JeffCa

WWII paratrooper veteran makes first jump ... in 2014

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/world-war-ii-paratrooper-veteran-finally-takes-his-1st-jump-1.2653396

A World War II veteran finally completed a mission he has waited 70 years to complete.

Ralph Mayville, age 92, trained as a paratrooper in the Second World War, but the war ended before he had the chance to make his inaugural jump.

“He's never been, in his mind, entitled to wear the jump wings, either the American or Canadian ones. And now this fulfills his dream, that he can wear the wings as part of his uniform,” said family friend, Paul Chaytor.

Mayville, who's from Windsor, gathered up his courage to finally make his first jump at a skydiving school in Wainfleet, Ont., near Niagara Falls on Saturday.

The veteran and his instructor climbed to 14,000 feet in a plane and leapt out of the plane in a tandem jump.

“It was so beautiful,” said Mayville.

Generations of Mayville’s family joined him at the school to be there for his big moment.

Video:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Toronto/ID/2459763138/

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

labrys

He's never been, in his mind, entitled to wear the jump wings, either the American or Canadian ones.

Didn't he have to make training jumps to get the wings?

"The war's over and we've got all of these extra wings that we won't get to use. Here, take 8 of them."

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

labrys

He's never been, in his mind, entitled to wear the jump wings, either the American or Canadian ones.

I think the jump wings with the battle star in the middle are special in th US.

Not sure the jumper in the US gets his wings before he makes his cherry jump with his unit. I'm probably incorrect about the cherry jump. Great tradition though. :ph34r:. It is special, memorable, for lots of reasons.
One Jump Wonder

Krip

I think the jump wings with the battle star in the middle are special in th US.

Not sure the jumper in the US gets his wings before he makes his cherry jump with his unit. I'm probably incorrect about the cherry jump. Great tradition though. :ph34r:. It is special, memorable, for lots of reasons.

US military is authorized their jump wings after completion of the 5 jumps at the basic airborne course. There may be a jump number waiver but I don't know anyone who had less than 5 when they pinned them.

I would think that maybe they just didn't make them jump in the course during WWII because lack of aircraft or resources.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message