.

This info is world changing :)
What goes around, comes later.

So, if you would want to do tandems out of it, passengers would have to become club members (with an expensive membership card)?

CSPA went through this battle 20 years ago.
Eventually, Transport Canada concluded that all skydiving students are the same as airline passengers, ergo all skydiving airplanes in Canada must be commercially registered, flown by commercial pilots and maintained to commercial standards.
Only a handful of skydiving clubs still operate in Canada, but all their airplanes are commercially registered.

CSPA went through this battle 20 years ago.
Eventually, Transport Canada concluded that all skydiving students are the same as airline passengers, ergo all skydiving airplanes in Canada must be commercially registered, flown by commercial pilots and maintained to commercial standards.
Only a handful of skydiving clubs still operate in Canada, but all their airplanes are commercially registered.

Similar future awaits in this country too... [:/]
dudeist skydiver #42

Yes, if you do a tandem, you'll get a club membership for a year. However there is no membership card. If you do however join The Finnish Aaronautical Association you'll get a membership card which states the club you're member of.

Shamefully I have to admit that I have no recollection what the waiver states.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

This is the link to a video of stall/crash that I mentioned.
And this is thread about it here.

I think there is a video of another compair stall out there but I`m not sure.
Someone mentioned small tail surfaces which would make stall exit procedure more difficult.

My point is, if you were running experimental AC and shit like this happen, authorities would be all over it and that would be the end (for you, your skydiving operation, experimental AC usage etc...).

Better solution to cheap turboprop would be SM-92T TURBO-FINIST. It`s rather cheap and it`s not experimental.
dudeist skydiver #42

maxtreme

Better solution to cheap turboprop would be SM-92T TURBO-FINIST. It`s rather cheap and it`s not experimental.

Service ceiling: 3,000 m (9,840 ft)
good luck for skydiving.

It's very hard to believe that a Walter M601 (now GE) turboprop can only take this light aircraft to 10.000'. Wikipidea is showing this service ceiling for the Finist, not the TURBO Finist.

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

neandertal

good luck for skydiving.

It's very hard to believe that a Walter M601 (now GE) turboprop can only take this light aircraft to 10.000'. Wikipidea is showing this service ceiling for the Finist, not the TURBO Finist.

Yup. Walter delivers 500hp link and if you look for DZs that operate Finists they go fast to 4000m+.For example, follow the link.
dudeist skydiver #42

Did a couple of jumps from it. Climbed rather good, no issues on exit, at least for those few jumps.

Got canned after some red tape from authorities...
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

maxtreme

good luck for skydiving.

...................................................................................

I suspect that 9,840 feet is more of a legal ceiling than a practical ceiling, because to cruise at higher than 1,000 feet, for more than 30 minutes you need supplemental oxygen.
Similarly, plenty of turboprop airplanes are only certified to 25,000 foot operating ceilings, because above 25,000 feet the rules for supplemental oxygen and cabin pressurization get more complex and expensive.
For example, the deHavilland DH-5 Buffalo holds multiple time-to-climb world records (some above 30,000 feet) but is only certified for operation up to 25,000 feet.