prescription_surgeon

Advice on container

Hi, 

I've ordered a complete setup and the rigger suggested a main bigger than the manufacture says will fit.

I'm not sure how to approach this as I am the least experienced.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated as I don't want to be struggling to pack my main every time, thanks guys  

1 hour ago, prescription_surgeon said:

I've ordered a complete setup and the rigger suggested a main bigger than the manufacture says will fit.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated as I don't want to be struggling to pack my main every time, thanks guys 

Have this discussion with your rigger?

2 hours ago, prescription_surgeon said:

Hi, 

Hi surgeon,

In a word:  Don't

Somebody is giving you very poor advice.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

16 hours ago, prescription_surgeon said:

Rigging department supervisor for manufacture says it won't fit.

I agree with Jerry. If the Manufacturer's Rigger says it won't fit, then don't do it. The Manufacturer has the final say on what goes in their rigs. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2023 at 5:36 PM, prescription_surgeon said:

Hi, 

As much as I would like to agree with Jerry and BIGUN, the reality is sometimes manufacturer's rigger gets it wrong. 

For example, the manufacturer is located in a place where the humidity is very low. Low humidity could drastically increase the packing volume. You are jumping in very high humidity. Or, the manufacturer doesn't have hands on experience with certain model/size canopy and their advice is based on "we guess" rather than "we know for sure". And yes, this have happened to me on several occasions with different manufacturers.

If I were you, I'd listen to your dealer. That's the person you've chosen to spend your money with and he/or she will be dealing with you if you end up not being happy at the end. With other words, your dealer is more interested in you being happy than the manufacturer. For that manufacturer, you are just a name on a .pdf file.

Now I'm curious what rig/canopy combo you are interested in?!

Backing Jerry Baumchen.

Follow the container manufacturers' advice.

At Rigging Innovations, I was the rigger test-packing all the newly-arrived canopies and deciding which combinations we could recommend.

Meanwhile, Sandy Reid was on the far side of the room stuffing newly-arrived canopies into a PIA volume measuring cylinder. We were in the dry desert of Southern California.

The manufacturers that I disagreed with were base din humid Florida where everything pack sone size smaller. What passes for a comfortable fit in Florida is almost a struggle in the dry heat of the Southern California desert.

• Like 2

Sounds like a rigger who is trying to plan for the future with the container with a canopy suited to you needs now.

While a good concept, however if the manufacturer says it wont fit, they know better.     Even if it did miraculously squeeze in it will look like crap and cause problems for many riggers. Overstuffed containers never look good.

Whats the benefit ? A marginally smaller container which causes a whole host of issues for riggers designed for what you may downsize in the future.   This may not even happen as the reality is that life causes many to leave the sport before this happens.

Listen to the manufacturer….  

Even if you continue to consider this, it means that you will definitely not be learning to pack, because there's no way you'll be able to pack it yourself. It means that the packers will hate you as well, so that your rig will be one of the last packed.

All in all, it's not a great idea unless your rigger personally has done that specific combination (preferably with those specific canopies), and promises to pack it for you when you jump. Since that's not rational or realistic, they're all right, it's not a great idea.

It's just fine to get a beater rig to learn to jump with, and when you're ready to downsize, then you get the hot new one.

Wendy P.

• Like 3

I've seen stories of the reverse. Skydiver calls up the manufacturer and asks if it will fit. The answer is always yes. It gets here to the local dealer and he struggles to get it packed. It looks like shit. He disinharits the rig. Refuses to ever pack it again. Now the guy is shopping around for another rigger after the first master rigger declared it an unairworthy combination. This wasn't a one time thing, I'm looking at you Wings! So we had all these guys down sizing to smaller reserves that were really too small for them.

I did crew for a long time. We stuffed some really big canopies into some main trays. You can get away with a lot... But. Maybe you permanently stretch out the container. Damage the riser covers. Have less then secure bridle routing. Damage the main flap. Have pilot chute in tow issues. I could go on. You can do a lot of shit. Why make your self miserable? As some one who has packed some egregiously tight rigs I can tell you that this can be done, and that you'll regret it.

Lee

(edited)

It may depend on the specific manufacturer of the container and canopy. Two canopies of the same size from two different manufacturers may have two different pack volumes. If the container manual says "up to 130" without specifying an example manufacturer or pack volume it may turn out that a slightly larger canopy will also fit. That's why you shoud specify which container and which canopy you are referring to.

Edited by Hectane