AleGolem

Birthday Jump

I've been trying to get a group together to jump for several years and people always flake at the last minute. My wonderful fiancé asked me the other night what I wanted to do for my 30th birthday and I jokingly said "finally skydive". I woke up the next morning with a reservation booked in my name for my birthday, December 20th. I'm insanely excited however have no idea on what to wear. I know it'll be cold, very cold, and I figure I'll layer up with a t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, sweater, pajama pants and jeans. I was planning on buying a face mask, specifically the Chaos Hats Chinook Micro Fleece Neck Gaiter from Amazon, but I'm not sure what gloves or coat to grab. Unfortunately the decision need to be made pretty quick if I'm ordering it online.

Call the dropzone where you're planning on making the jump and ask them for recommendations.

If she bought the ticket from one of the services (e.g. 1-800-SKYRIDE), they've been known to sell tickets out of season, etc. Many northern dropzones aren't open in the winter time. So checking with the dropzone is always best. And, frankly, for any other people who are interested in making a first jump, using the dropzone rather than a service is always best -- then you get to talk to real people.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Where are you jumping? Looks like it's going to be colder than a witch's meat freezer over a good chunk of the country for the foreseeable future. Nice and warm in Orlando, though.

If you're jumping in one of the cold parts, you can get some thermal underwear that should keep most of you plenty warm. I always have a problem with my hands. I can't find a pair of gloves thick enough to keep them warm but thin enough that I'm comfortable wearing them skydiving. Friend of mine found some hunter's gloves at Walmart that seemed pretty nice, so I'm probably going to give those a try when the temps get back up to double digits.

I also have some neoprene socks that are pretty nice -- search for "Neosock" on amazon.com. I got them for skydiving but wear them to bed on the coldest nights, too.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

wmw999

Call the dropzone where you're planning on making the jump and ask them for recommendations.

If she bought the ticket from one of the services (e.g. 1-800-SKYRIDE), they've been known to sell tickets out of season...

Alright, I'll make a call on Monday. I know she booked it with the DZ because she used the number from their website which states they run year round, weather permitting.

FlyingRhenquest

Where are you jumping? Looks like it's going to be colder than a witch's meat freezer over a good chunk of the country for the foreseeable future. Nice and warm in Orlando, though.

Saratoga in upstate NY, yep it'll be brisk to say the very least.

AleGolem

***Where are you jumping? Looks like it's going to be colder than a witch's meat freezer over a good chunk of the country for the foreseeable future. Nice and warm in Orlando, though.

Saratoga in upstate NY, yep it'll be brisk to say the very least.

Yikes! I think I'd treat myself to a trip to Florida and THEN a skydive. Orlando's supposedly has highs of 80 this week.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Sounds like a plan, then -- and the right one. Yes, it'll be cold. But if they operate year-round, they'll have some valid advice, and probably some stuff that they can help provide, as well. I'd say that something to stop the wind is most important. Note: if it's cloudy out, you're not jumping unless the clouds are above the jump altitude.

And enjoy the jump (whenever it happens)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well right now temps in the 6-9k ft altitude range are ~12 degress F in your area. So you might want to prepare for it being a bit nippy. (You think it might be colder in 3 weeks?)

Of course, did anyone mention the wind? Let me consult a wind chill chart ...

Opps, charts don't go up to 120 mph, so will have to use the formula ...

So 120 mph in 12 degree F air gives a wind chill of negative 23 degrees F.

Of course, that is only for the free fall portion, and you will slow down once the canopy opens (*if* the canopy opens B|). At that point you be moving at about 20 mph, so the calculation shows the wind chill to be a very toasty negative 6 degrees F. Heck, your freezer at home is nearly that warm.

So if you want to see if what you plan on using will be okay, put it all on and go sit in your freezer for about 10 min.

Oh, one more thing: the ride up to altitude will probably take about 30 min, and if the plane you are riding is like the ones most of us jump out of, it will be a heated cabin with a tightly sealed door and plenty of room to stand up and roam around to get the circulation flowing. (And a little known fact about jump planes is the high level of beverage service we all get: odds are that at that time of the year, they will be serving piping hot chocholate or other toasty warm beverage. Indeed, some think the ride up is the best part of the experience that time of year!)

I have some neoprene gloves that I literally can't even put on until 8k or so in the air, otherwise my hands sweat in them and damp gloves on subsequent jumps suck

I wear the 3.0 under armour thermal stuff layered with an insulated running turtleneck shirt over it, and a thin undershirt under it. On the bottom I wear a pair of the 3.0 tights with a pair of regular running tights. All of this is covered by my jumpsuit and keeps me toasty warm. For socks, I wear ski socks, same philosophy as the gloves, I put them on right before I jump and take them off when I land. Keeps them from getting damp from regular wear, which keeps them warm.

Hope this helps!

We wound up putting everything off until June but I was able to take my first jump this past Sunday. That was hands down the greatest experience of my life and I can't wait to go back up at least once more before the summer is out. I'm seriously contemplating taking the certification course they offer.