BobxMarley

Skydiving Aircrafts

I'm trying to find a list of aircraft's that are typically used for skydiving. Also, it would be helpful to see them in order of fastest to slowest. Does anyone know or have this information? This is really only for my curiosity. I have only jumped out of a caravan and an otter. But, I'm curious about what else is out there.
Klaasic

Typical in the US?

Small to big:

Cessna 182
Cessna 206
Pilatus Porter
Cessna Caravan (208)
PAC-750
Beech King Air (several different models)
Twin Otter
Skyvan
Sherpa (stretched Skyvan)
CASA

Older and less common:
Beech 18 (Twin Beech)
Lockheed Loadstar (loadstall)
DC-3

I'm certainly forgetting a few, and I'm leaving out the less common like the C-172, Piper singles and twins. stunt planes, helos and balloons.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Amazon

Do not forget the
Turbo C-206
C-207 Turbine ( Gonzo )
Piper Navaho

All available at DZ's in Washington state

Yeah, but I'd argue not typical. C-206 was mentioned and many, if not most, are turbo. You left out DeHavilland Beaver, but once again, not typical.

Who's got the Navajo? I haven't jumped one of those in years.

JohnMitchell

***Do not forget the
Turbo C-206
C-207 Turbine ( Gonzo )
Piper Navaho

Yeah, but I'd argue not typical. C-206 was mentioned and many, if not most, are turbo. You left out DeHavilland Beaver, but once again, not typical.

Who's got the Navajo? I haven't jumped one of those in years.

Short Road trip John :)http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN930x173068404&id=YN930x173068404&q=Skydive+Toledo+Toledo+WA

I know where a Beaver is sitting but I was in one of the last groups to jump from it almost 10 years ago. He has another engine he could throw in it but I doubt that will ever happen.

JohnMitchell

***Do not forget the
Turbo C-206
C-207 Turbine ( Gonzo )
Piper Navaho

Yeah, but I'd argue not typical. C-206 was mentioned and many, if not most, are turbo. ...

Just to clarify, most Cessna 206 jump planes have stock fuel injected, piston engines. Thousands of Cessna 206s came from the factory with super-chargers installed on their piston engines. Turbo-charged 206 are popular at high-altitude DZs (e.g. Colorado) but are too expensive to maintain to be profitable at sea level DZs.

Hundreds of Cessna 206s have had Allison/Rolls-Royce 250 turbo-prop engines installed by Soloy (Olympia, Washington). Soloy 206s climb like rockets!

Van Prey Junior is in the later stages of obtaining an STC to install a Pratt & Whitney PT6A-20 in a Cessna 206.
Minivan's conversion out-climbs a Soloy!

The Soloy conversion of the Cessna 207 is the only 207 version that climbs fast enough to keep TIs awake.

ronkhensley

We have the Piper Navajo down at Skydive Toledo. Come on down any time John.

Its not much of a road trip for him.... that's why I suggested it :)

For me its 90 minutes more since I have to get thru all the freaking traffic:|

riggerrob

The Soloy conversion of the Cessna 207 is the only 207 version that climbs fast enough to keep TIs awake.

I've got a few dozen tandems out of one of those. It climbed well on take off and first couple of minutes, but then the pilot had to throttle back to stay in operating guidelines. Kind of curious for a turbine, no? We'd only go to 10,500 with the tandems out of that plane. Easy exits but lots of wind for floaters. CG was very far to the rear. That sometimes worried me.

JohnMitchell

I've got a few dozen tandems out of one of those. It climbed well on take off and first couple of minutes, but then the pilot had to throttle back to stay in operating guidelines. Kind of curious for a turbine, no? We'd only go to 10,500 with the tandems out of that plane. Easy exits but lots of wind for floaters. CG was very far to the rear. That sometimes worried me.

I think that was more of a bottom line thing when it was at Bremerton ... Some of the old Davenport types from the East side might know since it was theirs back in 2003-04. I think they used to go to full alti. Its up at Whidbey Island with Maggot now.... and they go to full alti.