NeoX

Which skydiving stunts do you consider to be more dangerous than playing Russian Roulette?

I've heard of jumpers get banned (membership cancelled) by the USPA for certain stunts, though. So, surely, approval should be sought from USPA/BPA in some cases to prevent risk of being banned?

The USPA can't directly waive the FARs.
Exiting an aircraft in a non-emergency without a dual parachute rig attached to your body is a violation of the FARs.
I suspect you're referring to Travis Pastrana, and yes he was banned from USPA dropzones for a year. That doesn't mean he didn't jump during that time period.
USPA/BPA cannot stop you from skydiving.
I'd suggest you read a bit more from your skydiving manuals; it's all in there.

grimmie

So, it doesn't explicitly state dropping cars out of a plane is allowed, nor does it prohibit it. It talks about "parachute operations" defining that as the performance of all activity for the purpose of, or in support of, a parachute jump or a parachute drop. This parachute operation can involve, but is not limited to, the following persons: parachutist, parachutist in command and passenger in tandem parachute operations, drop zone or owner or operator, jump master, certificated parachute rigger, or pilot.

If it's "not limited to" the given list, does that mean it can involve additional persons, or additional objects (persons and non-persons such as vehicles)? It seems a bit open to say "not limited to" - surely there must be some control on this, say, by some sort of USPA approval process, or is it down to DZO discretion? And if the DZO drops the ball and authorise something silly, the USPA will then come down on them after the fact (such as in Travis Pastrana's case)?

JohnMitchell

***Enough with the trolling. Your one warning.

Aw Bill, it was fun poking at him with a stick. . . ;):D

We all know he's pretty harmless. :)Think I'm the one with the stick judging from the reactiveness of other users.;)
DSE

I've heard of jumpers get banned (membership cancelled) by the USPA for certain stunts, though. So, surely, approval should be sought from USPA/BPA in some cases to prevent risk of being banned?

Exiting an aircraft in a non-emergency without a dual parachute rig attached to your body is a violation of the FARs.
I suspect you're referring to Travis Pastrana, and yes he was banned from USPA dropzones for a year. That doesn't mean he didn't jump during that time period.

I'm aware Travis could continue jumping at non-USPA DZs (as they're out of their jurisdiction). That's just plain obvious.
He's doing his Superman thing.

I think a more instructive method of determining what is really cool and what is just the mundane would be to read thru the incidents forum and commit all the stupid shit that has killed our friends.

Some of them have died while trying to get cool video. These were people with THOUSANDS of jumps.:(

For your 100th... do something fun... like getting a naked 4 way together or something along those lines. Leave the stunts to the guys who spend copious amounts of time brainstorming with others who want to do something but they do it right with a LOT of thought and practice with trying to figure out as man what if's as they possibly can..

But if you are going to do some really stupid shit for gods sake get good HD Video from as many angles as possible so other nubes can see what NOT to do when the pull the loaded chamber.

At the BPA AGM in Nottingham this year, there was a very good seminar delivered by Chris Ivory about the planning and rehearsal that went into this stunt, which was seen by millions of people worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5abat5NEU

I know the individual seminars were videoed for live streaming and on demand viewing afterwards but can't seem to find that footage atm.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

NeoX

***Actually he didn't. That was his only rig. Care to take another guess?

Lee

This is still nuts though because he unhooks himself after deploying so he can hang by his feet. That's crazy enough just on its own!

No, that's not what happens, either. You've been duped by editing. Did you actually *see* the transition from hand to feet? Or did the video have a cut right at that moment? It was not done in one take, and that can be determined by anybody who watches the video, whether they're skydivers or not. Do you know how?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

NeoX

So, it doesn't explicitly state dropping cars out of a plane is allowed, nor does it prohibit it. It talks about "parachute operations" defining that as the performance of all activity for the purpose of, or in support of, a parachute jump or a parachute drop. This parachute operation can involve, but is not limited to, the following persons: parachutist, parachutist in command and passenger in tandem parachute operations, drop zone or owner or operator, jump master, certificated parachute rigger, or pilot.

If it's "not limited to" the given list, does that mean it can involve additional persons, or additional objects (persons and non-persons such as vehicles)? It seems a bit open to say "not limited to" - surely there must be some control on this, say, by some sort of USPA approval process, or is it down to DZO discretion? And if the DZO drops the ball and authorise something silly, the USPA will then come down on them after the fact (such as in Travis Pastrana's case)?

JohnMitchell

***Enough with the trolling. Your one warning.

Aw Bill, it was fun poking at him with a stick. . . ;):D

We all know he's pretty harmless. :)Think I'm the one with the stick judging from the reactiveness of other users.;)
DSE

I'm aware Travis could continue jumping at non-USPA DZs (as they're out of their jurisdiction). That's just plain obvious.

If you know all this, then why ask the questions? Are you truly this starved for attention?
The USPA has no "jurisdiction." They are an organization of guidelines, to which dropzones adhere. Whether they let non-USPA members jump there or not is at their discretion. Do they accept FAI? BPA? APF?
The USPA doesn't say that DZ's have to (or not have to) sell a jump ticket to a giraffe. Nor do they specify whether the giraffe has to be inside or outside the aircraft. They also don't address whether one can or cannot answer their cell phone in freefall. Nor do they say one must wear clean underwear.
There are many things the USPA doesn't address. The one thing they constantly address is the FARs. If it's not found in the FARs, it's entirely permissible until someone does something stupid and the FARs end up being changed as a result.
Pastrana wasn't just in trouble with the USPA. You understand this, yes?

