2 2
JoeWeber

Speaking of speakers in a corner

46 minutes ago, billvon said:

I have an old friend of mine who has a temperature controlled cellar and a program that runs on a server and sends him emails telling him which bottle to open to hit ideal maturity.

We have a closet under the stairs that Amy goes into periodically and says "2015?  We should probably drink that one."  (Mostly beer, but the wine lives there too.)

So we'd be fugitives from justice there.

I have an open box of Chilean cab sauv. It's yummy enough for me. And the bag keeps it from the air so it doesn't age.

9 hours ago, wmw999 said:

It’s actually quite a good illustration of the current state of our politics in general. Lots of fragmented groups that don’t think they’re getting the listening, respect, or influence that they should, and being willing to stop everything from moving until they do. 
It’s always been a thing — it’s enshrined in the Constitution as the filibuster. But every tool, when overused, becomes a blunt weapon

Wendy P. 

The minority being able to stop the majority from trampling their rights is enshrined in the Constitution (the Senate is an example, the need for super majorities for some things is another).

But this isn't that.

It's a bunch of spoiled, immature brats who want to screw everything up so that they can say "See? It doesn't work!!!" 

Maybe someone should remind them that they can't start 'investigating' things (you know, Hunter Biden, Hilary's E-mails, that sort of thing) until Congress is seated and committees are assigned.

Which can't happen until a Speaker is picked.

20 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The minority being able to stop the majority from trampling their rights is enshrined in the Constitution (the Senate is an example, the need for super majorities for some things is another).

But this isn't that.

It's a bunch of spoiled, immature brats who want to screw everything up so that they can say "See? It doesn't work!!!" 

Maybe someone should remind them that they can't start 'investigating' things (you know, Hunter Biden, Hilary's E-mails, that sort of thing) until Congress is seated and committees are assigned.

Which can't happen until a Speaker is picked.

It reminds me of seeing poor people buying scratch off lottery tickets.

Same type of repetitive motion, same result.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It is going to take some kind of deal with the other side to bring it to an end. The good news is that it could go on for many weeks, possibly months before the house needs to do anything important.

The sane members of the GOP should make a deal with the Democrats to elect Liz Cheney. Regardless of her policies, they could be assured she would leave the 20 wackjobs hanging out to dry.

• Like 1

(edited)
4 minutes ago, ryoder said:

The sane members of the GOP should make a deal with the Democrats to elect Liz Cheney. Regardless of her policies, they could be assured she would leave the 20 wackjobs hanging out to dry.

In order to do a deal there has to be something in it for both sides. I have no idea what that could be, but it could be good for the country. Edit....There is a real possibility of a move toward the centre coming out of this debacle.

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
34 minutes ago, ryoder said:

That would be funny.  I wonder what the position pays, if you are not a member of the house.

Edited by headoverheels

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

In order to do a deal there has to be something in it for both sides. I have no idea what that could be, but it could be good for the country. 

I would expect all the Dems and a lot of the GOP (who won't admit it publicly) would love to see the wackjobs frozen out of all the committees.

This is like the republican version of the Fyre Festival.  The republicans showed up, excited and bright-eyed for their conservative rave of impeachment, investigating investigators and banning gay marriage - then realized that not only was there not going to be a party, there wasn't even going to be a swearing-in for a good long time.  And this time it's not some evil democrats, it's their very own party leaders.  Reality is just sinking in now, and they are starting to turn on each other.

None other than Marjorie Taylor Greene (or Marjorie Green?  not sure any more) is now attacking Lauren Boebert for creating "nothing but drama;" she claims what Boebert is doing is "not serious" and "not leadership."

And the illustrious Matt Gaetz is attacking McCarthy directly, calling him "Cavin' McCarthy" who is an illegal "squatter."  After hearing that, former RNC head Michael Steele said "everybody knows a punk when they see one" (referring to McCarthy, not Gaetz.)  He then addressed McCarthy: "No, you ain't got nothing, you hold nothing. You've got nothing, right?"

Pass the popcorn.

mccarthy.jpg

8 hours ago, billvon said:

This is like the republican version of the Fyre Festival.  ...

Pass the popcorn.

Yes and beyond that democrats will likely be eating popcorn for two more years. Those 20 republicans are not all of a sudden going to see the light.

It is good for the country to have a serious, policy driven, conservative political partly.

By welcoming crazies, liars, cheats and con-artists, the GOP has shown very clearly over the past several years that is is not capable of being that party.

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, kallend said:

It is good for the country to have a serious, policy driven, conservative political partly.

By welcoming crazies, liars, cheats and con-artists, the GOP has shown very clearly over the past several years that is is not capable of being that party.

I don't necessarily disagree, it's just interesting coming from you given that in Illinois alone there have been 10 Democrat State reps/Senators  that have been convicted of racketeering, bribery, fraud, extortion and/or tax evasion in the last 10 years, and some are even still in office.

It'd be interesting to see the numbers, but from my experience it would seem that on a local level democrats are by far more corrupt.  But I grew up in Detroit so there's a little bias there.

Edited by Coreece
  • Like 1

The clown show continues after 13 ballots.

Pretty sad how a small number of crazies  are able to paralyze the people's business to wring concessions.  Anyone would think there had been an actual "red wave" to justify the concessions they want.

4 hours ago, kallend said:

The clown show continues after 13 ballots.

Pretty sad how a small number of crazies  are able to paralyze the people's business to wring concessions.  Anyone would think there had been an actual "red wave" to justify the concessions they want.

They can't do a peaceful transfer of power between themselves, apparently. 

21 hours ago, Coreece said:

I don't necessarily disagree, it's just interesting coming from you given that in Illinois alone there have been 10 Democrat State reps/Senators  that have been convicted of racketeering, bribery, fraud, extortion and/or tax evasion in the last 10 years, and some are even still in office.

It'd be interesting to see the numbers, but from my experience it would seem that on a local level democrats are by far more corrupt.  But I grew up in Detroit so there's a little bias there.

It's best to ignore facts so the one-sided illusion can continue. It's like a spotlight that only allows light to exit from half the lense.