woppyvac

Lasik Eye Surgery / recovery time to jump?

I'm getting LASIK eye surgery next week, not PRK or LASEK. I've asked a my doctor, and a couple other docs, when I could return jumping. So far I've been told the following weekend to waiting four weeks. If you've had LASIK... how long did you wait until you jumped again? Did you experience any issues? Thanks.
Woot Woot!

I waited 4 weeks. I wear a full face but I did not want to risk it. I spoke to the doc and he said 2 weeks I should be fine 4 weeks totally fine. He was also a former fighter pilot and later went on to perform LASIK on many a pilots in the ilitary before retiring from service. You are going to love it! One of the best things I ever did!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

woppyvac

I'm getting LASIK eye surgery next week, not PRK or LASEK. I've asked a my doctor, and a couple other docs, when I could return jumping. So far I've been told the following weekend to waiting four weeks. If you've had LASIK... how long did you wait until you jumped again? Did you experience any issues? Thanks.

Are you getting the latest version? Flap cut with laser? If so you'll be fine. I waited 3 weeks to be safe, I also wear a full face. No issues other than dryness. Don't rub your eyes!

Regardless of other people's experiences make sure you follow the recovery procedures to the letter is all I would add...

I still use drops occasionally for dryness a couple years later but far less than I ever did with contacts or even glasses. I blame computers for this though since they cause eye-strain and screw with the rate you blink.

No problems whatsoever in freefall or tunnel whether in a full-face, sunglasses, or goggles.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I wasn't skydiving at the time but my eyes were pretty sensitive for about a month.

Had it done 9 years ago now, best 4 grand I ever spent. Would do it again in a heartbeat. I went from nearly blind to 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

rwieder

+1 / I had mine done a little over 2 years ago. I waited 4 weeks, no problem. Did wind up with dry eye for a while, my optomotrist prescribed restasis for it, very effective indeed.

Best-
Richard

9 years later I'm still addicted to the non-medicated artificial tears they gave me after I had it done. Those things are great after a 20 minute tunnel session!

I've always had dry eyes. I thought about having my tear ducts sealed permanently (They did them temporarily before the surgery) but that would just make my goggles fog up even more than they already do.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

9 years later I'm still addicted to the non-medicated artificial tears they gave me after I had it done.

Do you live in an extremely dry climate? I've never heard of this, I'm glad I didn't have that happen to me.

Best-
Richard

rwieder

9 years later I'm still addicted to the non-medicated artificial tears they gave me after I had it done.

Do you live in an extremely dry climate? I've never heard of this, I'm glad I didn't have that happen to me.

Best-
Richard

Well... Yeah, but it's not like they're bad for you. They just feel great when your eyes are dry. I always had dry eyes, even before I had Lasik. A few people do. You can have your tear ducts sealed so they don't drain if it's a problem, but then you get a lot more tears from the corners of your eyes. They don't have anywhere else to go. Normally this is just a mild annoyance, but I suspect it'd make my goggles fog up more. I'd rather have slightly dry eyes and be addicted to artificial tears than have super-foggy goggles all the time, I think.

The corneal flap is like a thin coat of skin orver the cornea and must re-grow to the "skin" that was not cut. I had my LASIK done by Dr. Joel Shugar (RIP) an active skydiver. He told me two to four weeks and to wear goggles on the two week range (to reduce dust/air). I had mine done in the winter so I ended up waiting longer anyway.

As stated here, the best money I ever spent!