chriscchristoph

How many jumps did you have on your first 20+ way?

I remember my 200th jump was a 16 way, so I'm guessing it was somewhere in the 200-300 jump range.

Funny thing is that the more I jump, the more picky I am about bigger jumps. :D And 900, 1000, 1200, and 1300 were all 4-ways, and 1100 was an 8-way. My milestones are happily shrinking too.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm pretty sure I was right around a hundred when I attempted my first 20 way. It was at the '84 Herd Boogie but I was jumping with the same people from my home DZ that couldn't get an 8-way together so why not go for bigger funnels out of bigger planes. I was usually out in the middle somewhere and occasionally I actually touched someone before break off. Sure had a lot of fun though!

Took me one year. Jumped at only a small Cessna DZ so 8 ways were the biggest. I started right before Quincy so I had to wait a full year till the next one. Lots of beer owed that week. Firsts galore. Got on the multi plane shots in the evenings(50ish?) The Velocity was debuted and I was one of the first in line. First 20ish way on first Velocity jump?

Yep. Safe place
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Go, watch, enjoy. But the sign that you're ready for a 20-way is when people don't tell you to just pull in place and leave the tracking to them, or to just fall and they'll catch you. You're ready when you can fly your position, and the separation phase.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jimjumper

I'm pretty sure I was right around a hundred when I attempted my first 20 way. It was at the '84 Herd Boogie but I was jumping with the same people from my home DZ that couldn't get an 8-way together so why not go for bigger funnels out of bigger planes. I was usually out in the middle somewhere and occasionally I actually touched someone before break off. Sure had a lot of fun though!

That's what I'm talkin bout:ph34r::ph34r:

chriscchristoph

Theres a 20 way competition at Skydive Spaceland this weekend and im stoked to go down there and watch these guys. Made me wonder how many jumps the average skydiver had on their first 20 way.

I have 95 jumps and my biggest way is a 10 way.

No one here is "average". Didn't you know that?
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Back when I had about 300 jumps, I was invited on a Canadian Record Attempt that built to 23 before break-off time. I do not remember exactly how many people planned to dock after me, but we had a Twin Otter and a Beech 18, so it must have been around 35 people.
My most vivid memory of that jump was how clearly I could see fence posts right after opening!

Personally to a point I don't think that jump numbers are that relevant. The factors that I have found to be very relevant are

1) Currency in the discipline - both of yourself and others on the jump
2) Skill level of the group
3) Planning that has been done prior to the jump

When a big way goes as planned they are very simple and straightforward. It is when the formation doesn't build and the carefully laid out track off plans are useless that things get scary very quickly.

I watched a very good friend with 1000+ jumps have a canopy collision on opening with another person who had 2000+ jumps, because the person with 2000+ tracked right the way through the middle of the formation when it didn't build as planned.

Realistically I think you should be very comfortable on 8-12 ways before going onto the bigger stuff. You need the ability to make rapid decisions on what to do, where to go, planning your outs etc.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Jump 300 was a 22 way.

With about 150 jumps for that year in 4way.

Go with the guys that has done it before, and do their planning well in advance, and will punch you in the face if you mess up.
There you will learn, and probably survive.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I had less than 50 jumps when I did my first 27 way. I had no business on that jump, but some very experienced people put me in the base, and explained my slot to me including exit. I survived. 20 years later, I'm still hesitant to do 20 ways, because of a number of factors, but mostly because I primarily jump at a Cessna DZ and I'm just not used to that many jumpers in the sky.

nigel99

Realistically I think you should be very comfortable on 8-12 ways before going onto the bigger stuff. You need the ability to make rapid decisions on what to do, where to go, planning your outs etc.

Good advice right there. 7 people can all watch out for one novice. So can 9. It's pretty hard for 19 people to do so, though.

I heard Andy Farrington went last out and docked on a 20 way for his 12th or 13th jump when he was 16. The kid's pretty good. :)

Jump 26 right off my A license was a 16 way track at a new DZ and a new plane I had never seen before. Looking back now it was really dumb but did not know any better and nobody told me otherwise. First 20 way was sat 128. I was just glad I wasn't the one that took it out.

my dropzone continually motivate people to improve and gain experience. Therefore if you have the propre licence, and have shown overall awareness and good thinking, the instructors will include new jumpers (but dont expect to be far from an instructor).
My first 20way was at jump 68, as the dropzone loves doing morning ''zoo`s'' with all the early birds

there's missing a 50-100 jump category (so ill just use 100+)

grue

I'll tell you when I do one. Biggest I've done was a 16 way, not really interested in more than that.

79 jumps on a 32 way attempt that built to about 25 at the Freak Brothers convention in '83. I made in around 22nd. :S

Totally safe ......:ph34r: