SFBayArea

Did you do night jump? If so, any advise?

Local drop zone - Skydance at Davis run night jumps once a month. I really want to do one. The person I was emailing about the jump gave me very little information on what I need to bring with me.
Hence, question to those of you who made the night jump. What should I get prepared for the night jump? Glowing sticks? Any flashlight that you found convenient to attach to your body?

You can usually buy everything you need at the gear store, but you might find better prices elsewhere.

If you've not ever jumped at Skydance, one important thing to do would be to make a few daytime jumps there prior to the night jump.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You only must be aware of other canopies, prearranged landing pattern, visible landing zone and have to be familiar with non-visible outs just in case.

Peace of cake.
And if you don't repeat the jump - nothing will stick to remember of.

I am very experienced :P

What goes around, comes later.

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section6/tabid/169/Default.aspx#979

clickified B|

one thing to think about is where/how you are going to attach your strobe and chem lights. Some use packing tape, though you should think about your particular helmet/jump suit and try a few things out.

You don't want to be on your way to the plane wrapping tape around your ankle only to have your poorly secured strobe fly off two seconds out the door--both because of the safety problem of not having a strobe under canopy, and because those strobes aren't free.

A little prep time at home with no rush and time to try a few things out is good. Time with an experienced jumper who can show you is even better.

Maybe come to the next night jump and just observe and ask questions, sort out your gear, and then come the next month to actually jump since you have that luxury.

These are quite popular as a substitute for disposable chem-lights http://www.rei.com/product/840952/life-gear-glow-stick-with-whistle.

I also use tiny LED bicycle lights and gaffers-tape them to my helmet to illuminate my canopy after deployment. Additionally I use a stick-type strobe clipped to my hip ring to meet FAA requirements. Sky-ties are a great place to attach rear-facing lights as well.

Each DZ has their own method for conducting night jumps (and all think their way is the best I might add) so make sure you pay attention during any briefings so everyone is on the same sheet of music.

Personally, I love night jumps and have done quite a few now... once everyone is done bouncing off the walls of the plane trying to look out windows to find the DZ they are quite peaceful. B|

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

SFBayArea

Local drop zone - Skydance at Davis run night jumps once a month. I really want to do one. The person I was emailing about the jump gave me very little information on what I need to bring with me.
Hence, question to those of you who made the night jump. What should I get prepared for the night jump? Glowing sticks? Any flashlight that you found convenient to attach to your body?

I would suggest you watch some others night jump first.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

If you see a man dressed all in black trying to kill you on final...don't panic as it is just your shadow. Usually. Lol.

Follow the recs and make your first one a hop and pop; hopefully Davis requires it.

Personal opinion: don't waste your first night jump humming it down. I've seen a lot of folks try to get that first one over as quickly as possible. Take a few seconds to watch the lit plane fly away and then dump. There is nothing like flying your wing alone in the darkness. Enjoy the view.

A lot of people hate them for legit reasons such as landings and anxiety with canopy traffic etc. become one of the crazy people that think they're the best skydives. :)

hillson

Personal opinion: don't waste your first night jump humming it down. I've seen a lot of folks try to get that first one over as quickly as possible. Take a few seconds to watch the lit plane fly away and then dump. There is nothing like flying your wing alone in the darkness. Enjoy the view.

We have a city backdrop in one direction and I thought it was cool that the only way I could see another canopy over there was to see the city lights being blocked out by a black canopy shape.

If you fly a full face helmet, open the visor after you do your canopy control check to take it all in.

hillson

A lot of people hate them for legit reasons such as landings and anxiety with canopy traffic etc.

Our DZ does them so that no canopy traffic is around. They drop only a few individuals/pairs/groups per pass, so plenty of horizontal separation, with staggered pull times. The highest-loaded canopy pulls lowest, the lightest-loaded canopy pulls highest. This way you won't have canopy traffic unless somebody screws up their pull time.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Our DZ does them so that no canopy traffic is around. They drop only a few individuals/pairs/groups per pass, so plenty of horizontal separation, with staggered pull times. The highest-loaded canopy pulls lowest, the lightest-loaded canopy pulls highest. This way you won't have canopy traffic unless somebody screws up their pull time.

That's a little optimistic. A long snivel on deployment or a malfunction can easily put two canopies very close on a night jump.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

JeffCa

I was thinking more of along the lines of intra-group separation...even if everything is planned well (pull altitudes, you stay on this side of the runway, I'll stay on that side of the runway etc) it can get a little sporty.

Start throwing out some larger formation groups and it can get interesting. Not bad and quite manageable...but it keeps you on your toes.

Make sure that everyone's group order and pull altitudes are taken into consideration before getting on the plane. I've seen some pretty scary stuff on night jumps where this didn't happen. Some people may do a tracking jump, pull high, then fly back to the DZ across the flight line… Or groups of trackers… Some may decide they want to change their pull altitude from 3k to 5k because its at night… which is fine, but that needs to be known before jump run… Communication and planning is key.

cross country until the pilot says no further and they force you out. h&p and have fun. Then because no one will be looking you can make it best swoop ever, in the
tightest place ever. You should be talking about it years
later. You asked for ideas. Sarcasm and not for your first one obviously.

Sorry the word night jump gets me going and that is what I think about
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

guineapiggie101

wish there were places where you could do night tandems :) . Now that would be WAYYY cool!!!

Not so much, unless both parties were experienced jumpers (and one a TI), but even then, you have a higher chance of getting broken on landing.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Nude night jump. I did one on a solo pass at 3000' while everyone else went up. No lights at all. Stealth approach and landing in front of the spectators who had no idea I was coming. Drop the gear and trot off to my trailer.

I've never met anyone else with a nude night jump. Anyone here?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.