1 1
billvon

Go woke, go . . . .

33 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Disney identified six movies available on Disney Plus that are labeled with the new advisory — including "Peter Pan," "The Aristocats," "The Jungle Book," "Lady and the Tramp," "Dumbo," and "Swiss Family Robinson." 

And what is it about these films that you think is particularly dangerous to kids?

4 minutes ago, jakee said:

The original from the studio contained far more significant historical rewrites than the name of a dog yet you don’t appear to care about them. What exactly are these expectations of yours?

Those original historical deviations were mostly made to make the film more watchable. The re-issue edit was made to keep the film watchable. It’s the same entertainment industry doing the same thing at two different times.

Changing the name of the dog (which name became one of the the code words for the attack, explained at some length in the movie)  some 40 years after the fact did nothing for the watchability of the film.  It was pandering, pure and simple.  And I notice the Blu-Ray HD version has restored rhe dog's (and code word's) actual name.  Apparently others besides me think sanitizing it was stupid.

23 minutes ago, billvon said:

I'm OK with Disney making all their movies available to adults - which includes adults who have children.  As to what kids watch, that's up to their parents, not Disney.

Whoa, Red Rider! Are you saying parents and not Government or Corporations should decide how to raise their kids? That's some right wing guff there, amigo.

13 minutes ago, kallend said:

Changing the name of the dog (which name became one of the the code words for the attack, explained at some length in the movie)  some 40 years after the fact did nothing for the watchability of the film.

It did nothing to hurt the watchability either and (as you’ve explained already) did nothing to mask any real history. Seems an odd choice of hill to die on. 

11 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Whoa, Red Rider! Are you saying parents and not Government or Corporations should decide how to raise their kids? That's some right wing guff there, amigo.

Happy to disappoint.

(Of course, there are several decisions about kids that conservatives want to take away from their parents, so it all balances out.)

16 minutes ago, kallend said:

Changing the name of the dog (which name became one of the the code words for the attack, explained at some length in the movie)  some 40 years after the fact did nothing for the watchability of the film. 

Not for you.  But you are pretty far from a typical movie viewer.

3 hours ago, jakee said:

It did nothing to hurt the watchability either and (as you’ve explained already) did nothing to mask any real history. Seems an odd choice of hill to die on. 

"We have always been at war with Eastasia" is a very slippery slope to skate on.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

"We have always been at war with Eastasia" is a very slippery slope to skate on.

Y'know, one of the first books that I read that I really remember was a book called "Mayday" by Thomas Block.  I read it when I was 14.

A few years back I looked it up again and realized that they had re-released it in 1998.  I read it again and it had a completely different ending.  I eventually got an old paperback on Ebay to compare the two.  The changes were interesting, and were mainly to modernize it (removed all the incessant smoking, for example.)

Nothing slid down a slope, and no history was erased.

4 hours ago, kallend said:

Every entertainment film about historical events changes things about the history it depicts. Every single one before The Dam Busters, every single one after The Dam Busters. That’s more of a flat line than a slope. 

2 hours ago, jakee said:

Every entertainment film about historical events changes things about the history it depicts. Every single one before The Dam Busters, every single one after The Dam Busters. That’s more of a flat line than a slope. 

I'm pleased to report that the latest release (HD, Blu Ray) has chosen to revert to the original, correct version and not  rewrite that particular piece of history simply for the sake of being PC.

12 hours ago, jakee said:

And what is it about these films that you think is particularly dangerous to kids?

I don't think anything about these films is dangerous.  Obviously Disney has a different opinion.

My point is if a corporation wants to earn bonus points by virtue signaling perhaps they should walk the walk.

(edited)
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I don't think anything about these films is dangerous.  Obviously Disney has a different opinion.

Clearly not that different. Look - if you don’t think these films are too dangerous to show to kids, Disney doesn’t think the films are too dangerous to show to kids, and the films are still on show… what in the fucking shit are you actually whinging about? Seriously, what kind of rampant snowflakery is it that you’ve managed to become offended by Disney showing films that you think should be shown?

And you wanna talk about hypocrisy? The entire right wing anti-cancelling culture war is based around the idea that things should be talked about. A University students association decides to bar a holocaust denier? Well why don’t you talk to them and defend your case through argument instead!? As if there was any argument that hasn’t been won a 100 times over at this point. Some venue decides to ban a pro-Confederacy speaker from appearing? Well why don’t you turn up defend your case through argument instead! As if there’s any argument left to win.

And now, here’s Disney saying look, some small parts of these films aren’t 100% ok by modern standards but they’re not that bad and it’s more worthwhile talking about the changes in society than hiding them. And that’s not fucking good enough for you all of a sudden! You still find an excuse to bitch and moan and cry about how unfair it is because that’s all the modern right knows how to do these days. There’s literally nothing Disney could do to stop you pretending to be their poor defenceless victim because you’ve decided that they’re on the other side of this so called culture war you’re all so desperate to push. Just get the fuck over it already.

Edited by jakee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kallend said:

I'm pleased to report that the latest release (HD, Blu Ray) has chosen to revert to the original, correct version and not  rewrite that particular piece of history simply for the sake of being PC.

