2 2
funjumper101

Woke what is it

26 minutes ago, winsor said:

I came across this article:

https://mises.org/wire/power-woke-how-leftist-ideology-undermining-our-society-and-economy

which addresses the various positive and negative, historical and current definitions of 'woke.'  It also goes into the ESG commitments by major corporations, and their financial motivations.  

Right, wrong or indifferent, I found the points made by the author to be worthy of consideration.

Yeah, I’m sure a guy who thinks tax shouldn’t exist is a real deep thinker. Never mind a guy who believes in the pure unfettered free market claiming that big corporations are destroying society by pushing wokeness. I’m sure his various personalities have a great time debating each other.

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Professional models and sumo wrestlers are stuck with these body models as a job requirement, but that doesn't make either end of the spectrum a model of healthiness.

Sumo wrestlers are actually an outlier when looking at weight-to-health, due to their rigorous daily exercise regime:

Sumo wrestlers eat up to 7,000 calories a day, yet they aren't unhealthy

37 minutes ago, kallend said:

There has not been a sudden change in the genetic makeup of the population in the past 20 years to account for this.   This is entirely behavioral, and under the control of the individual.

Other than the 7 pounds or so that you came into the world with, every additional ounce went in through your mouth.

Source https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesityspacer.png

That said, children in the last 40-50 years consume a hugely greater portion of chemicals, antibiotics, and hormones in their food. Since (just as an example) cortisone is shown to increase weight, maybe, just maybe, there are other effects. This is seen within much of industry as a systemic problem now, much like drug and alcohol addiction. Only in the case of food, one can't avoid it entirely.

I'm not saying that overeating doesn't enter into the equation, just that it might be more complicated than "it's an easy fix - just stop eating so much"

Wendy P

27 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

That said, children in the last 40-50 years consume a hugely greater portion of chemicals, antibiotics, and hormones in their food. Since (just as an example) cortisone is shown to increase weight, maybe, just maybe, there are other effects. This is seen within much of industry as a systemic problem now, much like drug and alcohol addiction. Only in the case of food, one can't avoid it entirely.

I'm not saying that overeating doesn't enter into the equation, just that it might be more complicated than "it's an easy fix - just stop eating so much"

Wendy P

The obese can make all the excuses they want (and do).  The fact remains that every ounce over their birth weights went in through their mouths.   Being obese does not fall in the same category as being black or being female.  It is more like smoking or drug use, being almost 100% avoidable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kallend said:

The obese can make all the excuses they want (and do).  The fact remains that every ounce over their birth weights went in through their mouths.   Being obese does not fall in the same category as being black or being female.  It is more like smoking or drug use, being almost 100% avoidable.

Smoking is the perfect analogy, because the processed food industry has spent decades perfecting the optimum combinations of salt/sugar/fat to make junk foods as addictive as possible. An excellent book on the topic is:

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us - by Michael Moss

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Smoking is the perfect analogy, because the processed food industry has spent decades perfecting the optimum combinations of salt/sugar/fat to make junk foods as addictive as possible. An excellent book on the topic is:

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us - by Michael Moss

There are also genetic factors involved.

Some people are more susceptible to obesity (or addiction) due to their genetics.

I'm fortunate that I come from a long line of 'less fat' people.

Doesn't mean I haven't had to work pretty hard to not get fatter since turning 40.
But I've got a headstart over some.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

There are also genetic factors involved.

Some people are more susceptible to obesity (or addiction) due to their genetics.

I'm fortunate that I come from a long line of 'less fat' people.

Doesn't mean I haven't had to work pretty hard to not get fatter since turning 40.
But I've got a headstart over some.

Years ago John Stossel did a report on climbing obesity rates in the US. Then he did interviews with people about obesity. Over, and over again, they were blaming genetics. Then he showed the historical obesity rates of the previous 30 years, and asked:

"Have we genetically changed that much in 30 years?"

