skylawgirl84

Making Jumpsuit into Shorty

Has anyone had the sleeves cut off of a regular long sleeve jumpsuit to make a shorty suit? I have a liquid sky and am thinking of maybe having a rigger do this. I'm thinking it would be nice and cool for the summer, but during the winter (and in the tunnel too) I could wear sleeves under it. I'm a fairly beginner freeflyer mainly working on sit, dynamic and starting head down in the tunnel. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

Unless your rigger is a seamstress also I'd suggest finding someone who sews clothes, not parachutes. I've tried to cross over and I'm no good at clothes. Mainly because it's tough for me to use anything but e thread.;)

As to plan, that's up to you. Not sure I'd cut the sleeves off my ONLY jumpsuit. Seems that is what you want to do.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

skylawgirl84

Good idea on the seamstress! It is my only jump suit and I hate to spend $600 + on a new one, but I also hate to cut my only one!

Hi

How about repurposing something from goodwill, duct tape, and a little time in the tunnel. Then you can adjust the duct tape untill you got it figured out;)
One Jump Wonder

skylawgirl84

Good idea on the seamstress! It is my only jump suit and I hate to spend $600 + on a new one, but I also hate to cut my only one!

All my skydiving clothing has been taken to the local wedding dress place whenever I gain or lose weight, buy a used suit, or need some repairs. And Im a rigger, but sewing parachutes and clothing items are two different beasts.

Remember, a senior rigger may only have 1 or 2 hours on a sewing machine. Just enough to learn how to sew a square patch on swatches of material on someone else's sewing machine.

And I agree. You don't cut up your only jumpsuit because your hot.:S A short sleeved jumpsuit is called a t-shirt.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Do you think just shortening the sleeves is going to make that much of a difference in your core body temperature? I jump in Florida, so I definitely understand the, "Oh geez, it's so hot!" aspect.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm training to be a rigger but I'm proficient with a sewing machine. I've made jumpsuits and used e thread. Made the bag, bridle and PC I'm using now, and also several removable sliders. Stretchy fabrics suck to sew, but other than that no big deal. Depending on how loose your sleeves are, consider installing a snap or something similar so you can roll them in, and snap them in place. Basically a little tape and button coming from in the sleeve, around the rolled in section,and back to the exterior of the sleeve and a snap, just above the elbow. That way when you hate having no sleeves, you didn't just ruin your jumpsuit.
How often do you jump in shorts and t-shirt? My wife thought she wanted a shorty, and then hated it. So maybe borrow someone's, or something before you tell someone to cut up your suit.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Yeah and we live in Naples... Middle of the Everglades. We both thought the same thing, but she didn't like it. In fact her preferred attire for free flying has become yoga pants and semi tight long sleeve t shirt. I never said she wasn't crazy. Maybe I could get her to describe what she didn't like but I have a feeling it won't make much objective sense. I think it's just preference. I do seem to see very few people in shorties though... Hmmm
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

I know a couple of tunnel guys have short sleeve jumpsuits that they wear at the DZ also. Maybe I'll try that with an old jumpsuit.

Naples? Our daughter and son-in-law live in Ft. Myers. We were just down visiting and swung thru your town for the wonderful beaches there. Nice neighborhood ya got.B|

skylawgirl84

I think it would at least help some! :)

Are you sure you aren't doing it because you see all the skinny little freeflyers doing it these days? Seriously. You are correct when you say that you can just wear long sleeves under your suit in the winter; that's what every one of the skinny freefly girls do here in AZ.

If you are intent on cutting your current suit down just take it to your local seamstress.. But, FWIW: every one of the riggers here where I work has the skill set to cut down/ modify a jumpsuit. My grandmother taught me how to sew when I was 12!

All the job you are talking about entails is cutting, building, and installing new cuffs. Very, very simple stuff.

Chuck

SkymonkeyONE

FWIW: every one of the riggers here where I work has the skill set to cut down/ modify a jumpsuit.

I think it's a localized problem. Where I am there are no riggers willing to work on jumpsuits. "I only sew parachutes, not clothes".
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka