E.Byrd

Freefly Bungee: is it really necessary?

I have had many debates with various people regarding the utility of the freefly bungees on rigs. Generally I have encountered two different perspectives.

1. Freefly Bungees should always be worn in the case of a premature opening while in a sit position to prevent the possibility of falling out of the rig.

2. If the rig is cut specifically for you there is no need for a bungee. The legstraps will remain where they are meant to be no matter your orientation.

I believe, we can all agree that the bungee is not meant to be weight bearing, just to keep the leg straps closer together and in the correct position on your legs no matter your orientation in free fall. Given the intended purpose of the bungee and the fact that all rigs (I have seen) are made with bungee attachment points why would one chose to not use one? I am guessing the manufacturers see some utility in them if the attachment points come standard on all rigs.

The people I have talked to about this have ranged from very low jump numbers to thousands and I have received variations of both answers from both groups.

My rig is cut specifically for me and while I believe that my leg straps will not shift in free fall I see no harm in wearing one.

If you use a bungee on your rig, why? If you do not, why not?

My rig is cut for me but since i don't like my legstraps too tight there is still the danger that the leg straps slide up your legs in some positions, like on exit. That's why i'm using a bungee. I see no reason why not to use one, they don't weigh anything, cost nothing and i also don't see any disadvantages except for other guys letting them flip against your..... ;-) also for wingsuiting i just put a carabiner in the middle to detach this system in a matter of a second.

My answer is 1.5

You don't "always" need one, it's your chooise.
But I don't believe a rig made for you can't slip of you in a unlucky sitdeployment.

I have one. I guess mostly because of the "sitdeployment", but also because it keeps the legstraps in position when I gear up.
They don't twist and move out of position.

Necessary? No. I've never needed one on any of my rigs as they've all fit me perfectly. Is it a really good idea? Yep. it's about 15 cents of material that can have a positive effect and no downside.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My rig was made for me and the leg straps do slide up (down?) my legs. So with that said, I have had one on my rig since I got it. Everyone is different...whether the rig was made for you or someone else. It might slide up your leg, it might not. If it does, that bungee will work wonders.
my pics & stuff!

I know someone who had a hard opening on a very well fitting custom rig. They fell out of the back of the harness, hanging from the leg straps by their knees at 2000' (yes, this is the stuff of nightmares. . . :o). They were able to climb back in the harness and make an uneventful landing. Someone less athletic or limber might have died.

Since then that person will NOT jump without a cross connector.

This type of thing has happened more than once.

I say bring back the belly bands and saddle straps, but the wouldn't be stylish. :S

The real reason you arch when you pull?
So the harness doesn't slip off. :P:D

E.Byrd

2. If the rig is cut specifically for you there is no need for a bungee. The legstraps will remain where they are meant to be no matter your orientation.

I've taken rigs off of 2 people who said that very statement. I had them put their rigs on, tightened their straps to jump ready...and took their rigs off of them (to their surprise).

IMO, fitting the rig correctly and/or keeping everything tight will not keep keep your legs straps from being able to slide up in the right conditions. Your legs taper, moving something from a thick area to a thinner one has physics in it's favor.

JohnMitchell

I say bring back the belly bands and saddle straps, but the wouldn't be stylish. :S

I'm starting to see them. A local jumper who tried and tried to get her custom-fit container to where it was comfortable / safe for her when she freeflies finally added a belly band and she's been very happy with it. I saw another woman when I was down in Perris recently who had a belly band for freefly as well. So, there's at least a few folks (besides the swoopers, who use them for a different reason) who are bringing them back.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

I'm starting to see them. A local jumper who tried and tried to get her custom-fit container to where it was comfortable / safe for her when she freeflies finally added a belly band and she's been very happy with it. I saw another woman when I was down in Perris recently who had a belly band for freefly as well. So, there's at least a few folks (besides the swoopers, who use them for a different reason) who are bringing them back.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure I see how a belly band would help with wandering leg straps (or falling out of legstraps on a premature sit-fly opening). Could someone explain this?

evan85

but I'm not sure I see how a belly band would help with wandering leg straps (or falling out of legstraps on a premature sit-fly opening).

I'm not sure that it changes where the leg straps go, but by pulling forward on the main lift webs, keeps a flexible rig from lifting away from the jumper's back, especially when legs come up for a sit fly. This reduces the size of "the hole" from the back.

faulknerwn

Out of curiosity - did those rigs have hip rings? I have some rigs with hip rings and some without and there is a very noticeable difference in how far the leg straps can move..

When I took it off others... I don't remember specifically. With my own rigs, I have done it with and without rings. I can say with rings it seems more easy to do.

I have had the leg straps slide down my legs just in a sit and wouldn't jump without.

I rigged up a small clip (from a puppy collar) onto a key ring circle and elastic to make them easy to clip on and off when switching between freefly and wingsuit.

As with a poster above - why would you not have them?!

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Having just this weekend ''tested'' this issue i'll chime in.

I have a very tight fitting suit (Uno 618) and its material is quite slick aswell, especially where the leg straps sit. I had switched my rig from wingsuit mode to standard jumping mode but could not find my FF bungee in time for the load. The plan was a sit fly jump 4 way.

I gave the straps a test before getting in the plane and they did indeed slide down my leg ever so slightly, maybe 2 cm. so i pulled my knee up as high as it would go and the leg strap freely came up to my knee with the other still in its place.

Being aware of this i did go on the jump anyway and made damn sure to keep my knees at well more then a 45 degree angle. that said i could still feel them wanting to more around alot more then i would have liked.

As im typing this everything went fine but i've since vowed to not jump without a bungee again. as mentioned its a super cheap way to prevent bad things happening.

My rig was built for me last year, my dimensions have not changed since i got it. Even with leg straps very tight when standing it only takes bringing my leg up and they will slip up to my knees, could easily sit out of the rig.

NWFlyer

I'm starting to see them. A local jumper who tried and tried to get her custom-fit container to where it was comfortable / safe for her when she freeflies finally added a belly band and she's been very happy with it.

I have one I use for the occasional sit-fly and I like it a lot. It's basically just a small strap with a buckle I thread thru the hip rings. :)