JeffCa

What type was your first jump and why?

My first was a static line jump on a round parachute. Chose it over tandem.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

SL, didn't even consider a tandem as I wanted to start to skydive and learn how to do it. Also AFF wasn't available and I didn't even know of its existence until later on after I had been in the SL student program for a while.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Tandem.
Actually it never entered my mind to skydive EVER !
I never knew it was an option for the general public.
Met a TI, thought he was fascinating, went to DZ to 'observe' for a few hours, manifested for last load of the day, did a tandem with him, had a mal/ reserve ride, did 2 more tandems in next 2 weeks then started AFF, he taught me to pack, became DZ packer, been together every day since for 8 years, married him 4 years later B|

Static Line. DZ where I did my first jump had students do 5 static lines each with a practice pull (you had to pass each with a decent exit and a good pull of the dummy handle as you came off the wing strut); when you passed your 5 static lines you progressed to what is basically AFF. I think it was called ASL. They also offered straight-to-AFF if you really wanted but they encouraged the static line route. That was good enough for me - if the people I was trusting to teach me recommended static line, then static line for me it was.

Glad I did. Gave me some stories I will also remember.

JeffCa

My first was a static line jump on a round parachute. Chose it over tandem.

Static line. Knew I wasn't really interested in a "one and done", decided to go right into training. AFF was out of my price range, and a 5 hour drive minimum besides.
cavete terrae.

JerryBaumchen

Hi jack,

SL $19

SL $18; you got scammed.

:P

JerryBaumchen

Static Line. At my drop zone in 1975 that was all there was. BUT....I got 5 for $50. I even got the bonus that one had the parachute hooked up bakwards. Good Times, Hard Landings.

My first time under a parachute canopy I did not jump.. I got a lot of training on how to do it, and all the possible bad stuff that could happen... It kind of looked like a Para Commander but.... I was under it and then landed in the water. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWt78Z5UdT8

I was at the local DZ that following Saturday for my FJC and did 2 static line jumps that day.:)

JeffCa

My first was a static line jump on a round parachute.

My first parachute jump was a static line jump in March of 1960 during jump-week with the 82nd Airborne.

The plane was a C-119 or a C-123. The jump, one of five, was static line and the canopy was a T-10. The idea of a "modified" or steerable canopy didn't seep into military jumping until some time in the mid-1970s...maybe even later.

Can anyone tell me when the Airborne units started jumping steerable canopies? I don't mean SF units I mean regular airborne.

My first "skydiving" parachute jump was in June 1960 from a helicopter... can't remember the designation. The rig was a 5-gore double L canopy that I modified on a home sewing machine.

Most of my military and sport jumps were onto Sicily DZ although I jumped Normandy, Salerno and Nijmegan. I also made a jump into a place called Camp Mckall which is west of Ft. Bragg.

I made about three times as many military jumps as the rest of the unit. To be paid our $55 per month jump pay troopers had to jump once every 90 days. Most guys only jumped the minimum. I loved jumping so much that I volunteered to jump any time that my unit, the 82nd ABN Division Artillery was scheduled to jump.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

"... Can anyone tell me when the Airborne units started jumping steerable canopies? I don't mean SF units I mean regular airborne. ..."

................................................................................

Regular airborne still do not jump steerable canopies. If you tried adding steerable canopies to the usual .... um ... er ... "cluster" of hundreds of scared, young paratroopers loaded with rucksacks, rifles and snowshoes, you would just increase the carnage.
Even the newest T-11, S/L canopy is non-steerable.

riggerrob

"... Can anyone tell me when the Airborne units started jumping steerable canopies? I don't mean SF units I mean regular airborne. ..."

................................................................................

Regular airborne still do not jump steerable canopies. If you tried adding steerable canopies to the usual .... um ... er ... "cluster" of hundreds of scared, young paratroopers loaded with rucksacks, rifles and snowshoes, you would just increase the carnage.

Rob,

The 82d used to send guys through school to be able to jump the -1b in the 70s. Although uncommon regular airborne units have and sometimes do jump steerable rounds
Propblast

propblast

***"... Can anyone tell me when the Airborne units started jumping steerable canopies? I don't mean SF units I mean regular airborne. ..."

Rob,

The 82d used to send guys through school to be able to jump the -1b in the 70s. Although uncommon regular airborne units have and sometimes do jump steerable rounds

Military steerable chutes are usually limited to units that only jump in small groups: forward air controllers, pathfinders, search and rescue, etc.