1 1
Bokdrol

National Geographic Mag. Jan 2023

14 hours ago, ryoder said:

Wanna see my picture on the cover ♪
Wanna buy five copies for my granddaughter ♪
Wanna see my smilin' face ♪
On the cover of the National Geographic ♪

The magazine article is about keeping younger and firing on all cylinders at old/er age rather than just subsiding into terminal bed shitters. It's a 69 year old Dutch skydiver by the name of Arnold Camfferman - according to Nat Geo mag website he does about 500-700 jumps p.a. They go into a spiel about getting the photo, as if it was something unique (putting a camera on to the helmet of another skydiver....wow) so we can maybe take some of it with a pinch of salt. However, I wonder how many of us would turn down the opportunity to appear on the front cover of a worldwide publication? I'd be happy with being on page 3 of The Sun....lol

2 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

The magazine article is about keeping younger and firing on all cylinders at old/er age rather than just subsiding into terminal bed shitters. It's a 69 year old Dutch skydiver by the name of Arnold Camfferman - according to Nat Geo mag website he does about 500-700 jumps p.a. They go into a spiel about getting the photo, as if it was something unique (putting a camera on to the helmet of another skydiver....wow) so we can maybe take some of it with a pinch of salt. However, I wonder how many of us would turn down the opportunity to appear on the front cover of a worldwide publication? I'd be happy with being on page 3 of The Sun....lol

Well, I think they should have looked up Pat and Alicia Moorhead.

69 is nothing these days.  I was 71 when I participated in the wingsuit large formation world record.  Betty Bennett is close to 80 and she still travels all over doing high end big ways,

46 minutes ago, kallend said:

Well, I think they should have looked up Pat and Alicia Moorhead.

69 is nothing these days.  I was 71 when I participated in the wingsuit large formation world record.  Betty Bennett is close to 80 and she still travels all over doing high end big ways,

Sure, there are many older current jumpers to be found - I'm older than the bloke on the cover, as are you and the jumpers you have mentioned. They didn't look us up though! Their loss.  However, to the general public who read N.G., doing an extreme sport like skydiving at the age of 69+ will seem unreal. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 2:09 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bokdrol,

A good friend, Jay Gile, who is 75 just called it quits.  He was very active right up until then.

Jerry Baumchen

Jay is such a good guy. I always enjoyed jumping with him at my boogies and at Lost Prairie.

1 hour ago, grimmie said:

Jay is such a good guy. I always enjoyed jumping with him at my boogies and at Lost Prairie.

Hi Rich,

I first met Jay in 1973.  He had just moved into this area & he was looking to buy a ParaCommander.  Someone told him he could get a good price on it from me.  He called me up & I looked at what patterns were available & we made a deal.

To make a little more $$$ on the sale, I decided to make the sleeve myself.  I made it & it worked just fine.  To this day, it is the only sleeve that I ever built.

Jerry Baumchen