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

Years ago John Stossel did a report on climbing obesity rates in the US. Then he did interviews with people about obesity. Over, and over again, they were blaming genetics. Then he showed the historical obesity rates of the previous 30 years, and asked:

Oh yeah.

I'm not pretending it's the only factor.

Or even the biggest one.

1 hour ago, winsor said:

I came across this article:

https://mises.org/wire/power-woke-how-leftist-ideology-undermining-our-society-and-economy

which addresses the various positive and negative, historical and current definitions of 'woke.'  It also goes into the ESG commitments by major corporations, and their financial motivations.  

Right, wrong or indifferent, I found the points made by the author to be worthy of consideration.

BSBD,

Winsor

I just love that article title about how "leftist ideology" is undermining society. Which basically means that progress and change are ruining everything, a typical conservative viewpoint. The reality is that we who have the good fortune of living in one of the western democracies, the most progressive and liberal societies ever, are living the in the most pleasant circumstances on average ever enjoyed in the history in mankind. And somehow you want to believe that being more tolerant of people who are different is going to cause that to come crashing down?  

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

I just love that article title about how "leftist ideology" is undermining society. Which basically means that progress and change are ruining everything, a typical conservative viewpoint. The reality is that we who have the good fortune of living in one of the western democracies, the most progressive and liberal societies ever, are living the in the most pleasant circumstances on average ever enjoyed in the history in mankind. And somehow you want to believe that being more tolerant of people who are different is going to cause that to come crashing down?  

Well, duh.

Don't you realize that if we (the US that is, I know you aren't part of that) had allowed Trump to steal the election, dismiss the Constitution and allow him to become "president for life" (which some of his idiotic supporters actually want), then we'd become as corrupt and inept as...

Russia.

How's that working for them?

We really need a 'sarcasm' font on here. 

1 hour ago, winsor said:

I have, however, been the target of racially motivated violence, and have lost out on jobs because I didn't meet criteria for any of the company's hiring quotas.

Bravo for being alert to injustice in society!

But that raises an important question.  Now that you are woke, are you now a joke?  Or is that just for other people?

14 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Now that we understand epigenetics better - the answer is "probably."

On 2/27/2023 at 9:48 AM, billvon said:

Now that we understand epigenetics better - the answer is "probably."

This is what scares me about the Woke Left, "probably"......So let's just leave it at that.

I find this a sic mind set.Ignore the consequences of "probably". Just follow  to your Godernments dietary requirements,and diabetes will just be a genetic predisposition over the next 30 years too.

For the love of Gov, don't "Follow the evidence or where it may Lead "

Being woke is past tense,and definitely not Awake,Awake to the realities around us ,today.

A mass psychosis of the Academic anointed so intelligent,so progressive, as to know how to arrange our society for us. This is for the collective good, to ensure equitable results. A Racist admissions system to self segregating College Campus all while educating us on Systemic racism. Mao would be proud.

Ridiculous vax ethicacy standards, Mandates without any thought of individual rights, Quarantines in America, not of the ill but of the healthy., school closures and the damage being done to our children, Woke is Cowardice.

We really should let this thread dei and redirect this thread and the moderators to the OG, "Woke is Broke" where woke goes to D.I.E.

2 hours ago, richravizza said:

This is what scares me about the Woke Left, "probably"......So let's just leave it at that.

I find this a sic mind set.Ignore the consequences of "probably". Just follow  to your Godernments dietary requirements,and diabetes will just be a genetic predisposition over the next 30 years too.

Are you smoking fatties again?

On 2/25/2023 at 11:45 PM, gowlerk said:

Scott Adams, and Dilbert cancelled for being still asleep.

Rolling Stone founder has his Dilbert moment

Wenner’s interviews in his book The Masters offered the perspectives of musicians such as Bono, Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen and Pete Townshend – all of whom are white men.

He told the Times that the selection “was not a deliberate selection … insofar as the women (and Black artists), just none of them were as articulate enough on this intellectual level”.

Sure. To be fair I bet it is real hard to find a woman or black person as intellectually articulate as Mick Jagger.