1 1
JerryBaumchen

Compulsory Voting

32 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

I thought we might kick this one around:  a new proposal to make voting in elections compulsory

Washington Democrats back proposal to make voting legally required - OPB

I am opposed to any such effort.  I do not think it would accomplish anything.

Thoughts?

Jerry Baumchen

Compelling people to vote could be as simple as a $100 refundable tax credit given to anyone who does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

I thought we might kick this one around:  a new proposal to make voting in elections compulsory

Thoughts?.Jerry Baumchen

I'm with you. The goal and only sensible thing, in my view, is the removal of any and all artificial barriers to those that want to vote. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm with you. The goal and only sensible thing, in my view, is the removal of any and all artificial barriers to those that want to vote. 

Hi Joe,

I really cannot come to grips on why this 'Compulsory Voting' is even being proposed.

Our efforts should be as you post.

Jerry Baumchen

35 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

The proposed law says that a voter can return a blank ballot => voted.

Therefore, why bother?

Jerry Baumchen

#1 - It ensures that EVERYONE has the opportunity to vote. 

#2 - It pushes those who would like to vote, but get distracted or forget. I've missed a couple minor elections because I simply forgot

#3 - It makes people decide. They can vote for one or the other candidate, or they can abstain (blank ballot).

To be honest, I'm not sure that I agree with it.

But I can see some advantages.

10 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

#1 - It ensures that EVERYONE has the opportunity to vote. 

#2 - It pushes those who would like to vote, but get distracted or forget. I've missed a couple minor elections because I simply forgot

#3 - It makes people decide. They can vote for one or the other candidate, or they can abstain (blank ballot).

To be honest, I'm not sure that I agree with it.

But I can see some advantages.

Hi Joe,

I see no advantage.  I do see additional costs to process that blank ballot.

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Thoughts?

Jerry Baumchen

I think that's too onerous.  If someone doesn't vote, a ballot will be cast for them - for the best candidate, of course.

4 hours ago, winsor said:

I think that's too onerous.  If someone doesn't vote, a ballot will be cast for them - for the best candidate, of course.

Or, perhaps the vote could be sold on the open market. SCOTUS would just say it is merely another form of the constitutionally guaranteed right of money to free speech. 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Or, perhaps the vote could be sold on the open market. SCOTUS would just say it is merely another form of the constitutionally guaranteed right of money to free speech. 

Great idea. Also, maybe unamericans, Canadians for example, could be blocked from pretending they have a say in our vote. Just a small fine should do. I'm thinking, an amount equal to one artillery round should suffice.

Voting is mandatory in some Scandinavian countries ... I forget which.

They treat voting the same way they treat jury duty.

Personally ... I believe that if you don't vote, you should be forbidden to criticize any politician that does get elected. You had an opportunity to say your piece on electing day.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Great idea. Also, maybe unamericans, Canadians for example, could be blocked from pretending they have a say in our vote. Just a small fine should do. I'm thinking, an amount equal to one artillery round should suffice.

Unamericans need someone to laugh at. Thanks.

12 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Then it would only be fair for Americans who comment on Canadian political and budgetary affairs to be fined the same. How much would you owe by now, do you think?

14 hours ago, gowlerk said:

"I've got this thing and it's fucking golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for fuckin' nothing. I'm not gonna do it. And, and I can always use it.  "

On 1/30/2023 at 2:18 PM, ryoder said:

"I've got this thing and it's fucking golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for fuckin' nothing. I'm not gonna do it. And, and I can always use it.  "

Thus spake Rod Blagojevich, hero of Chicago politics. We really are a sorry lot of pretenders. The world as it is is nothing like we want it to be and it is unlikely to ever be so no matter how much recycling gets tramped to the curb.

Want to increase voter turnout? Let me download an app on my phone and vote that way. Why is it good enough for me to be able to purchase items from say Amazon and not get my order screwed up or have someone else buy stuff in my name? Why can Amazon do that and the US government not? And yes I know there probably are cases out there where identity theft occurs. Hell I can even access my financial information on line and I care WAY more about that then any politician.

And as matter of record, I have never voted in my life and I'm now over 50. I have one very good and sound reason for that: There has never been an election/ballot/etc. where if I had voted, it would have made any difference in the outcome. NOT ONE! It wouldn't have mattered if I voted R or D or I or G. Never has an election come down to 1 vote in my district, state or even city. There has been "close" elections, but even in those elections whoever thinks they are ahead at a specific point in time will go to court and attempt to stop the count. Thereby invalidating my vote if my vote was not counted by that time.

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Want to increase voter turnout? Let me download an app on my phone and vote that way. Why is it good enough for me to be able to purchase items from say Amazon and not get my order screwed up or have someone else buy stuff in my name? Why can Amazon do that and the US government not? And yes I know there probably are cases out there where identity theft occurs. Hell I can even access my financial information on line and I care WAY more about that then any politician.

And as matter of record, I have never voted in my life and I'm now over 50. I have one very good and sound reason for that: There has never been an election/ballot/etc. where if I had voted, it would have made any difference in the outcome. NOT ONE! It wouldn't have mattered if I voted R or D or I or G. Never has an election come down to 1 vote in my district, state or even city. There has been "close" elections, but even in those elections whoever thinks they are ahead at a specific point in time will go to court and attempt to stop the count. Thereby invalidating my vote if my vote was not counted by that time.

Fine!

Don't vote.

But by not voting, you also lose the privilege of complaining about whichever politician gets elected.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

The problem with that thinking is that there may be 5, 10 or 20 thousand other people who think exactly the same and who didn't vote. Those votes might make a difference or, if those votes went to a candidate not from one of the two main parties, would be a red flag to say that they're not doing something right.

• Like 2