NeoX

When is it OK to make/receive phone calls during a skydive?

Is it OK to make phone calls during a skydive? Obviously, I understand the safety implications of using a mobile phone when you're supposed to be concentrating on controlling your canopy and landing. But, what about hands-free calls where you don't even have to touch or look at your phone to take calls?
I did this as a poll with some silly options for comedy value, but for some reason the poll options are not showing. Here they are anyway, but would've been better as a proper poll:
  • While in freefall! Don't forget to pull, though!

• Any time if it's your mom!

• Under canopy, to pass the time by calling friends.

• Under canopy, to manifest for the next lift.

• Under canopy, if lost or you can't remember the landing pattern.

• Only with a hands-free Bluetooth headset.

• After landing off to inform of position.

• For emergency services calls only.

• Only after landing safely.

• To say 'goodbye' when it's all gone wrong.

• Would be interested in people's opinions, though. And are there any regulations surrounding this in the UK under BPA or CAA?
    He's doing his Superman thing.

In Massachusetts you can totally use a hand-held device under canopy as long as you're not a teen operator.
    In Connecticut, you can't.

Just know the local traffic laws and you'll be fine. Is it true that in the UK you fly on the wrong side of the sky?
    I'm standing on the edge
    With a vision in my head
    My body screams release me
    My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Are you that bored with the sport already at 80 jumps? :|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NeoX

***Are you that bored with the sport already at 80 jumps? :|

No! But I want to take a #selfie and send it to my friends while under canopy :)

Are you that bored with the sport already at 80 jumps?:|
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Really?' That's prolly the most unitelligent question I've heard in my life. Sure, I carry my cell just in case I land off, or would prolly use it f/ a 911 cal, other than that I'm focused on "Diving my plan" and none of it includes "framily" calls.

Best-
    Richard

No! But I want to take a #selfie and send it to my friends while under canopy :)!

Keep it up. We'll be reading about you in the incidents section. Oh, take your selfie, and skype with your buddies in the wind tunnel!
    Best-
    Richard

NWFlyer

******Are you that bored with the sport already at 80 jumps? :|

No! But I want to take a #selfie and send it to my friends while under canopy :)

Just hope someone catches the canopy collision on video.:S
    "There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I wondered if I can make it. So I tried.. maybe 7 yrs ago.

Couple of things happened
    1. A hand grip was extraordinary strong, almost broke my phone
    2. Network selection was by default 'Automatic' so it switched to a neighbored country provider which drained my credit

Yup, I can do it under canopy
    What goes around, comes later.

FB1609

yeah love those phones right.

I was in a bar last night on the beach, just beautiful...looked around and 80% of the people were sitting around texting etc...haha

And the other 20% were taking pics of their food/drinks, right?
    "There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***yeah love those phones right.

I was in a bar last night on the beach, just beautiful...looked around and 80% of the people were sitting around texting etc...haha

And the other 20% were taking pics of their food/drinks, right?

There's a few of us that still don't own cell phones.:P
    One Jump Wonder

NeoX

***Are you that bored with the sport already at 80 jumps? :|

Go and ask CanCan and let me know how you get on with that. B|

For the technical answer, the Operations Manual is your friend (Paragraph 7)
    Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I imagine CanCan would have some choice words on this subject!

I have taken a photo in the plane and texted it to someone at 3k but wouldn't dream of using a phone under canopy - please let me know if you're on the same lift as me so I can avoid you!

Really, this is a bad idea. If you want a good picture get someone to get you landing or in the air.

ETA: looking again at your poll options it looks like you are just having fun and it is being lost in the noise of the internet. Let this be the case!

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

wicodefly

One of the reasons I love skydiving is because no one can bother me while I am doing it. It makes me feel free.

Also, mobile phone transceivers and their associated towers start to be unreliable at altitude.

That is my story as well. On vacation, gearing up, phone vibrates(work calling), no way am I going to answer it. "I must have been in the air, very unreliable".
    Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

ryoder

*********Are you that bored with the sport already at 80 jumps? :|

Just hope someone catches the canopy collision on video.:S

I would hope there is No Fucking canopy collision in the air because it would
    involve 2 people.>:(:S instead of just the OP.

If the OP is serious he can take his cell phone in the bath room and take his selfie of his junk with his rig on and send that to his friends and family:)

I am so glad I'm not jumping anymore.:)
    One Jump Wonder

NWFlyer

******Are you that bored with the sport already at 80 jumps? :|

What is the point of skydiving if you can't show your friends what an amazing and unique snow flake you are? :P

I seriously hope that nobody would be dumb enough to think it's a good idea with other canopies around you.