2 2
JoeWeber

Tyre Nichols

7 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

It also does not include the fact that most of them pad their overtime in their last year of work to get a VERY much larger retirement.

It is what it is.

Jerry Baumchen

Not in California. Maybe you should not be so general as to "it is what it is." Perhaps list which entities/retirement systems include overtime in their retirement calculations. How did you come across the "most of them pad their overtime" accusation? As I know, anyone who "padded overtime" has committed a theft. How do you know???

(edited)
1 hour ago, nbpd610 said:

Not in California. Maybe you should not be so general as to "it is what it is." Perhaps list which entities/retirement systems include overtime in their retirement calculations. How did you come across the "most of them pad their overtime" accusation? As I know, anyone who "padded overtime" has committed a theft. How do you know???

Hi 610,

My bad.  I should have said, 'Here in Oregon . . . '

My apologies.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  By 'padded overtime' I meant worked as much overtime as they could to increase the total income of their last year of work.  The PERS system here in Oregon uses the income of their last yr of work to calculate their retirement payments.

PPS)  Re:  Not in California.

Could you provide some details on how it works there?

Edited by JerryBaumchen

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi 610,

My bad.  I should have said, 'Here in Oregon . . . '

My apologies.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  By 'padded overtime' I meant worked as much overtime as they could to increase the total income of their last year of work.  The PERS system here in Oregon uses the income of their last yr of work to calculate their retirement payments.

PPS)  Re:  Not in California.

Could you provide some details on how it works there?

Here is CALPERS Rule:

Final Compensation

The last part of your pension calculation is final compensation.

Compensation is defined as payment to employees for service performed during normal work hours or time used for vacation, compensatory time off or sick leave.

The final compensation calculation is based on your highest average full-time monthly pay rate over the highest 12 or 36 consecutive month period depending on your employer’s contract. There are also certain types of special compensation that may be included. Overtime cannot be used for final compensation. If you work part-time, we still use a full-time equivalent pay rate to determine your final compensation, but you’re still earning less service credit.

(edited)
7 hours ago, nbpd610 said:

Let me guess, you're a cop. Do I get a cookie? For credibility don't be anonymous.

Edited by JoeWeber

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Let me guess, you're a cop. Do I get a cookie? For credibility don't be anonymous.

I don't care how someone who is just a DZ owner from OR assesses my credibility. I responded to Jerry Baumchen's information with accurate information. Go troll someone else.

(edited)
3 hours ago, nbpd610 said:

I don't care how someone who is just a DZ owner from OR assesses my credibility. I responded to Jerry Baumchen's information with accurate information. Go troll someone else.

As a practical matter, I always discount the credibility of anyone who hides behind a facade. Believe as you like but I consider that assessment a fair starting point. So, if you are afraid to state out loud who you are that's a chip on your shoulder, officer.

A quick look at Oregon PERS rules didn't exclude overtime pay. Sure I could have missed that but in any case I don't care, it's not my argument. In my opinion, if need be, we should increase police pay until the right people start applying. But we should also increase training and accountability a lot. No way should a rookie have a gun in less than half a year of slap dash training. In fact they shouldn't even be through 20% of academy training at that stage. Gun certification shouldn't even start until year two. Also, every effort should be made to make the forces not look like paramilitary organizations. The crooks aren't impressed, obviously, and the citizenry are too often afraid of those who claim to serve and protect.  As I stated: defanged not defunded.

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Also, every effort should be made to make the forces not look like paramilitary organizations. The crooks aren't impressed, obviously, and the citizenry are too often afraid of those who claim to serve and protect.  As I stated: defanged not defunded.

This. Note that "defanged" doesn't mean police shouldn't be able to protect themselves; it just means that they should behave like most American snakes -- attack only if there is no other option, rather than like a bully, who expects and extorts compliance first, second, and third.

Not all police are like that, but too many are.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 7:27 AM, JoeWeber said:

Except that we'll be pay their insurance premiums as well as the civil settlement.

Hi Joe,

Or, we will just let the bad apples continue to serve:  Portland police officer fired for leaking false allegations is reinstated - OPB

THIS is a perfect example of why I oppose a union for gov't employees.

Jerry Baumchen