1 1
billvon

Go woke, go . . . .

. . . to the bank with bags of money.  Almost $2 billion in fact.

(Spoilers below.)

Avatar 2 had a huge opening and has so far made almost $2 billion.  It is right now the 7th biggest movie EVER, and it is still in its initial run.

And it is as woke as they come.  It attacks whaling, capitalism, the military and white men, one of whom plays the biggest human villain.  (And they even return the white male Bad Guy from Avatar 1 as  . . . an avatar.)  And plays on the theme of exploitation of indigenous people and their environment; that in fact is the central theme of the movie.  Cameron even insisted the crew go vegan for the shoot, and made it a point to reduce the gun violence during editing.

And it's on track to be one of the biggest sequels ever.

So how did Breitbart report this?  No joke: "Crushing Loss Makes Woke Disney’s Nightmare Even Worse"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billvon said:

. . . to the bank with bags of money.  Almost $2 billion in fact...

So how did Breitbart report this?  No joke: "Crushing Loss Makes Woke Disney’s Nightmare Even Worse"

So its not likely that Brent will make a family outing with the young-uns then?

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

So its not likely that Brent will make a family outing with the young-uns then?

Nope.  Good conservatives will get on Facebook, complain about liberal cancel culture, then try to cancel Disney by boycotting their woke movies.

And, of course, never notice the hypocrisy.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Here we go. The Mars candy empire is the latest to face anti-woke wrath.

And this isn't the first time.  None other than Tucker Carlson lamented last year that "the brown M+M has 'transitioned' from high stilettos to lower block heels.  Less sexy!  That's progress!  M&M’s will not be satisfied until every last cartoon character is deeply unappealing and totally androgynous. Until the moment you wouldn’t want to have a drink with any one of them. That’s the goal. When you’re totally turned off, we’ve achieved equity."

I don't know what's more disturbing.  The idea that even candy gets targeted by right wing nuts, or that Tucker Carlson was actually disappointed that he no longer finds one of the M+M cartoon characters arousing - to the point where he wouldn't even buy her a drink and, you know, give it the ol' college try.

On 1/10/2023 at 11:48 PM, billvon said:

And this isn't the first time.  None other than Tucker Carlson lamented last year that "the brown M+M has 'transitioned' from high stilettos to lower block heels.  Less sexy!  That's progress!  M&M’s will not be satisfied until every last cartoon character is deeply unappealing and totally androgynous. Until the moment you wouldn’t want to have a drink with any one of them. That’s the goal. When you’re totally turned off, we’ve achieved equity."

I don't know what's more disturbing.  The idea that even candy gets targeted by right wing nuts, or that Tucker Carlson was actually disappointed that he no longer finds one of the M+M cartoon characters arousing - to the point where he wouldn't even buy her a drink and, you know, give it the ol' college try.

Is this change being driven by M&M Mars or their advertising agency to be politically / culturally correct.

What about LBGT...and you are forgetting about Drag Queen M&M's.

Are they wearing Nike or Addis sneakers, maybe Air Jordans.  None of them are wearing pants.

Does a piece of candy have to represent something.  Just rip open the package, throw it away and eat a handful of the things.

59 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

Is this change being driven by M&M Mars or their advertising agency to be politically / culturally correct.

It is being driven by M+M Mars to make more money - as is the case with pretty much all advertising.

Does a piece of candy have to represent something.  

Yes it does - profit.

2 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

What about LBGT...and you are forgetting about Drag Queen M&M's.

Are they wearing Nike or Addis sneakers, maybe Air Jordans.  None of them are wearing pants.

Does a piece of candy have to represent something.  Just rip open the package, throw it away and eat a handful of the things.

I don’t know the answer to any of those things. All I know is that Carlson tucker is upset about it.

Do you guys realize how dumb you all sound? If not, then It might be time to take at least 6 months off from it all. (preferably a year) No politics, no news, no posting.  Just go about your real life while you still can.  Then come back here, and I guarantee you'll see what I mean.  

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Do you guys realize how dumb you all sound? If not, then It might be time to take at least 6 months off from it all. (preferably a year) No politics, no news, no posting.  Just go about your real life while you still can.  Then come back here, and I guarantee you'll see what I mean.  

So very true, anyone like Brent or Tucker who genuinely gets wound up about stuff being ‘too woke’ really needs to take a break! The rest of us are quite happy just pointing and laughing at them, though. 

3 hours ago, jakee said:

So very true, anyone like Brent or Tucker who genuinely gets wound up about stuff being ‘too woke’ really needs to take a break! The rest of us are quite happy just pointing and laughing at them, though. 