You'll want to look at Part 91 which has a section that deals with dropping objects (other than Part 105 meat bombs) from aircraft.

Even though the US Govt is generally as dumb as a bag of assholes they've managed to figure out that we can drop shit - and jump with it - from planes without a problem.

You'll likely find the same set of circumstances anywhere in the developed world where there is a half-competent aviation authority.

For a game of russian roulette, you'd need a 13% probability that you were going to die on any given stunt. I don't recall if proximity wingsuit flying has crossed into single-digit percentages for fatalities, but it's still a lot more dangerous than I'd ever want to attempt.

You left out the guys jumping without a rig and retrieving their rig in mid-air. Presumably because FAA regs won't allow it in the USA. Stupid FAA. Always holding us back. I mean, I would never attempt that either!

There are a couple of videos where the guy gets back in the plane, either from freefall or with a wingsuit. That stunt interests me, because I'm lazy and hate to pack. It is kind of a long way to go to avoid a pack job, though.

Guy here did his 100th, held a $100 bill in his teeth and told the group he was jumping with that if anyone got the bill before they hit the ground, they could have it. He got to keep his $100 bill. Given that the $100 bill has probably been in a stripper's butt and/or used to snort cocaine (or used to snort cocaine off a stripper's butt) that was probably crazier than anything else that happened on that jump.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

alec86

NeoX you should do more jumping and less posting ;)

You mean 'work' not 'jumping' during office hours, surely?
grimmie

Thanks for that - that explains the object dropping perfectly. I thought some things had to be approved, but I guess it's largely down to interpretation and discretion. And if anything goes wrong, then investigation and any sanctions will take place after the fact.
JeffCa

******Actually he didn't. That was his only rig. Care to take another guess?

Lee

This is still nuts though because he unhooks himself after deploying so he can hang by his feet. That's crazy enough just on its own!

No, that's not what happens, either. You've been duped by editing. Did you actually *see* the transition from hand to feet? Or did the video have a cut right at that moment? It was not done in one take, and that can be determined by anybody who watches the video, whether they're skydivers or not. Do you know how?
This is the vid I watched. I can see the slider is a different colour in different parts, and the canopy colour looks different (but not sure if that's the filter effects or saturation used in different parts of the video). But the one thing that stands out is that his hair is slightly longer in some parts.

However, I wasn't "duped". My information about him unhooking was from Remster on the forum here.

DSE

***I'm aware Travis could continue jumping at non-USPA DZs (as they're out of their jurisdiction). That's just plain obvious.

If you know all this, then why ask the questions? Are you truly this starved for attention?
The USPA has no "jurisdiction." They are an organization of guidelines, to which dropzones adhere. Whether they let non-USPA members jump there or not is at their discretion. Do they accept FAI? BPA? APF?
The USPA doesn't say that DZ's have to (or not have to) sell a jump ticket to a giraffe. Nor do they specify whether the giraffe has to be inside or outside the aircraft. They also don't address whether one can or cannot answer their cell phone in freefall. Nor do they say one must wear clean underwear.
There are many things the USPA doesn't address. The one thing they constantly address is the FARs. If it's not found in the FARs, it's entirely permissible until someone does something stupid and the FARs end up being changed as a result.
Pastrana wasn't just in trouble with the USPA. You understand this, yes?
I guess it's because I don't know all the answers that I'm asking questions. Crazy concept eh!? I also understand Travis was FAA blacklisted.

So, I'm realising now that USPA (and assumedly BPA) is just guidelines and not something that MUST be complied with as long as FAA (and the UK's CAA) regulations are complied with. I was under the impression that the BPA had much more authority as UK DZs don't allow you to jump unless you're a member. Didn't realise that this was the DZ's discretion. I thought it was a legal requirement. So, thanks for filling me in.

rifleman

At the BPA AGM in Nottingham this year, there was a very good seminar delivered by Chris Ivory about the planning and rehearsal that went into this stunt, which was seen by millions of people worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW5abat5NEU

I know the individual seminars were videoed for live streaming and on demand viewing afterwards but can't seem to find that footage atm.

Ha! I've never seen this before (even though I live next to the Olympic Stadium). But that's what makes me proud to be a Brit. We brought the world James Bond and the Queen.

Quite clearly, sex during freefall is by far the most hazardous. You could end up with 18 years of a much emptier bank account. B|

Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

kuai43

Quite clearly, sex during freefall is by far the most hazardous. You could end up with 18 years of a much emptier bank account. B|

The freefall would have to last veeeeeery long for that to happen to me. I aim to please ;)

champu

By the way, how did it occur to you that Russian roulette is dangerous? Is there a regulatory entity you turned to for their opinion on the matter?

Putin told me. We're besties.

DSE

The USPA has no "jurisdiction." They are an organization of guidelines, to which dropzones adhere. Whether they let non-USPA members jump there or not is at their discretion.

There are many things the USPA doesn't address

. The one thing they constantly address is the FARs.

Good reply. People often confuse BSR's, etc. with FAR's.

Violating one will get you kicked out of the USPA.
Violating the other may get you fines and/or jail time. ;)

JohnMitchell

Good reply. People often confuse BSR's, etc. with FAR's.

Violating one will may get you kicked out of the USPA if anyone bothers to care. And only if you're not on the board. Or if you don't have the right friends.
Violating the other may get you fines and/or jail time or nothing depending on how good your lawyer is. ;)

FIFY. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke