brenthutch

MAGA Biden?

I heard an interesting analysis of the Biden administration’s foreign policy the other day, especially as it pertains to China. The person being interviewed said Biden took Trump’s policies, ran them through a grammar check, and implemented them. Tariffs, visa restrictions, investment blocks, export controls, COVID restrictions… all sound strangely Trumpian, yet we see no howling and gnashing of teeth from the left. Now I need a Forest Gump picture with the caption “And just like that, Democrats were fine with Trump’s foreign policy”

(Even his new border policy is a bit Trumpian)

Edited by brenthutch

55 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I heard an interesting analysis of the Biden administration’s foreign policy the other day, especially as it pertains to China. The person being interviewed said Biden took Trump’s policies, ran them through a grammar check, and implemented them. Tariffs, visa restrictions, export controls, COVID restrictions… all sound strangely Trumpian, yet we see no howling and gnashing of teeth from the left. Now I need a Forest Gump picture with the caption “And just like that, Democrats were fine with Trump’s foreign policy”

I heard some guy in the bar talking about all of this and he said that the Biden administration made many changes to foreign policy, especially with regard to China. I guess I need to learn how to make a meme about it now.

47 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

I heard some guy in the bar talking about all of this and he said that the Biden administration made many changes to foreign policy, especially with regard to China. I guess I need to learn how to make a meme about it now.

Not just some guy in a bar…

“Biden has largely maintained Trump’s policies toward China. In some cases, the administration even built on Trump’s signature measures”

https://www.wired.com/story/biden-china-policy-looks-like-trumps/

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

yet we see no howling and gnashing of teeth from the left

This is why you need to stop arguing with that lib living in your head.

Trump's hostility to China was one of the few things I agreed with - they're a threat to the region if not the world, including their support of Russia over Ukraine.

Problem is, Trump only talked tough - as soon as Xi came over he became rather timid and eager to please, kind of like how he was with Putin. Trump's policy was also brain-dead in many cases with massive loopholes. Biden has fixed them.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Then don't you think it's strange the Republicans are still screaming about his "open-border policy"?

4 minutes ago, olofscience said:

...Problem is, Trump only talked tough - as soon as Xi came over he became rather timid and eager to please, kind of like how he was with Putin.

Because trump had Chinese bank accounts for his Chinese business. Which were a part of his undisclosed tax returns. Of course Brent lies about Trump on China’s Xi: ‘We love each other Lies about how trump sold out the Hong Kong protesters.

He omits the love-fest golfing that Xi and trump had. While How Pelosi’s Taiwan Visit Has Set a New Status Quo for U.S-China Tensions Biden and Pelosi put Xi on notice finally.

Typical FOX pundit b.s. to attack Biden's fixing of trump's money making emphasis on foreign policy. When Biden shows a middle of the road approach Senior Biden administration officials, including Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, fielded concerns and tough questions on Thursday from Democratic allies frustrated with a border crackdown the White House  In typical Tea party/FOX fashion. His moderate middle of the road approach is attacked.

19 minutes ago, olofscience said:

This is why you need to stop arguing with that lib living in your head.

Trump's hostility to China was one of the few things I agreed with - they're a threat to the region if not the world, including their support of Russia over Ukraine.

Problem is, Trump only talked tough - as soon as Xi came over he became rather timid and eager to please, kind of like how he was with Putin. Trump's policy was also brain-dead in many cases with massive loopholes. Biden has fixed them.

Then don't you think it's strange the Republicans are still screaming about his "open-border policy"?

20%+ tariffs are a strange way to please China.  With regard to border policy, I am sitting back with my popcorn and watching Biden open up the Trump playbook.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I heard an interesting analysis of the Biden administration’s foreign policy the other day, especially as it pertains to China. The person being interviewed said Biden took Trump’s policies, ran them through a grammar check, and implemented them. Tariffs, visa restrictions, investment blocks, export controls, COVID restrictions… all sound strangely Trumpian, yet we see no howling and gnashing of teeth from the left. Now I need a Forest Gump picture with the caption “And just like that, Democrats were fine with Trump’s foreign policy”

Finally, you're right: Biden is Making America Great Again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Not just some guy in a bar…

“Biden has largely maintained Trump’s policies toward China. In some cases, the administration even built on Trump’s signature measures”

https://www.wired.com/story/biden-china-policy-looks-like-trumps/

I wasn’t sure since you didn’t include any link in OP.

I never had a problem with Trump administration tariffs per se, but by blabbing about them on Twitter ahead of time he set off an immediate wave of speculation that screwed industries that regularly need raw materials. Our metal suppliers wouldn’t guarantee quoted prices for more than 24 hours, which made it difficult to accurately bid future work. And we lost well over 100k on jobs that we had under contract but hadn’t purchased materials for yet. As always, Trump running his fat mouth was the biggest problem.