JBR

Leg strap bungee warning

On a very recent jump I was moving down the seats of a twin otter and unbeknown to me managed to snag the bungee that keeps my leg straps together, said bungee extended itself considerably until it then decided to "release it's energy". My left nut took this reasonably well or so I thought but by then I had to leave said twin otter and had what I can only describe as the most uncomfortable freefall of my short but distinguished career.

Be careful out there.

yoink

Sounds bad.

But... could be worse.

I had a ball-under malfunction on my 11th. Sitting on one of your nuts for 5 minutes post-opening does not help landing concentration.

A good friend had a ball-under with a Sabre 1. We actually heard him scream from the ground, he thought he ruptured it but fortunately didn't.
cavete terrae.

I've never heard of these things before or knew they were possible. You guys are scaring me.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Well, you must have nuts for this to happen, or at least 1.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

grue

***Sounds bad.

But... could be worse.

I had a ball-under malfunction on my 11th. Sitting on one of your nuts for 5 minutes post-opening does not help landing concentration.

A good friend had a ball-under with a Sabre 1. We actually heard him scream from the ground, he thought he ruptured it but fortunately didn't.

Jock strap
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I had a similar situation happen to me....

I have a wings container, they have a flap that goes over the reserve risers and a LABEL that states to place main risers on top of this flap. One of the few times i let a packer pack for me, he put the main risers under said flap.

Upon opening, everything is all good. Then about 8-10 seconds later, I drop about 6 inches cause the flap had held the main risers and then suddenly released.

Just about shat myself!!!

Good buddy of mine at the DZ had a nut under malfunction. Took a few minutes for him to find it on landing. He took the rest of the day off and always tightens his leg straps a bit more now. That and brings the boys to the front.
Belt and Suspenders

I'm now wondering if it's worth suggesting adding a picture of a "nut under malfunction" to the collection of Mal pics on the wall in the training area at my DZ? Is there a similar Mal for the lady skydiver, maybe chest strap related issues? I would check the ladies area of the forum but it scares me in there!

Are you sure it didn't snag on a jumper's finger?

If you put your ass too close to my face on jump run for too long, I tend to snap bungies just to let you know I'm there.

I hadn't considered holding on to it as someone charged out the door, though. :)

I think every dude experiences this malfunction at least once in their career, usually early on. Once you've had your first nut under, you learn to keep you leg straps tight and your diddle in the middle.

It is interesting to note that some call it a nut under, and others a ball under. Maybe it's an East Coast / West Coast thing?

I've got a friend who had line twists...the cords twisted up and one of his balls got as big as a grapefruit. By the time he went to the doctor it was too late and now he's a uni-ball.

primetime

I think every dude experiences this malfunction at least once in their career, usually early on.

By the time he went to the doctor it was too late and now he's a uni-ball.

:o:o:o:o:o

This wasn't in the brochure.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

On my 2nd AFF jump my instructor asked me if my furniture was in the middle of the room before he tightened down my leg straps. While I hadn't thought of that before hand, I haven't forgot to ask myself that question before every jump since...
This shit, right here, is OK

burtonjm

On my 2nd AFF jump my instructor asked me if my furniture was in the middle of the room before he tightened down my leg straps. While I hadn't thought of that before hand, I haven't forgot to ask myself that question before every jump since...

I've been paranoid about it this weekend! I did my leg straps up as tight as I could without risking cutting off circulation.