1 1
billvon

Go woke, go . . . .

From Disney website...

This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures. These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together.

Disney is committed to creating stories with inspirational and aspirational themes that reflect the rich diversity of the human experience around the globe.

To learn more about how stories have impacted society, please visit
www.disney.com/StoriesMatter

Don't you think it's a bit strange that they continue to show these?

(edited)
31 minutes ago, airdvr said:

From Disney website...

This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures. These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together.

Disney is committed to creating stories with inspirational and aspirational themes that reflect the rich diversity of the human experience around the globe.

Nothing is more egregious, outrageous, shocking, than to imagine movies about dancing slaves.Who are celebrating their slavery. Celebrating the auctions where "wenches" are sold off like Florida condos. The successful winners taking possession of women for their sexual pleasures. Yep, FOX, the GOP defining family values for the new conservative American gun totin child.

Disney Didn’t Leave the GOP Behind — Culture Did nothing says more about Florida than MTG and DeSantis. Working with FOX to define new family values.

spacer.png

Edited by Phil1111

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

From Disney website...

In order to aid the conversation, perhaps you could clarify which part of the explanation that you just quoted you find strange?

It might also help if you said what it is they’re continuing to show that you have a problem with?

I think he's saying that Disney should just remove them from existence. However, since there are lots of copies out there, they still exist, and it's not that awful for Disney to explain. OTOH, if they have a major push trying to sell them. Make them available if requested, yeah. Kind of like how Huckleberry Finn is still a classic even though it uses the N-word all over the place. Let it exist, and explain it.

The thing that's bad is normalizing the "happy servant" trope, or talking about how much better the Native Americans were off after the arrival of Europeans because of horses, without going into the whole disease-caused holocaust and de-landing of the population.

Context is key.

Wendy P.

I agree Wendy.  I guess my point is Jemima and Ben had to go.  My beloved Indians are now the Guardians.  Statues had to be torn down.  Schools re-named.  If it's to be done do it well.  Or you can pledge $5mil to social justice warriors and be left alone?

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Seems to me if you're truly woke you wouldn't be cashing in off these. 

?? Woke is being alert to injustice in society.  There's nothing in there about being required to censor previous racist or sexist materlal, no matter how much conservatives try to redefine it.  How it SHOULD work is those movies can still be accessed by people who want to see them (and perhaps learn from them) but they simply no longer make much money because society has moved on.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I agree Wendy.  I guess my point is Jemima and Ben had to go. 

That was companies profiting over new marketing.  Should the government prohibit companies from deciding to change their marketing?

Statues had to be torn down. 

That was towns deciding to change their statues.  My home town did that at least four times; they kept taking out cannons and replacing them for some reason.  Should the federal government prohibit local governments from doing things like that?

(edited)
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

If it's to be done do it well.  Or you can pledge $5mil to social justice warriors and be left alone?

If what is to be done? What are you asking them to get rid of?

Statues had to be torn down.  Schools re-named.

Do you think there's anything wrong with taking down statues in US towns celebrating men who took up arms against the US? Do you have any problem with making it so that schools which black children attend aren't named in honour of men who fought to defend black slavery?

Edited by jakee

The leader of the Dambusters raid (1943),  Guy Gibson, VC, had a black labrador that in various versions of the movie about the raid is renamed Trigger or Blackie.  The death of the dog is actually important in the unfolding of the events of the raid.

Re-writing history to avoid offending people (none of whom that I've met seem actually offended) seems silly to me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kallend said:

The leader of the Dambusters raid (1943),  Guy Gibson, VC, had a black labrador that in various versions of the movie about the raid is renamed Trigger or Blackie.  The death of the dog is actually important in the unfolding of the events of the raid.

Re-writing history to avoid offending people (none of whom that I've met seem actually offended) seems silly to me. 

Expecting a movie to be 100% accurate history seems silly to me. If you’re interested in what actually happened, the name of the dog is hardly the most important historical fact or event they changed. 

(edited)
13 minutes ago, kallend said:

I guess I just have higher expectations than you.

Or don’t understand the entertainment industry. 
Again, even though The Dam Busters was generally very, very good at presenting the true story there are plenty of much bigger changes or omissions that make it flow better as a film and story designed to entertain people. Things that are much more relevant to a historian interested in what actually happened and when than the name of a dog. 

Edited by jakee

3 hours ago, jakee said:

Or don’t understand the entertainment industry. 

The orginal from the studio didn't change the name, just re re-issuers.  They even clearly stated they changed the name, so they weren't fooling anyone with the ability to read.  

I indeed have higher expectations than you.

23 hours ago, billvon said:

That was companies profiting over new marketing.  Should the government prohibit companies from deciding to change their marketing?

That was towns deciding to change their statues.  My home town did that at least four times; they kept taking out cannons and replacing them for some reason.  Should the federal government prohibit local governments from doing things like that?

I'm not asking the feds to do anything.  Just to be clear you're OK with Disney selling offensive and racist movies to kids.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I'm not asking the feds to do anything.  Just to be clear you're OK with Disney selling offensive and racist movies to kids.

Hi airdvr,

Just so I can understand your concerns, would you quantity 'kids' so I can know just what ages you're are referring to?

An 8-yr old is a LOT different than a 17-yr old.

Jerry Baumchen

25 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi airdvr,

Just so I can understand your concerns, would you quantity 'kids' so I can know just what ages you're are referring to?

An 8-yr old is a LOT different than a 17-yr old.

Jerry Baumchen

I think by the time they reach 17 they've seen these.

Disney identified six movies available on Disney Plus that are labeled with the new advisory — including "Peter Pan," "The Aristocats," "The Jungle Book," "Lady and the Tramp," "Dumbo," and "Swiss Family Robinson." 

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I'm OK with Disney making all their movies available to adults - which includes adults who have children.  As to what kids watch, that's up to their parents, not Disney.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kallend said:

The orginal from the studio didn't change the name, just re re-issuers.  They even clearly stated they changed the name, so they weren't fooling anyone with the ability to read.  

I indeed have higher expectations than you.

The original from the studio contained far more significant historical rewrites than the name of a dog yet you don’t appear to care about them. What exactly are these expectations of yours?

Those original historical deviations were mostly made to make the film more watchable. The re-issue edit was made to keep the film watchable. It’s the same entertainment industry doing the same thing at two different times.