dbac

UK Skydiving Aircraft

Hey folks,
I'm after a little assistance from the UK readers of this forum.

Craig and I record a skydiving podcast for the UK and Euro scene. We've had a listener email from a US based gent who's moving to the UK and among other things is "getting prepared for Cessna dropzones".

I'm actually struggling to think of more than one DZ in the UK that runs a small Cessna. Ok I'm a bit biased being North London based, with six dropzones within a 2hr drive, all with turbines, so I'm after some help here to research our answer to this fella.

Please can you help fill in the blanks for me and also correct anything I've written that's not quite right?

cheers
Brian

PS It seems I'm a turbine whore and it's not often I'm on a DZ that doesn't have one. :-D

Beccles - Cessna Short Caravan
Black Knights - Pilatus Porter
Bridlington -
Cark - Pac 750
Chatteris - Twin Otter
Cornish - C206
Dunkeswell - Beech99 x2
Headcorn -
Hibaldstow - From a fleet of Dornier G92 x4, Finnist x2, Cessna Grand Caravan x1
Hinton - Pac 750
Ipsden -
Jersey -
Langar - Cessna Grand Caravan x2
Netheravon - Cessna Grand Caravan x3
Paragon -
Peterlee - Cessna Caravan
Salisbury -
Sibson - Cessna Caravan x2 and occasionally a Dornier G92
Skydive St George -
South Cerney -
St Andrews -
Strathallan -
Swansea -
Swindon -
Tilstock - Airvan
Wild Geese (NI) -

cheers mate

Bridlington - Airvan
Cark - Pac 750
Chatteris - Twin Otter
Cornish - C206
Dunkeswell - Beech99 x2
Headcorn -
Hibaldstow - From a fleet of Dornier G92 x4, Finnist x2, Cessna Grand Caravan x1
Hinton - Pac 750
Ipsden -
Jersey -
Paragon -
Salisbury -
Skydive St George -
South Cerney -
St Andrews -
Strathallan -
Swansea -
Swindon -
Tilstock - Airvan
Wild Geese (NI) -

dbac

Bridlington - Airvan
Cark - Pac 750
Chatteris - Twin Otter
Cornish - C206
Dunkeswell - Beech99 x2
Headcorn -
Hinton - Pac 750
Ipsden -
Jersey -
Paragon -
Salisbury -
Skydive St George -
South Cerney -
St Andrews -
Strathallan -
Swansea -
Swindon -
Tilstock - Airvan
Wild Geese (NI) -

Chatteris - Twin Otter / Nomad (I thought?)
Strathallan - 3x Cessna 206

Dunks also has a Caravan in addition to the (is it 2 or 3 now??) Beech 99's. The Beech's being the primary aircraft, quicker even than the Swallows' G92's and with a nice big door compared to what you often see on Beech's.

Think he'll almost be lucky to find a 206 or 182 these days, never mind a DZ that operates one as their only aircraft.

PS - VERY well done with the podcast. I've just finished the first 4 and I'm enjoying them greatly. :)

Headcorn also had a Britten-Norman Islander when I used to jump there.

Don't know if it is still there.

Thing was held together with scotch tape as far as I could see.

Great response to "why do you jump out of planes?"........."have you seen the plane we ride up in" *points to Islander*

:P

GoneCodFishing

Headcorn - Caravan

:)
I'm very fond of that plane. I particularly liked the fact that the door was (and I guess still is) held open by a bungee cord! hehe.

GoneCodFishing

Still there. One of the few planes where wearing a parachute is as much for in-air safety more so than for the actual jump when you finally get to altitude. :D

Thanks for all your comments folks. I've been informed that the BPA mag includes the planes available at each DZ in the DZ map at the back. (However it doesn't appear to be on the BPA website.)

I'll update later with all your comments and include those from the mag too.

cheers

mr2mk1g

PS - VERY well done with the podcast. I've just finished the first 4 and I'm enjoying them greatly. :)

Thanks buddy. We're pretty new so after constructive feedback. Once you've caught up if you could PM me with the bits you love and the bits you'd prefer not to hear.
cheers

Today's UK plane pedantry: G92 is not, in fact, a kind of Dornier. Those 4 awesome planes are Dornier 28s with a bigass engine upgrade :-)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

dbac

Craig and I record a skydiving podcast for the UK and Euro scene. We've had a listener email from a US based gent who's moving to the UK and among other things is "getting prepared for Cessna dropzones".

Thanks Brian.

Just to clarify, I’m not exactly concerned about transitioning to a Cessna DZ. Going from an Otter to a 206/182 is going to suck at first, I’ve accepted that. On the bright side, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to make new friends when I’m on the ground and on the ride up.

The three Scottish DZs on the Dropzone Finder appear to be Cessna operations, but that information hasn’t been updated in a while. I certainly appreciate everyone’s updates though! I might have to make a trip down south if I can afford it – I’m a postgrad student (i.e. poor) with no car.

In all honesty, I’m rather excited to start jumping at a smaller DZ. I don’t know why specifically, but I’m excited.

Cheers,

Billy

From Skydive The Mag that came out yesterday. (50th anniversary edition) www.skydivethemag.com

Black Knights - Blackhawk Caravan
Bridlington - GA8 Airvan
Cark - Pac 750XL
Chatteris - Twin Otter, Nomad
Cornish - C206 , guest aircraft
Dunkeswell - Beech99 x2 & Cessna Caravan
Headcorn - Cessna Caravan, Islander
Hibaldstow - From a fleet of Dornier G92 twin turbine x4, Finnist SMG-92 single turbine x2, Cessna Grand Caravan x1
Hinton - Pac 750XL
Ipsden - Cessna Grand Caravan, Islander
Jersey - Cessna 206, guest turbines
Netheravon - Cessna Grand Caravan x3, guest aircraft
Paragon - Cessna 182
Peterlee - Cessna Grand Caravan. Cessna 182
Salisbury - Airvan, Cessna 206 & 172
Skydive St George - Airvan
South Cerney - Cessna Caravan
St Andrews - Cessna 185, Turbo Cessna 206
Strathallan - Cessna 206 x3, guest turbine
Swansea - Cessna Caravan
Swindon - Airvan
Tilstock - Airvan
Wild Geese (NI) - Cessna 206, Cessna Caravan

12 small Cessnas amongst 26 UK DZs (not inc Weston as I don't know what's going on there right now except "not much")

Joellercoaster

Today's UK plane pedantry: G92 is not, in fact, a kind of Dornier. Those 4 awesome planes are Dornier 28s with a bigass engine upgrade :-)

Not according to Hib who supplied the mag with their info. Of course, something could be lost in translation but I've gone with what's in the mag rather than what some "crazy" on the internet says. ;-p

bjergbestiger

Thanks Brian.

Just to clarify, I’m not exactly concerned about transitioning to a Cessna DZ. Going from an Otter to a 206/182 is going to suck at first, I’ve accepted that. On the bright side, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to make new friends when I’m on the ground and on the ride up.

The three Scottish DZs on the Dropzone Finder appear to be Cessna operations, but that information hasn’t been updated in a while. I certainly appreciate everyone’s updates though! I might have to make a trip down south if I can afford it – I’m a postgrad student (i.e. poor) with no car.

In all honesty, I’m rather excited to start jumping at a smaller DZ. I don’t know why specifically, but I’m excited.

Cheers,

Billy

Yup, cool, it's well known that some of the smallest DZs can be the friendliest. Also, we had answers/comments to all your other points and questions but this answer needed a little research. :-)