NeoX

When is it OK to make/receive phone calls during a skydive?

NeoX

No! But I want to take a #selfie and send it to my friends while under canopy :)

We had one (SL) student that did exactly THAT :S
After doing absolutely worst exit I have ever seen >:(

We found about it just by coincidence.
When asked:
"Why did you took so long to pick up your gear after landing?", she said that she
"Lost her phone after landing and was trying to find it..."
"Ahem... And what were you doing with the phone...?"

It seems that common sense is gone with this generation.
I suppose that from now on the rule "Using cellphone during the jump is not permitted" should be specifically emphasized.
dudeist skydiver #42

Thanks for all the replies so far. Seems quite divisive, especially judging from the poll results!

However, I really don't see what is so unsafe about using a phone with a Bluetooth hands-free headset. Can someone explain what the actual danger of doing this is in black and white?

PS: If you're someone who performs a physical task less well if having a conversation with someone (e.g., you crashed your car once when your passenger spoke to you, or you chopped your arms off while chopping down a tree when your wife brought a cup of coffee out), then please don't answer.
He's doing his Superman thing.

NeoX

Thanks for all the replies so far. Seems quite divisive, especially judging from the poll results!

However, I really don't see what is so unsafe about using a phone with a Bluetooth hands-free headset. Can someone explain what the actual danger of doing this is in black and white?

PS: If you're someone who performs a physical task less well if having a conversation with someone (e.g., you crashed your car once when your passenger spoke to you, or you chopped your arms off while chopping down a tree when your wife brought a cup of coffee out), then please don't answer.

"Hands free models enable consumers to wear a head set or a Bluetooth device that enables them to hold a conversation over a cell phone without needing to hold the headset in your hands. When adults or teens use cell phones while driving they become distracted and lose the ability to focus on the road. According to studies conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. There were 5,870 fatalities and at least 515,000 people injured in motor accidents during 2008 that were attributed to distracted driving."

SOURCE: Distraction.gov

On a more personal note; if you're at a boogie with 30-100 canopies in the sky and people see you taking selfies or skyping... don't be surprised if,1) you get your ass kicked, and/or 2) are grounded. You know how many heads up, well-respected skydivers have had mid-air collisions resulting in fatalities when they were 100% focused?

Use your head; not your bluetooth.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

NeoX

Don't feed the troll.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Mine is pretty small, but my helmet is pretty tight. I suppose with the audible pocket empty...
I use my Android phone with Baseline as an audible via earbuds, and have received a couple phone calls over the years while under canopy. It's certainly not something I'd recommend. Even if you're the only canopy in the air, it's still a significant distraction.

JohnnyMarko

Are they really onto 111000+ A licenses?

According to the April 2014 Parachutist issue, 69700+ A license range
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

JohnnyMarko

******Are they really onto 111000+ A licenses?

I thought his seemed fackin high...

carry on, dipshits

Not intending to get involved but the BPA are issuing A licences in the 111000 range.

turkeyphant

*********Are they really onto 111000+ A licenses?

carry on, dipshits

Not intending to get involved but the BPA are issuing A licences in the 111000 range.

Bisphenol A?

JohnnyMarko

************Are they really onto 111000+ A licenses?

carry on, dipshits

Bisphenol A?Ban Parachuting Altogether

Quagmirian

***************Are they really onto 111000+ A licenses?

carry on, dipshits

Bisphenol A?Ban Parachuting Altogether

Big Poopy Asses?

I'll go out on a limb and say unless you've got Ironman-like communication technologies in your helmet, don't even bother.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

NeoX

Well you'd need a full faced helmet too, or no one would be able to hear you over the wind! Also, if you (or at least I) were to call someone in freefall, it'd probably be best to hang up or mute prior to deployment. Usually the noises that come out of me at canopy deployment time are about as disturbing as the ones that come out of me in the john, and obviously you should never, EVER be talking to anyone while you're in the john.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?