1 1
Phil1111

Andrew Tate, Republican and trump Supporter

8 minutes ago, billvon said:

Great! I agree.  And there's a super easy way to move forward.  If republicans start promoting and running non-insane candidates, the strategy doesn't work, and it ends.

The only way out of the current mess that does not involve some sort of revolution is actually simple. More of the middle of the road people voting in primaries. The system is not broken it is merely not being used.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billvon said:

?? They've already done that.  None other than Rush Limbaugh has publicly called for support of democratic candidates he thought were weak, to try to ensure that republicans would win.

Absolutely true.  But the US was in a Donald Trump-sized hole - one so deep that we almost lost our government to an insurrection.  Bravo to the people trying to dig us out of that.

Hi Bill,

Just like in 1972 when CREEP decided that Sen. Geo. McGovern was the weakest D candidate when compared to Nixon.

Nothing new here, folks; move along.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

The only way out of the current mess that does not involve some sort of revolution is actually simple. More of the middle of the road people voting in primaries. The system is not broken it is merely not being used.

Hi Ken,

That is one way.  I argue that the best way is to eliminate all political parties.  For every office at every level, a person would run on what they stand for & who they are.

I would settle for ranked choice voting since my argument is merely 'pie in the sky.'

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

That's more of an argument for why this is a bad idea - by trying to use the same tactics that go us into this mess to get us out.  

Errr, no. It's not. Democrat tactics didn't get those people elected, the Republican base in hardcore Republican areas did. I think at this point you're intentionally misunderstanding what's being said.

And if we go back to the comparison of this being like a political poker game, even degenerate gamblers would consider it a form of cheating.

Good thing it's not a poker game then.

Kind of sounds like entrapment.

It's not that either. 

And if the Reps could do it all on their own, then it would seem like a gross misuse of democrat donations.

Again, I can't help but feel you're wilfully misunderstanding things. Those people won primaries in hardcore Republican districts, then went on to win their elections. Thus the Republican party as a whole doesn't see much downside in supporting the nominations of crazy people. The Dems are trying to help get crazy people nominated in swing districts where they're more likely to lose the main election than moderates. If a whole bunch of them are nominated and lose all in one go, the Republican party might shy away from supporting crazy people in general.

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

And if we go back to the comparison of this being like a political poker game, even degenerate gamblers would consider it a form of cheating.

It is not cheating. A related strategy of running a third party candidate for no other reason than to split the vote is considered cheating. In poker this occurs when two different players are aligned without any other players knowing. That is not what is happening here.

3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

That is one way.  I argue that the best way is to eliminate all political parties.  For every office at every level, a person would run on what they stand for & who they are.

I would settle for ranked choice voting since my argument is merely 'pie in the sky.'

Jerry Baumchen

The universal adoption of ranked-choice voting would enable the viability of candidates outside the two entrenched parties, thus weakening their duopoly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ryoder said:

The universal adoption of ranked-choice voting would enable the viability of candidates outside the two entrenched parties, thus weakening their duopoly.

There are a number of potential reforms that could help. None of them easy to enact. And since yours is nearly impossible to imagine the entrenched parties agreeing to I will stick to increased participation. It requires nothing more than the people deciding to act. The system is not unfair. It rewards the people who care enough to make an effort.

9 hours ago, kallend said:

But Walker isn't in the "batshit crazy" category like MTG or Gaetz, or a pathological liar like Santos.  He is just a guy who's suffered too many blows to the head.

And they supported him wholeheartedly...

While pretending Biden is suffering from dementia.

• Like 1