1 1
finnhilton

Finn's Introduction

My name is Finn Hilton and I have struggled with a fear of heights for as long as I can remember. But despite this, the idea of skydiving has always been something that has intrigued me. I know that the thought of jumping out of a plane is a daunting one, especially for someone with a fear of heights, but I am determined to face my fear and experience the excitement of skydiving. I am ready to take the leap, both literally and figuratively.

2 hours ago, finnhilton said:

My name is Finn Hilton and I have struggled with a fear of heights for as long as I can remember. But despite this, the idea of skydiving has always been something that has intrigued me. I know that the thought of jumping out of a plane is a daunting one, especially for someone with a fear of heights, but I am determined to face my fear and experience the excitement of skydiving. I am ready to take the leap, both literally and figuratively.

I'd be interested to read other comments but a fear of heights, for me at least (as a child who couldn't even climb a tree out of that fear) didn't necessarily translate into a fear of jumping out of a plane. Nervous/anxious during AFF, yes, of course, but no fear.  And if you are a bit scared on AFF, console yourself with the knowledge that you are leaving that plane with extremely competent instructors who have seen it and handled it all before, that you will be flying a large and very forgiving canopy that will look after you too and that, before you know it, you'll be safely back on terra firma. Blue skies.

My first husband didn't like heights, but was just fine with skydiving. What I used to tell students (back when they climbed out onto the step and looked down if they were normal -- before looking back in at me) was that it was like a map down there. Heights generally implies some frame of reference (e.g. the building or cliff all the way down); with an airplane, there's just the air in between, and no frame of reference, so the distance is more arbitrary.

Wendy P.