gowlerk

PD "Proxy"

dqpacker

***************Swooping kills more skydivers annually then proximity WS and nobody has a problem with PD encouraging people in getting into swooping, so whats the big deal?

Not the past couple years. And where are your numbers to support this?

Well I didn't actually check the numbers but instead used my gut feeling based on the fact that even though there were a lot of ws-base fatalities last year, they weren't all proxy. And I guesstimated the swooping deaths by ~30 fatalities in north America / per year, which accounts to roughly 50% of global, and about 40% being swooping giving higher numbers.

But now that I checked the numbers it was as far as I can tell 15 proxy WS vs. 14 swoop deaths.

So I was wrong for last year, but right for every other year before that.

14 swoop deaths or some swoop deaths and some low turn deaths?

also as stated by wasatchrider above, the amount of swooping that happens each year compared to the number of proxy jumps each year hurts your comparison.

Dead is dead, doesn't matter how many attempts it takes to get there.

maybe this will help you see.
3.2 million skydives made last year, let's say 500,000(low balling it) where high performance landings, and only 14 deaths.
on the base side we can't get exact numbers but my guess is it was less than 50,000(high balling it) proxy ws flights and 15 deaths.
when you do the numbers dead isn't just dead.

500,000 high performance landings?
Really? Thats 1/6 of the jumps that would be high performance landing?
What is your definition of high performance landing?
Any HP parachute landing or actual hookturns?

In my opinion it sounds high. I mean you have tandems, students, beginners, average jumpers and those who choose to not hookturn on the loads too?
But maybe not where you are?

I don't think thats high at all, I have done 1100 High performance landings in the last 8 months, not even a year yet so thats only another 454 people to go to make those numbers which isn't unreasonable as there are others out there doing more than me.

Edit to add unless you are just talking about the states then that may be slightly high, but still possible as the people doing hp landings should be current so likely doing upwards of 1000 jumps each anyway... Granted i have absolutely no idea how many people jump in the states...

mx19

I don't think thats high at all, I have done 1100 High performance landings in the last 8 months, not even a year yet so thats only another 454 people to go to make those numbers which isn't unreasonable as there are others out there doing more than me.

Edit to add unless you are just talking about the states then that may be slightly high, but still possible as the people doing hp landings should be current so likely doing upwards of 1000 jumps each anyway... Granted i have absolutely no idea how many people jump in the states...

I believe he was talking about US. I mean thats all that matters isn't it? :P

The number 3.2 million jumps made me think it was US only, because otherwise that sounds low.
But I guess it all comes down to how you define high performance landing.
But still 1/6 landings beeing high performance hookturns sounds high.

Anyways it doesn't matter.