To be fair, I think Tucker doesn't really get wound up about it....he's just perfected the method of winding up the Brents of the world.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lippy said:

To be fair, I think Tucker doesn't really get wound up about it....he's just perfected the method of winding up the Brents of the world.

Yup. Just like all the antivax shit he spews...

While being fully vaxxed himself.

On a similar note, Lynette Hardaway, "Diamond" of 'Diamond & Silk' died last week.

She was reported hospitalized with Covid back around Thanksgiving. 

Kinda funny how all the 'upper level' grifters (Fox, most of the Republicans) are almost certainly fully vaxxed, while the 'minor leaguers' (State reps, Phil Valentine and a host of other Right wing local radio personalities) weren't...

And are now dead.

7 hours ago, billvon said:
On 1/14/2023 at 11:57 PM, Coreece said:

Do you guys realize how dumb you all sound?

Do tell!

Per your guidelines, it's not advised to feed the troll as they only try to create chaos to make themselves feel better about something and to get others to call them "fucking idiots," as you put it.

7 hours ago, billvon said:

Then tell us all how we should take some time off so we don't spend our time going on internet forums telling other people how dumb they sound.

Or I could create a thread about the nature of trolling and how sad it is, then a few days later create a tit-for-tat troll revenge thread trolling the other troll thread.

5 hours ago, Coreece said:

Per your guidelines, it's not advised to feed the troll as they only try to create chaos to make themselves feel better about something and to get others to call them "fucking idiots," as you put it.

Or I could create a thread about the nature of trolling and how sad it is, then a few days later create a tit-for-tat troll revenge thread trolling the other troll thread.

What about people who don't have friends, need community, and can't stomach religion. Troll lives matter.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Is this movie considered successful yet?

Yep.  Woke movie now #6 grossing movie of all time.

Compare that to John Carter, the least woke movie ever.  A white man (a Confederate hero no less) is transported to Mars, where he wows the natives with his strength and intelligence, defeats their witless and vicious enemies, then marries the princess and takes over as their leader

That is, to this day, the worst grossing movie - ever.  It lost $160 million.

Disney has learned its lesson.  They are going to go in the Avatar direction.

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Woke movie now #6 grossing movie of all time.

Good for them, it was a long time in the making given it was written over 10 years ago and took 5+ years to film, but apparently, not woke enough. 

The moment the dolphins jumped out at an Avatar-themed spectacle, animal activists were ready to jump ship. Enraged at Cameron's betrayal,  they  posted a open letter and invited him on a trip to Japan re-educating him on slaughtering dolphins:

"Now I’m wondering if I’ve wasted the last fifty-two years of my life doing this?  After all,  if we can’t even get through to this select group of well-educated filmmakers,  maybe we’re wasting our time trying to educate ordinary people. . .At 83,  I don’t want to spend my time wasting my time.  I have been forced to rethink everything. . .

I’d like to personally show them where the dolphins that entertained them so well most likely came from. . . and that trainers who purport to care for dolphins work alongside those who brutally slaughter dolphins."

Cameron, who claims to have been as surprised as the audience, tried to calm the waters with an apology email:

“So, if people really want to save the dolphins, they should put down the damn tuna melt … in fact, stop eating fish altogether and stick to plant-based proteins, as I have for the last 10 years. I wanted you to know this was a faux pas outside my ability to foresee or prevent, and that I’m sorry about it.”

Then movie critics, community activists, and university professors alike blasted it for cultural appropriation:

“Avatar: The Way of Water” amounts to little more than a White Savior film riddled with cultural appropriation."

"Join Natives & other Indigenous groups around the world in boycotting this horrible & racist film."

"At some point we gotta talk about the cultural appropriation of Avatar and white actors are cos playing as poc. It’s just a mess and so not necessary & no amount of visual effects/CGI is gonna erase that."

"the new Avatar film is being accused of using an amalgamation of the histories of various Indigenous cultures for a film that features a largely white cast."

“Why watch a ridiculous movie about blue aliens when you could just support actual Indigenous people and our struggle for clean water here on Earth? Yes, we do exist.”

And then Cameron, forcing people to go vegan?  And calling testosterone a toxin that needs to be purged from the body?

. . .what a bunch of nut-holes.

16 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I wanted you to know this was a faux pas outside my ability to foresee or prevent, and that I’m sorry about it.”

It was nice of you to go to the effort of being outraged on behalf of an entirely un-outraged Cameron.

BTW, there are people who think Cameron is forcing them to be vegan? What a bunch of nutholes!