JoeWeber

Time to reinvent SC

What is making this forum uninteresting is the lack of personality in the posts of too many here. Too many follow the format of: I R 1 Y R U 1? Too many have no other thing to say other than what someone else said is in error or to pick out a pointless point as an example. We have experts in dissection, we have Huffington Post caliber news aggregators, we have quick Googlers, we have world class pedants, etc. but we are short of people who are more interested in exposing themselves than their correspondents; we are short of people who put themselves inside their posts. To put it plainly, too many who post here are dry, humorless, and give next to no insight into themselves outside of the impression that being repetitive or petty is a key conversational virtue. Of course, that is the definition of boring. Hence our current attrition rate. What to do? Well, I have my ideas but it's not my site and, as any fool can say, I am not Mod material. So maybe we can all take a look at ourselves before our next post and ask if how we are making our point is helping or hurting in the long term.

The first casualty of politics is the truth. Without the acknowledgement of facts consensus is difficult or impossible to reach. In some countries tribalism has embedded lies and false ideologies in what they believe.

Social economic political policy and the discussion thereof. Is inherently dry IMO. Beyond that the personality of regular posters does come out. John for example strikes me as someone impatient with ignorant time wasters. Who he labels as trolls.

Joe frequently interjects a comedic irreverence into the discussion.

Comedy intermixed with lies can be used to pander to a base. AKA populism. Hence it is what it is.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

"Time to reinvent the SC"

I don't see anything wrong with South Carolina.

Hi falls,

Well, I see some problems with the Supreme Court.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Which I thought Joe was referring to when I first read the title of the thread.

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 10:44 PM, JoeWeber said:

What is making this forum uninteresting is the lack of personality in the posts of too many here. Too many follow the format of: I R 1 Y R U 1? Too many have no other thing to say other than what someone else said is in error or to pick out a pointless point as an example. We have experts in dissection, we have Huffington Post caliber news aggregators, we have quick Googlers, we have world class pedants, etc. but we are short of people who are more interested in exposing themselves than their correspondents; we are short of people who put themselves inside their posts. To put it plainly, too many who post here are dry, humorless, and give next to no insight into themselves outside of the impression that being repetitive or petty is a key conversational virtue. Of course, that is the definition of boring. Hence our current attrition rate. What to do? Well, I have my ideas but it's not my site and, as any fool can say, I am not Mod material. So maybe we can all take a look at ourselves before our next post and ask if how we are making our point is helping or hurting in the long term.

People do not learn anything if they don't ask questions. Posters here do that very rarely. And, in general, they hate articulation.

4 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

People do not learn anything if they don't ask questions. Posters here do that very rarely. And, in general, they hate articulation.

While I can not imagine where we are in agreement on probably every other matter, I do respect that your self is inside of what you post and that what you post is what you believe. On that note, is there anyway we can buy up all copies of your soon to be published self help book so as to actually save the world from further chaos?

• Like 1

(edited)
On 1/23/2023 at 6:16 PM, JoeWeber said:

While I can not imagine where we are in agreement on probably every other matter, I do respect that your self is inside of what you post and that what you post is what you believe. On that note, is there anyway we can buy up all copies of your soon to be published self help book so as to actually save the world from further chaos?

It is not that kind of book. It will be, if I actually write it, directed as a help text for Christian counselors, pastors, preachers, and ministers.

Edited by RonD1120

On 1/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, Line Stretch said:

I'm almost perfectly happy with the way SC is.  Moved here ten years ago to escape the north east.  The only potential problem I see is it is getting entirely too populated with liberals.  And they tend to want to change it so it is just like where they ran away from.