xlh883

What have I done? What to do, what to do?

After 7 years without jumping due to financial reasons I am returning to the sport as a new jump pilot. Fortunately, or unfortunately I still have my rig which will need some maintenance.

The big question is, will I jump again? I am 42 and have gotten hurt once already but jumped after the injury was healed, so that ain't the issue here.

I am already feeling the desire to go jump having pent only a few hours at the drop zone talking to the owners and pilots about working there part-time. I am hired, just have to pass the checkout and training.

So, can you all take me back? :) This is going to cost me money and BEER probably! LOL

So, what have I done???? ;)

David

What have you done? Gone back to being awesome of course!

Stop paying all your bills, move to a crappy trailer on the dz. Spend all your money on jump tickets and beer. Enjoy life. Welcome back!
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

One step at a time.
Devote the first month or two to learning the basics of flying jump-planes.
Then ask the local rigger to inspect and update your gear.
Then sit through the first jump course.
Maybe borrow student gear for your first few jumps back.
Do a few jumps with a coach ....
but remember that flying pays better than jumping in the long run.

riggerrob

One step at a time.
Devote the first month or two to learning the basics of flying jump-planes.
Then ask the local rigger to inspect and update your gear.
Then sit through the first jump course.
Maybe borrow student gear for your first few jumps back.
Do a few jumps with a coach ....
but remember that flying pays better than jumping in the long run.

Great advice! Them giving me money instead of me giving them is always better.

David

xlh883

the dropzone is only Saturday and Sunday and it is a "family" drop zone. no trailers or beer, so far.

David

"No beer"? Well the "what to do" part is easy... find a different DZ! One that has a beer fridge. :P

Welcome back. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Welcome back. I too have re-entered the sport after a reallllly long hiatus. Some advice from an old fart (worth what you pay for it).

Avoid skygods at all cost--they will fuck you up and make you sorry you ever came back.

Recognize that the kids are not going to see you as a veteran skydiver--they'll see you as an early alzheimers victim and not to be trusted.

Enjoy jumping solo. I don't give a rat's ass if anybody wants to jump with me or not--I just like what I like.

Buy the absolute best gear you can afford if your old gear just won't cut it. Using any canopy older than 15-20 years is just playing russian roulette. (That statement is sure to cause a riot on here, I know).

Stake out your winter and summer DZ hangouts. For me it's Zhills and CSC near Chicago (so far) but there are lots of choices.

Take all the good advice and help you can get from the non-skygod skydivers. Get trained again--it isn't like riding a bike--some things you do forget.

Above all--have fun. Nice to see you back. It takes balls.

katzas

Avoid skygods at all cost--they will fuck you up and make you sorry you ever came back.

Take all the good advice and help you can get from the non-skygod skydivers.

Not to hijack the thread but how does a newbie identify said Skygods? What is their common trait?

love2drop

Take all the good advice and help you can get from the non-skygod skydivers.

Not to hijack the thread but how does a newbie identify said Skygods? What is their common trait?

Attitude.

They know everything, and won't listen to anything.
They are the first to tell you what you are doing wrong, but the last to answer any questions.
They are the ones who grab a beer when it's free, but then just disappear.

You don't have to worry a whole lot about them, because they generally just ignore the newer jumpers.

Fortunately, they are a small minority. Most jumpers are welcoming, helpful and friendly.
Ask questions, listen to the answers, pay attention and learn.

Although, it seems that the ones who complain the most about the "SkyGod Attitude" are the ones who don't listen when they get answers that they don't like. The ones who already know it all because they got a letter from someone important. The sort of "Junior SkyGods."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

When retraining, remember that not only have you forgotten some things, but some things may have changed. For example, the horizontal flight issue is making air space management more complex than just a few years ago.

Welcome back.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

they also tend to be the ones who are not as good as they think they are - if something goes wrong on a jump its always something someone else did.

I have jumped with world class divers who are truly great and been made to feel welcome on their dives.

when my ex and I split up I roamed around the west coast states states jumping at small - large dz'z depending on my mood that weekend and I ran into all types and having a thick skin served me well :)
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

JohnMitchell

They know everything, and won't listen to anything.

I sure have done first aid on a lot of those people. [:/]

Do they listen when you tell them to wait quietly for the ambulance?

they also tend to be the ones who are not as good as they think they are - if something goes wrong on a jump its always something someone else did.

That can be applied to most of in most situations. One good quote “Knowledge is power. A smart man takes every opportunity to gain more.”

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So, I sent the Cypres in yesterday for 4/8-year service and express renewed with USPA. Looking to possibly get a currency jump or two or three in this weekend around the flying schedule.

I am getting nervous about jumping again but I feel its time. I am at the point where I either need to go back to the sport or give it up entirely and quit thinking about it. I choose to go back. Still learning the jump pilot thing but I can handle that and jumping again. Probably will take the whole season to learn to be a good jump pilot anyway.

Blue skies! (been awhile since I have said that)

David

express renewed with USPA

It is worth checking with your DZ if they will accept an email notice that your USPA renewal payment was submitted/processed as proof without paying extra. Many DZs will accept it. Whether it is wise for them to do it is a different question, but many do. I got my new card about a week ago after only 2 weeks.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am