Coat.

Getting back into it..?

Hi.

I had recently stopped jumping after my AFF 6 jump (8 months ago) as the jump scared me because it was an unlinked exit, I had a bad arch and leg problems, subsequently leading for me to redo it. I have talked to one of my instructors lately and told me that it might be a good idea to go back and do AFF 5 again, whilst another instructor told me I should just get back into it. Personally, I don't think I feel 100% to get back up there and do stage 6 again. Even if I do go back and do stage 5, I still think since it's been 8 months, I wouldn't be used to it all and thus, perhaps leading to have to redo stage 5.

I am considering doing tunnel training to really work on my body position during FF - as I always seemed to have problems with my legs being blown about, causing myself to backslide, and essentially de-arch. After doing tunnel training, I was then thinking of going and doing stage 5 again. This would be costly, but I know it would be worth it. Also, ever since my last jump, I started to get negavitve thoughts about a malfunction. These thoughts become almost obsessive. I had tried going back to jump again the week after it, but would wake up dredding to do the jump and feeling incredibly nervous. I was never this nervous before. I worry that I would panic in an event of a malfunction and kill myself. I worry that I would not pull the handles at the right time. I worry on how my family would cope if I did happen to die. I want to get back up there but I feel as I just can't. It's killing me because I really admire and enjoy the sport. I don't know what to do anymore...

I was thinking of just heading out to the DZ and hanging around but I would feel as if I was a burden and all.

Your tunnel time should help your freefall, and minute for minute, it's faster and cheaper than working on those issues during an actual skydive.

As far as where to pick back up, expect a review on the ground of emergency procedures and normal procedures for canopy flight and skydiving in general. I would believe most DZs would send you out with two but some DZs would send you with one instructor, probably at a lower level to help knock the cobwebs off.

At your experience level, taking 8 months off is a LONG time, so expect to go over just about everything and to start your skydives at a lower level. The instructors aren't bringing you down a level or two for the money, they want to make sure you're safe.

All of that being said, don't let your nerves get to you. If you're freaking out a little because of the emergency procedures, ask to do a working tandem to come back. That way you have a little help strapped to your back in the unlikely event that something should happen.

Many of us have gone hundreds (and a few have gone thousands) of jumps with no major malfunctions. While the possibility is there every time you get on the plane, proper planning and maintenance of the equipment will go far in keeping you safe.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Do some tunnel and work on your arch and leg awareness, go hang out at the DZ, make some friends, drink some beers, and schedule your next level.

Spend less time dwelling on what probably won't happen (mals and such) and more time on what you want to happen, which is finish AFF and get licensed I presume.

Hell, I still don't have a cutaway after 10ish years of jumping off and on... practice your EP's, get some hanging harness in, and don't stress over it. ;)

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Tunnel time would be great, and review and practice your emergency procedures until they're are reflexive. No one likes a malfunction, but the big surprise is how easy they are to handle if you've been properly trained. It's tough being a student. Try to spend your spare time visualizing the jump going perfectly. That's what World Champions do in our sport. :)

I was thinking of just heading out to the DZ and hanging around but I would feel as if I was a burden and all.

Any instructor worth his salt would be more than happy to sit and talk with you about your situation. You may need to wait until the jumping is done to get their full attention. There is tons you can learn just hanging around on the ground at the DZ.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

No need to double post. People will eventually get around to answering you in the beginner forum where you posted almost the exact same thing.

Kinda makes you seem like you need your hand held.

My advice to you is to stop over thinking it. Either go out and do it or don't.

Running every negative scenario through your head won't help anything.

Trafficdiver

No need to double post. People will eventually get around to answering you in the beginner forum where you posted almost the exact same thing.

Kinda makes you seem like you need your hand held.

My advice to you is to stop over thinking it. Either go out and do it or don't.

Running every negative scenario through your head won't help anything.

Sorry about that. I thought after I posted it that it was in the wrong section. Thanks for everyone on the advice. Serious question here; I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't have enough dollars to do tunnel time/coaching and redo the lower levels of AFF. What level would they drop me back on? Would they drop me back to a level with two JM's or would they only drop me back one level?

My concerns are that when I do go back to jump, that I'd be overwhelmed at exit. Do you think the DZ would just let me do a jump without any tasks (docking, turns, flios etc.) with just one JM?

You should probably talk to your dropzone instructors about how far back you'd need to go with your AFF training. First and foremost they're looking out for your safety.

The tunnel is a great tool for training. Several people told me I should hit it after my AFF level 2 jump because I was so unstable. I did 6 minutes then and noticed a big difference in my flying. I did another tunnel session before getting through AFF and another couple more during coaching. It really does wonders for your confidence and skill. It doesn't take a huge block of time to help, either. You can do 5 or 10 minutes whenever you can afford it and it'll make a difference.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?