skydiverek

George Bush Sr. tandem jump

While it's a great amount of positive publicity, if he's not fit to jump, he probably shouldn't be jumping. IMO.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Southern_Man

***Did he faint? Watch the landing...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFsmn8LzQ7I

The former president suffers from a form of Parkinson's disease that has mainly confined him to a wheelchair in the past year.

Why didn's they use such harness, which quaratnees that the legs are up even if you are paralyzed jumper (tandem mastre can lift your legs by pulling on the special straps and attaching them to special attachment points):

Watch from time 17:10 :
http://youtu.be/7F4s9Hmo980?t=17m10s

Photo:
http://static.parade.condenast.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Vernon-Maynard-skydiving-100-year-old-ftr.jpg

The landing was decent by the TI, I thought.

However, did he somehow attach that drogue to the helicopter???

You should throw your drogue after getting stable, not throw the drogue first and hope for the best.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

The landing was decent by the TI, I thought.

80 Lb break cord perhaps? :P

You should throw your drogue after getting stable, not throw the drogue first and hope for the best.

He wasn't unstable ergo... :P

Less than 10 seconds of drogue-fall. Exit height ~ 6000 feet? Doesn't look like the helicopter is running in that fast either.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

cpoxon

***The landing was decent by the TI, I thought.

80 Lb break cord perhaps? :P

He wasn't unstable ergo... :P

Less than 10 seconds of drogue-fall. Exit height ~ 6000 feet? Doesn't look like the helicopter is running in that fast either.

Probably trying to minimize the wind at exit...also may be the reason for the short fall prior to opening.

He's just a bit older than me...and MY floppy old face sure gets to shaking at 110mph! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Andy9o8

***While it's a great amount of positive publicity, if he's not fit to jump, he probably shouldn't be jumping. IMO.

Why? - he's made it to age 90. What's the worst that could possibly happen? Seriously.
Yay George.

Former president of the US dies while skydiving.

Bet that would make the news.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I hate videos like this - tomorrow there will be a busload of oldies, zimmer framing their way to the hanger with a press entourage, having the expectation they have a god given right to do a skydive because it's on their bucketlist! :S

2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

theonlyski

******While it's a great amount of positive publicity, if he's not fit to jump, he probably shouldn't be jumping. IMO.

Why? - he's made it to age 90. What's the worst that could possibly happen? Seriously.
Yay George.

Heh heh, yep. But at this point I don't think most people would say "Oh, that's horrible" - bet they'd say "Yay George!"

theonlyski

******While it's a great amount of positive publicity, if he's not fit to jump, he probably shouldn't be jumping. IMO.

Yay George.

Skydiving fatalities result in increased enquiries at dropzones :S[:/]

To answer the OP's question, it does look to me like he passed out. He appears to be wearing white gloves, and at first under canopy he appears to be holding his hands up in front of him. At some point his hands drop to his sides and he appears to be limp. He never seems to move again, no real effort to lift his legs, and no apparent movement right after landing. Looks like the TI did a decent job of surfing him in, considering.

However, older, limp pax's can get hurt if their feet or knees stub in. There's a way around that. If the TI puts his feet to one side of each leg (say the right foot to the left side of the right leg, the left foot to the left side of the left leg), then as you land you kick their legs to the side and roll that way, basically doing a tandem version of a PLF. It looks awkward, but it can prevent injuries.

dudeman17

To answer the OP's question, it does look to me like he passed out. He appears to be wearing white gloves, and at first under canopy he appears to be holding his hands up in front of him. At some point his hands drop to his sides and he appears to be limp. He never seems to move again, no real effort to lift his legs, and no apparent movement right after landing.

He seems to be doing it quite early on. I suspect he just tired/weakened, especially given the attached pictures.

Looks like the TI did a decent job of surfing him in, considering.

Agreed.

dudeman17

To answer the OP's question, it does look to me like he passed out. He appears to be wearing white gloves, and at first under canopy he appears to be holding his hands up in front of him. At some point his hands drop to his sides and he appears to be limp. He never seems to move again, no real effort to lift his legs, and no apparent movement right after landing. Looks like the TI did a decent job of surfing him in, considering.

However, older, limp pax's can get hurt if their feet or knees stub in. There's a way around that. If the TI puts his feet to one side of each leg (say the right foot to the left side of the right leg, the left foot to the left side of the left leg), then as you land you kick their legs to the side and roll that way, basically doing a tandem version of a PLF. It looks awkward, but it can prevent injuries.

Gotta hand hand it to the TI ~ tough gig taking an senior VIP in both years & status...into an area like that. B|

I wonder who it was...I did a demo last year with the GK-TI that took him on his 85th BD jump. Nice kid, not just a talented jumper - but an educated, well spoken, extremely diplomatic representative of the Army's Golden Knights.

It was kinda obvious why HE was the chosen TI, he told me about being invited to the Bush home on many occasions & having played golf often with Jr. & Sr...

Nice work if ya can get it! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I hate videos like this - tomorrow there will be a busload of oldies, zimmer framing their way to the hanger with a press entourage, having the expectation they have a god given right to do a skydive because it's on their bucketlist! [Crazy]

Double your price since you have to take special safety precautions given the age of your new customers, smile as you take their money and giggle all the way to the bank! B|

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...