SFBayArea

Did you do night jump? If so, any advise?

SFBayArea

Local drop zone - Skydance at Davis run night jumps once a month. I really want to do one. The person I was emailing about the jump gave me very little information on what I need to bring with me.
Hence, question to those of you who made the night jump. What should I get prepared for the night jump? Glowing sticks? Any flashlight that you found convenient to attach to your body?

The upcoming boogie at Davis would be a great time to make your first night jump, you could watch on Friday and Jump on Saturday.

jclalor

***Local drop zone - Skydance at Davis run night jumps once a month. I really want to do one. The person I was emailing about the jump gave me very little information on what I need to bring with me.
Hence, question to those of you who made the night jump. What should I get prepared for the night jump? Glowing sticks? Any flashlight that you found convenient to attach to your body?

The upcoming boogie at Davis would be a great time to make your first night jump, you could watch on Friday and Jump on Saturday.

Except that (unless they're changing things this year) night jumps are only done on Friday night during the boogie.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

******Local drop zone - Skydance at Davis run night jumps once a month. I really want to do one. The person I was emailing about the jump gave me very little information on what I need to bring with me.

Except that (unless they're changing things this year) night jumps are only done on Friday night during the boogie.

Your absolutely right. But it would still be a great place to make your first night jump.

gowlerk

Nude night jump. I did one on a solo pass at 3000' while everyone else went up. No lights at all. Stealth approach and landing in front of the spectators who had no idea I was coming. Drop the gear and trot off to my trailer.

I've never met anyone else with a nude night jump. Anyone here?

Not me but I had a friend that rarely comes on here though I think lurks that did a naked night jump on New Years(99-00) at midnight from 10k in North Central Wisconsin. Ground temp was barely out of single digits I believe. He used to do sunset naked all the time before that but he ceased after that particular jump. Something happened on that jump but he never really gave particulars.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

a meticulous pack job and make sure all your gear is tight......an old military expression for checked and re-checked and checked again.
As a number of people have mentioned protect your and everyone else's night vision. Don't be the asshole in the aircraft that has a bright lite go off by accident. I've seen jumpers almost come to blows over this.....especially when doing night big ways.
I can't comment on helmet lights since I didn't wear one (helmet), however I did wear a small mag light around my neck on a lanyard under jumpsuit to check canopy.
Consider the source er my two cents worth. I'm NOT current, but I do have a few night jumps, and was in a night formation world record years ago. I love night dives.
Have fun and "welcome to the dark side" :)

gowlerk

Nude night jump. I did one on a solo pass at 3000' while everyone else went up. No lights at all. Stealth approach and landing in front of the spectators who had no idea I was coming. Drop the gear and trot off to my trailer.

You need to join SANS. You get a sticker, number, all that fun stuff. The gentleman that runs it has done a nude jump every month at least for the lase 13 years I believe. Even in the artic winters we have up here!

https://m.facebook.com/pages/The-Society-for-the-Advancement-of-Naked-Skydiving/170448172978094?_rdr

http://www.thesans.org
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Did that in the 1970's, when I was of an age to do nude jumps :)
I used to love night jumps; there's an intensity and excitement about them

Wendy P.
NSCSA 26

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

GLIDEANGLE

The typical novice mistake is to wear WAY too much light that is visible to the jumper himself. PROTECT YOUR NIGHT VISION. Wear your light in places you cannot see.

I agree and along these lines I found a head torch to be a bad idea on one night jump. On opening my slider reflected the torchlight and resulted in pretty much blinding me.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

craddock

***Nude night jump. I did one on a solo pass at 3000' while everyone else went up. No lights at all. Stealth approach and landing in front of the spectators who had no idea I was coming. Drop the gear and trot off to my trailer.

Not me but I had a friend that rarely comes on here though I think lurks that did a naked night jump on New Years(99-00) at midnight from 10k in North Central Wisconsin. Ground temp was barely out of single digits I believe. He used to do sunset naked all the time before that but he ceased after that particular jump. Something happened on that jump but he never really gave particulars.

Yup, that's me. As cradock says, I mostly lurk the skydive specific forums...meaning I stay the hell out of speaker's corner. The jump alluded to above was one of my most memorable. My friend Todd was doing jump #2000 on NYE leading into the year 2000. I decided to up the ante and jump naked, even though it was single digit temps on the ground and well into the negatives at jump altitude.

When I first climbed out and let go of the airplane, it was so cold I thought I was going to die. But then the adrenaline kicked in and it wasn't too bad. We did a 3-way (my 2 friends were fully clothed) and turned a few donuts, then enjoyed the view of the lights below and the multiple fireworks shows on the shores of Lake Wissota.

That New Year's Eve jump was crazy and kinda stupid, but nothing untoward or particularly unusual happened as craddack hinted at. However, the next year I did a naked tandem with my GF in November (yup, she was fully clothed) and I got pneumonia and was sick for 3 weeks. That was the end of my naked night winter jumping career.

...........................................................................................................................................................

You always seemed pretty reserved about discussing it so I guess I just assumed you at least got a little frost bite. Made for a better story as well when I thought it to be true. btw, I have several times told that story to whuffos involving you along with a particular pool game that is Legendary.

I have never done a naked jump but one of night swoops ranks at one of my favorites(and all time stupidest.). If a friend would not have got killed a few weeks later with a bright idea he got from watching that jump it would take the top spot for sure.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.