freeflyfree

Is it painful to impact?

Been in a car accident, or any other form of high adrenaline accident? At the DZ you see this often, where the person would get injured, but doesn't feel the pain till much later. Now triple that adrenaline from pure ground rush, gear failure etc....
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

the seconds before the impact are like minutes afterwards it realy slows down somehow, when i had my impact the first impression wasnt pain but getting back air into my loungs to breath.

then my first thought was hej not that bad im alive lets stand up, uh ok that wont work i cant walk anymore seems like there is some stuff broken, the pain started some minutes after and increased till i got some morphine ;) bet i was highter than the helicopter i was sitting in.

So, I'm lying on a concrete runway with a shattered left foot, shattered left elbow, pelvis broken in 6 places, broken right arm and my face cut-up to the point where you could see my skull through the area where my nose should be. The first aider who was looking after me until the ambulance arrived (which took 50 minutes) asked me if I knew where I was and what had happened to me.
I was a bit dazed, but my response was that I thought I knew what had happened, but that it didn't make sense because I wasn't in any real pain. The first aider's response was to say "don't worry, it'll hurt later". He wasn't wong!

I was given a bit of entonox when the ambulance eventually arrived, but I still wasn't in any real pain at that point. It's amazing how the human body can switch off the pain in this way and deal with keeping the vital functions going.

I hit under canopy, so I don`t know if it counts (crossfire WL 1.6+, 45mph).
Last thing I remember was: "Shit, I`m gonna hit!" And remember stabbing brakes hard.
After that, it all went black as if someone turned off the lights. Darkness, silence, no pain, no nothing.

That day somebody up there decided it wasn`t my time to go. :)
I got through with just concussion and minor knee damage.
Soooooo lucky...

dudeist skydiver #42

About a thousand years ago before the Internet, there was a story in Reader's Digest of a guy in (Ohio?) who went in with nothing. Landed in a Doctor's yard. And, lived. He said, "It was like walking into a dark room and being hit with pillows." It was the year of living in the hospital and rehab that was painful. The day he got out of the hospital, he drove past his DZ, stopped, turned around, drove in and made a jump.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

No shit there I was... still pretty young, riding too fast down on a busy street in traffic on the way back from lunch. Slight bend in the road and then BAM a car pulls out right in front me. Only a microsecond to react and I slip between it and the curb. I tried to trail brake into the turn but there wasn't any room... my rear wheel barely touched the curb and I was launched like I was sitting in a trebuchet through the air at 30-40mph.

I was airborne for so long I distinctly remember hearing my motorcycle scraping down the road as I waited for impact. I tumbled for what felt like forever once I hit the ground and when I stopped I literally jumped up, ripped off my helmet, and I had to look for my bike it was so far away from me... it was toast. Adrenaline can be a powerful thing. Wearing the proper gear saved me for sure. My boots, gloves, helmet, and clothes were completely destroyed. Paramedics checked me out but being young I refused to go to the hospital until the next day (dumb).

Words can't describe how sore I was the next few days (week). It was like someone had wrung me out like a wet towel. But right after the accident, nothing but my heart pounding in my ears, for a while at least.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

mattjw916

Words can't describe how sore I was the next few days (week). It was like someone had wrung me out like a wet towel. But right after the accident, nothing but my heart pounding in my ears, for a while at least.

I was hit by a car as a pedestrian, walking to lunch from work, so I lacked any kind of protective gear; was just wearing a skirt, t-shirt, and sandals. As others have said, time kind of slows down and gets really surreal. I knew I was about to get hit, then I was hit, and I have a distinct memory of being thrown through the air and seeing the tree along the sidewalk from a very odd perspective. That's what my brain keyed in on. :D

Like you, at first it was pure adrenaline/heart pounding, and I tried to get up despite a bum leg. As for pain, it came along not too long after and lasted for a few weeks in my case. Serious injuries were relatively minor - deep puncture wound that actually hurt very little because all of the surface nerves were damaged), a bunch of contusions and road rash (which, as anyone who's had it knows THAT hurts like a mofo), and a torn labrum in my shoulder that eventually needed to be repaired. But the full body bashing just HURTS for a long long time. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I impacted pretty hard. Hurt everywhere on my left side, hard to breath or get air into my lungs. I was conscious of everything through the entire incident and afterward. Laying in the field hearing people come for me was comforting.

I recommend against it.

Jump more, post less!

Don't try this at home!!;):D:D

But I had a serious accident in which I impacted the Earth and ended up with a broken back,Flail chested.head and facial fractures and 1 giant bruise as in my whole body.

Just seconds before impact I thought to myself "This is gonna hurt like hell" Well right after the impact I didn't feel a thing....almost numb except me try to get air into my lungs...that was very uncomfortable.

While awaiting transport is when the pain started and continued to get worse until the first shot of Morphine.

The hospital stay and rehab is were the pain comes in I think[:/]

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Back in the 70's, early 80's, I rode a streamer in (CRW gone bad) and lived to talk about it. The only part that was painful was the doctor bills.

Seriously, I would not describe it as painful. more like... unpleasant? I felt (and heard) the bones break and knew I was hurt bad. But, I was able to stay consious and I was the one keeping people at the scene calm. Some people do not react well to broken bodies?B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I was at the farmers market in La back in 2001 and wanted a redbull but they didn't have it so I had to run across 3rd street to the liquor store to get one.
As I was about to cross 3rd a girl from behind me said 'hey cutie' and all I remember is turning my head but my body kept walking forward :S and stepped in the street.
Next thing I remember is hearing voices all around me thinking I was still in bed waking up from a nice rest the night before not remembering anything that had happened till I opened my eyes and saw I was in a hospital bed. I freaked out but could not move, two nurses were holding me down because I had a broken leg and collar bone and a really bad concussion.
I guess I stepped out into traffic got hit by a Jag going 40 and flew 20 feet and had a seizure and was knocked out for two days. B|
Over all not too bad but "TG for morphine'.
hahah I feel mostly bad for the woman who saw everything go down.

I crashed pretty hard over memorial day weekend 2011. Broke my back (L1, L2, L5) and tibia fracture, and knew it was going to be a hard landing and prepared for it for the 1-2 seconds I had to react. I PLF'd for all I was worth but I still bounced pretty good. I heard the back break, felt it "pop" and once I stopped flopping around like a rag doll, had no sensation of pain, except when I tried to get up -- that wasn't happening. I did a system check to make sure all the extremities were operating and waited for the ambulance to arrive. Friends got me out of the rig, but the jump suit was cut off. The most painful part of the aftermath was the back board. That shit is uncomfortable. But all was right once I got my first dose of morphine. 6 days in the hospital, Six week in bed and I was not as good as new. But I am back jumping.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

I'm liking the different stories everyone has to tell... Here's mine;

I was "blown up" six times in Baghdad by IED's. The closest one was less than three feet away from my truck and shrapnel pierced both the steel plate armor and the compressed aluminum door which stood between me and the device. The force of that blast was so great that it moved my 5-ton truck to the other side of the dirt road.

ANYWAY, I remember each time my truck hit an IED. It hurts, ALOT! It's hard to explain, but the enormous amount of energy that is released by a well made IED instantly passes through every cell in your body, and its like you can actually feel that happening. It's very strange

Then, of course, all the drugs and training kick in. God willing, you hear every voice in your truck shout out "I'm good" for a few seconds.