wmw999

Good article on cognitive bias

On 1/31/2023 at 7:46 AM, wmw999 said:

OK, at least I thought it was good; it's a cheat sheet :tongue:

Cheat Sheet

To me, just being aware helps me to question the biases. And to accept some (I'm always going to look for the good; I'm always going to emphasize politeness and respect over conflict -- those are how I'm built).

Wendy P.

I like it.

Perception is reality.

5 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Perception is reality.

You should know that I understand this thinking of yours and I get it. But I often wonder if you understand that someone else can have a completely different perception from yours and that their reality is just as valid as yours.

17 hours ago, gowlerk said:

You should know that I understand this thinking of yours and I get it. But I often wonder if you understand that someone else can have a completely different perception from yours and that their reality is just as valid as yours.

That is the point.

23 hours ago, gowlerk said:

6 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

That is the point.

So if my perception of Evangelicals is that the vast majority (not all, but certainly most) are bigoted, hypocritical lying idiots, people who shit ALL OVER that Jesus fella and his teachings, then that's 'reality'?

11 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

So if my perception of Evangelicals is that the vast majority (not all, but certainly most) are bigoted, hypocritical lying idiots, people who shit ALL OVER that Jesus fella and his teachings, then that's 'reality'?

It is your reality.

(edited)
9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Well then, that justifies a lot mistrust, misunderstanding and a fair amount of the hatred in the world then. It must kind of suck to be you.

No, because I know who I am, where I came from, and where I am going. The Bible provides the answers.

Actually, it is more accurate to say, Whose I am.

Edited by RonD1120

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Next thing you know he'll become aware of injustice in society against some group or another and then it's all over!

I would expect that to be his perspective regarding his 3%'ers group, since they have been labelled a terrorist  group. Even by the Canadians.

59 minutes ago, normiss said:

I would expect that to be his perspective regarding his 3%'ers group, since they have been labelled a terrorist  group. Even by the Canadians.

Hey, being alert to injustice in society is the definition of being woke, even if it's a far right terrorist group.  That's a good start.  The next step is realizing that people other than you have had injustices perpetrated on them.