JoeWeber

Biden's SOTU Address

11 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

See. You really don't understand the issue. Everyone knows the Hondurans are better roofers.  

Second time I've been set straight in as many posts, thanks, I guess. Any chance someone could start an unknown regions of Burgundy or aged Rum thread so I can get back on the scoreboard?

38 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

So you're saying that President Biden is flexible. Willing to make compromises on the budget to contain costs. To avoid passing on to future generations of Americans massive debts. In addition to global warming, pollution, unsecured pension obligations etc. Unlike the GOP.

Just kidding. It's only when you toss out individuals like MTG. Put level headed elected officials behind doors, off the record, in committees. That concrete proposals to effect change can be put into statutes.

(edited)
31 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

To avoid passing on to future generations of Americans massive debts. In addition to global warming, pollution, unsecured pension obligations etc. Unlike the GOP.

No, Phil. The video of Lee was from 2010 when he made the exact same proposal for sunset that Biden did. The difference being; the video of Lee was a snippet of what they wanted you to hear - the GOP is trying to end Social Security et.al. They did not show the rest of what Lee had said in that video about sunsetting them; cause . . .  it's all theatre and sound bites. 

Both sides have proposed sunset legislation on Medicare, Medicaid and the VA. Each side makes it sound like it's bad when the other side proposes it. Basically, a guaranteed funding for the next five years without either side being able to use it as a weapon against other budgetary considerations (debt ceiling). Then, they evaluate the effectiveness, cost, etc. of the program in five years. 

It's all fucking theatre, man.   

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

....It's all fucking theatre, man.   

The Canadian parliament, the UK parliament, is the same. There are stupid politicians and ones that only know theater. But there are intelligent and honest ones who usually end up on committees. They get the real work done behind closed doors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

No, Phil. The video of Lee was from 2010 when he made the exact same proposal for sunset that Biden did. The difference being; the video of Lee was a snippet of what they wanted you to hear - the GOP is trying to end Social Security et.al. They did not show the rest of what Lee had said in that video about sunsetting them; cause . . .  it's all theatre and sound bites. 

“It will be my objective to phase out Social Security, to pull it up by the roots and get rid of it,”

Ok dude, you should probably show us that context because right now it seems… unlikely that he was just talking about sun setting, yeah?

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 11:23 AM, airdvr said:

Didn't watch it.  I'm trying to avoid the propaganda.  I did read about MGT's outburst.  Not the first time that's ever happened.  At least no one shredded any paper or called someone a liar.

Also, I saw an edited video online where it appeared Biden said "Capitalism is exploitation."  The fanatics jumped all over it until someone pointed out what was actually said.

James Carville gave an appraisal of MTG's behavior on Ari Melber's program. I won't repeat it but I will say she fits the description.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Both sides have proposed sunset legislation on Medicare, Medicaid and the VA. Each side makes it sound like it's bad when the other side proposes it. Basically, a guaranteed funding for the next five years without either side being able to use it as a weapon against other budgetary considerations (debt ceiling). Then, they evaluate the effectiveness, cost, etc. of the program in five years. 

It's all fucking theatre, man.   

Good thing they're not doing this with immigration!

/s

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Faicon9493 said:

James Carville gave an appraisal of MTG's behavior on Ari Melber's program. I won't repeat it but I will say she fits the description.

PWTT basically. Single wide.

The McCarthy white Jello comment is the interesting one IMO.

Edited by normiss
  • Like 1