love2drop

Medical Insurance Suggestions

Student here, I currently have medical insurance through Florida Blue but it does not cover skydiving. My agent doesn't have any insurance companies that will. \Is anyone aware of a company or organization that offers major medical or accident insurance to skydivers? Is it possible to purchase insurance that only covers you for skydiving and nothing else? Like a supplement to my existing medical. I live in Florida.

It really scares me that my insurance wont cover me if there should ever be an event.

Thanks for any suggestions.

love2drop

Student here, I currently have medical insurance through Florida Blue but it does not cover skydiving. My agent doesn't have any insurance companies that will. \Is anyone aware of a company or organization that offers major medical or accident insurance to skydivers? Is it possible to purchase insurance that only covers you for skydiving and nothing else? Like a supplement to my existing medical. I live in Florida.

It really scares me that my insurance wont cover me if there should ever be an event.

Ask to see the specific rider that states its not covered. I have never heard of someone denied medical treatment or insurance because of jumping.

Jump more, post less!

I will do that. I am not concerned about being denied treatment, I am concerned about being denied coverage for a major medical event and then my family being wiped out by the medical bills. I would rather have the DZ drag my broken carcass off the property before calling 911. If I do get hurt and I can leave DZ without 911, you can bet skydiving will never cross my lips. Ill request the exclusions on the policy but dont know why my agent would give me bum info, it doesnt mean anything to him other than I may have to find a new agent.

I would rather have the DZ drag my broken carcass off the property before calling 911.

Good luck with that - at some DZs (certainly not all) if you can't walk off the landing area with minimal assistance, 911 will be called. They're protecting themselves as well as you. (Of course if you're conscious you have the right to refuse medical treatment by the EMTs/medics, but at this point there's a record of the call.)

If I do get hurt and I can leave DZ without 911, you can bet skydiving will never cross my lips.

Good luck with that, too. It's called insurance fraud, and while you might be able to get away with it, if you don't, you could end up with even more financial issues than if you were just honest about it in the first place. Having been the victim in an accident (not skydiving related) that involved three separate insurance companies and multiple medical providers over the course of several months, I will also say that keeping the details of the truth straight is hard enough; keeping a web of lies straight would be quite difficult.

As others have mentioned, ask to see the specific policy language. What you want to look for is exclusions, which is where such things should be covered.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

love2drop

I will do that. I am not concerned about being denied treatment, I am concerned about being denied coverage for a major medical event and then my family being wiped out by the medical bills. I would rather have the DZ drag my broken carcass off the property before calling 911. If I do get hurt and I can leave DZ without 911, you can bet skydiving will never cross my lips. Ill request the exclusions on the policy but dont know why my agent would give me bum info, it doesnt mean anything to him other than I may have to find a new agent.

Yeah, you'd better not commit insurance fraud after you publish online that you intend to do so. What could go wrong?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

topdocker

***Student here, I currently have medical insurance through Florida Blue but it does not cover skydiving. My agent doesn't have any insurance companies that will. \Is anyone aware of a company or organization that offers major medical or accident insurance to skydivers? Is it possible to purchase insurance that only covers you for skydiving and nothing else? Like a supplement to my existing medical. I live in Florida.

Ask to see the specific rider that states its not covered. I have never heard of someone denied medical treatment or insurance because of jumping.

You are confusing group coverage with individual plans.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

******Student here, I currently have medical insurance through Florida Blue but it does not cover skydiving. My agent doesn't have any insurance companies that will. \Is anyone aware of a company or organization that offers major medical or accident insurance to skydivers? Is it possible to purchase insurance that only covers you for skydiving and nothing else? Like a supplement to my existing medical. I live in Florida.

You are confusing group coverage with individual plans.

Years back I was in a group plan that specified no coverage for 'amature' skydiving, auto &or motorcycle racing ...and of course war. - I fought it and since I had over 1000 jumps at the time, they said I wasn't an 'amature' thus was covered. ?? huh ?? :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

luminouslumi

The university offers a useful insurance policy that will give you all the information you need to register for your health insurance.Every students should have the medical insurance that will be very helpful for their health.

Beware of exclusions involving privately owned air plane's. When I was in college in 1970 had a medical insurance policy thru the school.

When I broke my fib jumping the claim was denied because the private acft exclusion. >:(:S

After that when someone broke one or two legs we had to them to the hospital ourselves anyway. When the Drs asked what happened. ?

Fell out of a tree:|

With the severe injuries from doing stupid shit when jumping these days :$:S

911 maybe the best choice.
One Jump Wonder