2 2
funjumper101

Woke what is it

34 minutes ago, winsor said:

A disease of denial by any measure.

Thanks for telling us know your position. Deny all you want, it's an accurate definition.

The other side of the coin, the Sleep (or denial as you've claimed) side shall we say, is simply an attempt to use the word as a demeaning insult.

3 hours ago, normiss said:

Thanks for telling us know your position. Deny all you want, it's an accurate definition.

The other side of the coin, the Sleep (or denial as you've claimed) side shall we say, is simply an attempt to use the word as a demeaning insult.

Many synonyms for "naive to the point of mentally challenged" are demeaning insults, so 'woke' is in good company.

4 hours ago, winsor said:

Many synonyms for "naive to the point of mentally challenged" are demeaning insults, so 'woke' is in good company.

Speaking of mentally challenged. Keep refusing to acknowledge the history of the word while clutching onto the incorrect meaning with an insistence on demeaning and insulting.

I shouldn't be surprised nor disappointed, and given your history here I won't be.

<re-enabling the ignore function> ahhhhhhh

2 hours ago, normiss said:

Speaking of mentally challenged. Keep refusing to acknowledge the history of the word while clutching onto the incorrect meaning with an insistence on demeaning and insulting.

I shouldn't be surprised nor disappointed, and given your history here I won't be.

<re-enabling the ignore function> ahhhhhhh

Many buzzwords harken to definitions which can only be seen as favorable, but often wind up meaning something else altogether - to the point of approaching the complete opposite.

Like it or not, 'woke' has become a billion dollar business, where corporations purchase indulgences in the form of 'diversity, equity and inclusion' training and 'community organizers' shake them down as a security racket.

The whole system is beneath contempt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

For being an ignorant hateful racist.

Now the right can be outraged over how another poor, misunderstood comic is being cancelled because he was not politically correct.

Unlike Kathy Griffin, who should be banned for her horrible violent attack on Trump.

18 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Nah. 

Not for being 'asleep'.

For being an ignorant hateful racist.

There's a difference.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/26/1159580425/newspapers-have-dropped-the-dilbert-comic-strip-after-a-racist-rant-by-its-creat

Anyone who duplicates statements from proponents of 'diversity, equity and inclusion,' but switches black for white and vice versa, would be labeled the most abhorrent from of racist out of hand. 

The most racist diatribes I've ever endured have been directed against perceived racism.

My point is not that racism is okay; I call foul when cherry picking is involved.

BSBD,

Winsor 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winsor said:

The most racist diatribes I've ever endured have been directed against perceived racism.

My point is not that racism is okay; I call foul when cherry picking is involved.

There are more than one dimensions at play, though. Because power is the other main one, and generally minorities and women have less of it. Those categories overlay each other, as they overlay race, and plenty of others, like political persuasion, education level, obesity, and where you live.

Each person gets to decide which category is most important, and at any given moment. The person with power doesn’t get to decide for them.

And rude is rude, no matter what color, gender, shape, or even kind of skydiving

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winsor said:

Anyone who duplicates statements from proponents of 'diversity, equity and inclusion,' but switches black for white and vice versa, would be labeled the most abhorrent from of racist out of hand. 

BSBD,

Winsor 

That you’ve endured?

No shit Sherlock, you’re not fucking black.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And rude is rude, no matter what... shape...

My wife (MD) has to be very careful now telling  people "formerly known as fat" that they need to cut down on their food consumption, for fear of being accused of shapeism.

25 minutes ago, kallend said:

My wife (MD) has to be very careful now telling  people "formerly known as fat" that they need to cut down on their food consumption, for fear of being accused of shapeism.

Mama Cass Elliot had a massive heart attack while eating a ham sandwich, she did not choke on the ham sandwich.

I recently read a blurb about some activist who touted loving one's body, regardless of its shape or condition or whatever.   She apparently succumbed to a premature death linked directly to being morbidly obese.

Karen Carpenter succumbing to Anorexia Nervosa does not appear to be a real improvement.

I've know rather a few young women whose health was compromised by the urge to achieve their preferred BMI.

Professional models and sumo wrestlers are stuck with these body models as a job requirement, but that doesn't make either end of the spectrum a model of healthiness.

The standard that 'the dose makes the poison' applies to a lot of things, and those taking a hard stance one way or another are often equally wide of the mark.

Having had a life expectancy conveniently measured in minutes on more than one occasion, I prefer to load the dice in favor of stretching out my time on the green side of the sod as opposed to having the most impressive self-esteem.  YMMV.

BSBD,

Winsor

4 hours ago, winsor said:

BSBD,

Winsor 

I'm guessing that actual victims of racism would argue that the receipt of actual racism is not comparable to the mere endurance of perceived racism. But then maybe your capacity for empathy has been vastly underrated here. 

I came across this article:

https://mises.org/wire/power-woke-how-leftist-ideology-undermining-our-society-and-economy

which addresses the various positive and negative, historical and current definitions of 'woke.'  It also goes into the ESG commitments by major corporations, and their financial motivations.  

Right, wrong or indifferent, I found the points made by the author to be worthy of consideration.

BSBD,

Winsor

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm guessing that actual victims of racism would argue that the receipt of actual racism is not comparable to the mere endurance of perceived racism. But then maybe your capacity for empathy has been vastly underrated here. 

?

I have never inflicted violence upon anyone based on race (or much of anything else), nor have I considered race as a hiring criterion.

I have, however, been the target of racially motivated violence, and have lost out on jobs because I didn't meet criteria for any of the company's hiring quotas.

Racism's racism, and it's not okay.

BSBD,

Winsor

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

I didn't read this as a first person account. To be clear, I have taken your viewpoint to be that of a privileged white male. If a misapprehension has cause me to wrong you I apologize. Please then, as I suspect I am not alone in that misunderstanding, describe the acts of overt racism from which you have suffered such that we can better comprehend why you find so called "wokeness" offensive.

Edited by JoeWeber

There has not been a sudden change in the genetic makeup of the population in the past 20 years to account for this.   This is entirely behavioral, and under the control of the individual.

Other than the 7 pounds or so that you came into the world with, every additional ounce went in through your mouth.

Source https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/overweight-obesityspacer.png

18 minutes ago, winsor said:

I have, however, been the target of racially motivated violence, and have lost out on jobs because I didn't meet criteria for any of the company's hiring quotas.

When it suits you, you work in an industry which only ever hires based purely on merit and couldn’t afford to discriminate if it wanted to. When it suits you otherwise, you work in an industry that is explicitly and overtly racist against you. 

Sounds legit.

• Like 3