gowlerk

PD "Proxy"

This may be off topic. It's about the new PD BASE/Wingsuit canopy. I have no problem with them being in this market, they've been building BASE canopies for years for other companies. And BASE jumpers deserve quality products.

But calling it "Proxy"? Really? Does the marketing department have no shame? Does proximity flying need more encouragement?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

It's all about choosing one's own level of risk to assume. Remember, 99% of the population think you and I are utterly mad for engaging in even the most docile and conservative of parachute jumps. Do DZs and skydiving equipment manufacturers have no shame by advertising their products? Does jumping out of airplanes with only fabric parachutes to save one's life need more encouragement?

Hell in a handbasket.

gowlerk

Does proximity flying need more encouragement?

If there is somebody out there who actually changes their opinion of the risk level of proximity flying, based on the name of a canopy... then I weep for our species.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Arvoitus

Swooping kills more skydivers annually then proximity WS and nobody has a problem with PD encouraging people in getting into swooping, so whats the big deal?

Not the past couple years. And where are your numbers to support this?

Seems unlikely a canopy name will have any affect on wingsuit proxy flight or those that choose to engage in it. As far as I'm concerned, PD can name a canopy "Low Pull and Dangerous Hook Turn Too Deep In the Corner" if they want... ;)

pms07

Seems unlikely a canopy name will have any affect on wingsuit proxy flight or those that choose to engage in it. As far as I'm concerned, PD can name a canopy "Low Pull and Dangerous Hook Turn Too Deep In the Corner" if they want... ;)

As a data point, I have a BASE canopy called a "Rock Dragon" and it does not encourage me to land in jagged boulder fields nor biff into cliff faces.

champu

As a data point, I have a BASE canopy called a "Rock Dragon" and it does not encourage me to land in jagged boulder fields nor biff into cliff faces.

Yeah, I've got a Troll and I... never mind[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

pms07

I understand the new PD Lpadhttditc is currently undergoing testing and production begins early next year.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

dqpacker

***Swooping kills more skydivers annually then proximity WS and nobody has a problem with PD encouraging people in getting into swooping, so whats the big deal?

Well I didn't actually check the numbers but instead used my gut feeling based on the fact that even though there were a lot of ws-base fatalities last year, they weren't all proxy. And I guesstimated the swooping deaths by ~30 fatalities in north America / per year, which accounts to roughly 50% of global, and about 40% being swooping giving higher numbers.

But now that I checked the numbers it was as far as I can tell 15 proxy WS vs. 14 swoop deaths.

So I was wrong for last year, but right for every other year before that.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

******Swooping kills more skydivers annually then proximity WS and nobody has a problem with PD encouraging people in getting into swooping, so whats the big deal?

Well I didn't actually check the numbers but instead used my gut feeling based on the fact that even though there were a lot of ws-base fatalities last year, they weren't all proxy. And I guesstimated the swooping deaths by ~30 fatalities in north America / per year, which accounts to roughly 50% of global, and about 40% being swooping giving higher numbers.

But now that I checked the numbers it was as far as I can tell 15 proxy WS vs. 14 swoop deaths.

14 swoop deaths or some swoop deaths and some low turn deaths?

also as stated by wasatchrider above, the amount of swooping that happens each year compared to the number of proxy jumps each year hurts your comparison.

Arvoitus

Swooping kills more skydivers annually than not pulling, so clearly not pulling is safer, but why is PD trying to force us to pull?

Read Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Conequences, by John Allen Paulos.

Did you know that more people were killed falling in the bathtub than by wingsuit proximity flying? So sure, do your WS proxy flight, but skip the shower afterwards. It's dangerous!

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

Did you know that more people were killed falling in the bathtub than by wingsuit proximity flying? So sure, do your WS proxy flight, but skip the shower afterwards. It's dangerous!

Does PD sell soap-on-a-rope with 300 Orange Vectran? If they don't offer it with 300 Orange Vectran I'm not interested.

dqpacker

*********Swooping kills more skydivers annually then proximity WS and nobody has a problem with PD encouraging people in getting into swooping, so whats the big deal?

also as stated by wasatchrider above, the amount of swooping that happens each year compared to the number of proxy jumps each year hurts your comparison.

Dead is dead, doesn't matter how many attempts it takes to get there.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

************Swooping kills more skydivers annually then proximity WS and nobody has a problem with PD encouraging people in getting into swooping, so whats the big deal?

Dead is dead, doesn't matter how many attempts it takes to get there.

maybe this will help you see.
3.2 million skydives made last year, let's say 500,000(low balling it) where high performance landings, and only 14 deaths.
on the base side we can't get exact numbers but my guess is it was less than 50,000(high balling it) proxy ws flights and 15 deaths.
when you do the numbers dead isn't just dead.