Right, so it’s not historical inaccuracy that bugs you, it’s being PC that’s the problem. Glad we cleared that up.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Right, so it’s not historical inaccuracy that bugs you, it’s being PC that’s the problem. Glad we cleared that up.

Arrogantly wrong again.  It's stupid, ineffectve, and annoying to those who know history, to change it for a silly reason.  There's no evidence of anyone ever being offended by the correct use of the dog's name and code word in the movie.

I think the previously cited Wikipedia article articulates it better than I have.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

...And you wanna talk about hypocrisy? The entire right wing anti-cancelling culture war is based around the idea that things should be talked about. A University students association decides to bar a holocaust denier? Well why don’t you talk to them and defend your case through argument instead!? As if there was any argument that hasn’t been won a 100 times over at this point. Some venue decides to ban a pro-Confederacy speaker from appearing? Well why don’t you turn up defend your case through argument instead! As if there’s any argument left to win.

And now, here’s Disney saying look, some small parts of these films aren’t 100% ok by modern standards but they’re not that bad and it’s more worthwhile talking about the changes in society than hiding them. And that’s not fucking good enough for you all of a sudden! You still find an excuse to bitch and moan and cry about how unfair it is because that’s all the modern right knows how to do these days. There’s literally nothing Disney could do to stop you pretending to be their poor defenceless victim because you’ve decided that they’re on the other side of this so called culture war you’re all so desperate to push. Just get the fuck over it already.

Don't forget what really grates upon the intellect of the right in America. Those that worship at the altar of anti=wokism like DeSantis. The possibility of paying reparations for American slavery. They shake in fear that they could become like Canada. $2.8-billion settlement reached in class action lawsuit over residential schools  "Suit was filed in 2012 over destruction of language and culture caused by residential school system"

Imagine if the US right had to financially address past wrongdoing of natives, minorities? Good thing that they have the USSC in its current makeup. It can keep the boot on the necks of _______.

36 minutes ago, kallend said:

Arrogantly wrong again.  It's stupid, ineffectve, and annoying to those who know history, to change it for a silly reason. 

But you’re happy for them to change it for non-silly reasons like ‘it makes the film better’. Now you’re simply having a disagreement about whether the change makes the film better. And your answer is no, because you don’t like PC. 

3 hours ago, jakee said:

Clearly not that different. Look - if you don’t think these films are too dangerous to show to kids, Disney doesn’t think the films are too dangerous to show to kids, and the films are still on show… what in the fucking shit are you actually whinging about? Seriously, what kind of rampant snowflakery is it that you’ve managed to become offended by Disney showing films that you think should be shown?

And you wanna talk about hypocrisy? The entire right wing anti-cancelling culture war is based around the idea that things should be talked about. A University students association decides to bar a holocaust denier? Well why don’t you talk to them and defend your case through argument instead!? As if there was any argument that hasn’t been won a 100 times over at this point. Some venue decides to ban a pro-Confederacy speaker from appearing? Well why don’t you turn up defend your case through argument instead! As if there’s any argument left to win.

Once again you miss the point of my post.  If the parent company of these films says they aren't ok they should put their money where their mouth is.

8 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Once again you miss the point of my post.  If the parent company of these films says they aren't ok they should put their money where their mouth is.

Why do you think that anything you personally find remotely offensive should be withdrawn from view?

17 minutes ago, airdvr said:

?? I don't think that racism is OK.  That does not mean any mention of it should be removed from society.  I am sure you agree.

There are a lot of Little Rascals episodes that TV stations wouldn't play even back in the 1980's.  Today most of them would be considered racist.  But that doesn't mean they should be deleted, and if you want to find them on Youtube you can.  That's also OK.  That doesn't mean that Youtube is racist, or is "not putting their money where their mouth is."

And again I am sure you agree.

I get the feeling you believe you have a point, but other than "Disney drools" I have no idea what it is.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

There's no evidence of anyone ever being offended by the correct use of the dog's name and code word in the movie.

Nobody ever told an old white guy that nigger is offensive....I am shocked. I am sure you took a real long time searching for this too before stating nobody was ever offended by it.

(edited)
12 hours ago, kallend said:

Arrogantly wrong again.  It's stupid, ineffectve, and annoying to those who know history, to change it for a silly reason.  There's no evidence of anyone ever being offended by the correct use of the dog's name and code word in the movie.

For crying out loud John, you are full of shite on this one. You won't even type out the name you are defending here because you know how offensive it has become. You can't, I had to Google to find out what the word is. If you can't say it why the freaking hell should it remain in the movie?

Edited to appear slightly less juvenile and naughty.

Edited by gowlerk

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

For crying out loud John, you are full of shite on this one. You won't even type out the name you are defending here because you know how offensive it has become. You can't, I had to Google to find out what the word is. If you can't say it why the freaking hell should it remain in the movie?

Edited to appear slightly less juvenile and naughty.

So you too approve of  changing historical events for political reasons (even if just "correctness".

We have always been at war with Eastasia.