scottf1887

Long term rig rentals?

Does anyone know if anyone does long term rig rentals? I dont have my own yet and I'm going on a vacation and looking for a rig I can stick with for a month rather than renting something new at every DZ. Plus I'm shooting for over 100 jumps which would get expensive after a while. Thanks!

I've thought about it but I dont really have the extra cash. I'm buying a rig in a couple months but really wanted to use the cash I do have to go towards jumps and not an old rig. I know I'll get the money back later, but dont really have the excess to do it.

I agree, 95% of your money will come back to you (maybe even more). It's like buying a house vs renting. Renting, you flush the money down the toilet, buying, you have an asset that you can sell when you need the cash.

Put it on a credit card. You have 21 days without interest, and then you're only paying a few dollars a month whne you hold the balance. That gives you essentially 2 months for a "rental fee" of about $20.

On the other hand, if you're on good terms with a DZ, it wouldn't hurt to ask them to borrow/rent some student gear or something.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

katzas

The Skydive Store at Crosskeys DZ rents complete rigs by the month. Give them a call or send an email. You can get their contact info from the Skydive Crosskeys website.

Just out of idol curiosity, what would a monthly rental cost?

jclalor

***The Skydive Store at Crosskeys DZ rents complete rigs by the month. Give them a call or send an email. You can get their contact info from the Skydive Crosskeys website.

I don't work for the Skydive Store so I don't know what it costs. You asked who rents long term--I answered. Suggest you contact them and ask.

katzas

The Skydive Store at Crosskeys DZ rents complete rigs by the month. Give them a call or send an email. You can get their contact info from the Skydive Crosskeys website.

As does Sunshine Factory at ZHills. Many of them do -- just contact the one closest to you and ask for availability and rates.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

katzas

******The Skydive Store at Crosskeys DZ rents complete rigs by the month. Give them a call or send an email. You can get their contact info from the Skydive Crosskeys website.

I don't work for the Skydive Store so I don't know what it costs. You asked who rents long term--I answered. Suggest you contact them and ask.

Actually someone else asked.:P

Don't count on just the classifieds here, ebay or other used gear online. Your profile is empty but become a friend with you dzo, instructors, riggers and other jumpers, not just a student. I, for instance , have lots of used newbie airworthy gear that I might be willing to sell, rent, loan with deposit etc.to a FRIEND but would never bother advertising. In years passed rigs would start out new but when the original owner upgraded they would get passed from newbie to newbie from year to year. Until they got old, out dated or worn enough to be retired to rigger training. I have one that has had 6 owners, 23 years, 2000 plus jumps that I serviced for much of its life. Common is an older javelin, vector, or northern lite with a reserve and older zp main for $1500. Make a hundred and resell. Buy the new aad that you will need/want anyway and move to you new rig when you get one.

For example. I know where there is a brand new old stock reflex never assembled. Actually I know where there are two. $500 or so. Raven, tempo,, glidepath, swift.plus reserves and triathlons or sabre mains. The stuff is around but its not out looking for you, you have to ask people not websites.

Of course I'm a pack rat. I'd actually forgot.about my new reflex for the last year or so.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Between the classifieds here and this group on FB you should be able to find a good deal if you decide to buy a used rig.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkydivingGear/

Also keep an eye on jumpers at your DZ in the 100 - 300 jump range. They tend to buy rigs that instead of jumping it for all it's worth they get in a hurry to downsize and they need the cash from selling to go towards a newer rig. I know someone who downsized 6 times before hitting 500 jumps.

And let every skydiver you're in contact with on a regular basis know you're looking. You never know what you might run across. The rig I have now I actually found when I wasn't looking. Another jumper knew I wasn't happy with what I had and wanted something similar to their rig. One day out of the blue they called me and said hey I'm getting a complete new rig. I'm about to put my old one up on dropzone but thought you might want first dibs on it.