2 2
JoeWeber

Speaking of speakers in a corner

27 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Well, let's see how well you get it and if the Democrats do what you proposed. Unless they all also don't get it.

You're missing the point. It's no coups de grâce any more than if 6 moderate R's joined the D's in voting for Jeffries. In either case the smart money would likely bet for a quick unwinding. The best that could be hoped for is taking a half step from them going into 2024 by creating even more dissension in their ranks. In the big scheme of things that would be a huge win, I'm thinking.

10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You're missing the point. It's no coups de grâce any more than if 6 moderate R's joined the D's in voting for Jeffries. In either case the smart money would likely bet for a quick unwinding. The best that could be hoped for is taking a half step from them going into 2024 by creating even more dissension in their ranks. In the big scheme of things that would be a huge win, I'm thinking.

Overall it would be a good idea. But is not letting the GOP f*&k itself like its doing now better?

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

This suggestion might be worth a shot:

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 09.31.34.png

Yeahbut the speaker is supposed to work with the leader to poll members, select committee members and steer the agenda.

Nah, who needs a helmsman on the ship of fools.

12 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The best that could be hoped for is taking a half step from them going into 2024 by creating even more dissension in their ranks. In the big scheme of things that would be a huge win, I'm thinking.

Sure it would. Just saying your proposal wouldn't yield that result.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

OK OK already. I'll be the Speaker. 

Only if you can get 218 votes. You have as much chance as most of them it seems. The R party rep team is putting on quite a show. Is it wrong for me to enjoy it? The best part is that sooner or later someone will be speaker. But they won't be allowed to do the job.

Edited by gowlerk

52 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

... But they won't be allowed to do the job.

The gang of twenty will make every single job a shit show. "The Republicans who voted against the bid by Representative Kevin McCarthy of California for House speaker include some of the chamber’s most hard-right lawmakers. Most denied the 2020 election, are members of the ultraconservative Freedom Caucus, or both. Here’s a closer look at the 20 lawmakers."

They will burn the house down before they compromise. In other words govern in the best tradition of the GOP.

6 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

They will burn the house down before they compromise. In other words govern in the best tradition of the GOP.

Funny how it’s illustrated the limit of Trump’s power as well. These 20 are the hardcore MAGA Trumpists and they invoke his name at every step of their election campaigns and vision for the party. Some of them had called for Trump to tell McCarthy to step down, seemingly suggesting that he’d have to listen.

Then Trump did intervene telling them to vote for McCarthy and saying he’ll do a great job… and they completely ignored him.

4 hours ago, jakee said:

Funny how it’s illustrated the limit of Trump’s power as well. These 20 are the hardcore MAGA Trumpists and they invoke his name at every step of their election campaigns and vision for the party. Some of them had called for Trump to tell McCarthy to step down, seemingly suggesting that he’d have to listen.

Then Trump did intervene telling them to vote for McCarthy and saying he’ll do a great job… and they completely ignored him.

It’s actually quite a good illustration of the current state of our politics in general. Lots of fragmented groups that don’t think they’re getting the listening, respect, or influence that they should, and being willing to stop everything from moving until they do. 
It’s always been a thing — it’s enshrined in the Constitution as the filibuster. But every tool, when overused, becomes a blunt weapon

Wendy P. 

Just now, BIGUN said:

Deal. Perhaps we can open that 1945 bottle of Gruaud Larose to celebrate.  

I never celebrate with aged wine even when I trust the cellaring; it can too much of a crap shoot. Along those lines, as Chair, I would immediately introduce a bill calling for the brutal whipping of anyone who: 1. Has knowingly allowed, caused, was party to, or lived nearby anyone who has improperly cellared good wine. 2. Rode on a motorcycle while rapping the exhaust when within 100 meters of a vineyard during harvest.

36 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

It’s always been a thing — it’s enshrined in the Constitution as the filibuster. But every tool, when overused, becomes a blunt weapon

Wendy P. 

The filibuster is not part of the US Constitution, only becoming  possible with a change of Senate rules  in 1806 and not used until 1837

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I would immediately introduce a bill calling for the brutal whipping of anyone who: 1. Has knowingly allowed, caused, was party to, or lived nearby anyone who has improperly cellared good wine. 

I have an old friend of mine who has a temperature controlled cellar and a program that runs on a server and sends him emails telling him which bottle to open to hit ideal maturity.

We have a closet under the stairs that Amy goes into periodically and says "2015?  We should probably drink that one."  (Mostly beer, but the wine lives there too.)

So we'd be fugitives from justice there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billvon said:

I have an old friend of mine who has a temperature controlled cellar and a program that runs on a server and sends him emails telling him which bottle to open to hit ideal maturity.

We have a closet under the stairs that Amy goes into periodically and says "2015?  We should probably drink that one."  (Mostly beer, but the wine lives there too.)

So we'd be fugitives from justice there.

You-all are just not as elitist as Joe. Perhaps if you got a fleet of Blackhawk turbine A/C aka money makin machines.You would become elitist...ah!...likely not.

My vintage 2017 as per my sommelier's recommendation based upon my budget;spacer.png

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I never celebrate with aged wine even when I trust the cellaring; it can too much of a crap shoot. Along those lines, as Chair, I would immediately introduce a bill calling for the brutal whipping of anyone who: 1. Has knowingly allowed, caused, was party to, or lived nearby anyone who has improperly cellared good wine. 2. Rode on a motorcycle while rapping the exhaust when within 100 meters of a vineyard during harvest.

Good thing you’re not pretentious enough to drink champagne, who knows what the penalties for mishandling that would be?

The first thing I built in our new house 7 years ago. Note that this is New England cellar, so it never gets significantly different from around 60F (about 15C). Not absolutely perfect, but way better than Houston, which got to 78F in the bottom of the kitchen pantry regularly...

Wendy P.

43201DEF-5A43-420B-9F3A-5C9DF0DFEE7A.jpeg