Zenglendo

What's up with Bonfires?

Question

First off, I'm new to the sport.  Second I live in the Mountain west.  Bonfires, just aren't something we do, mostly due to the extreme fire hazard around here in the summer.  So I see a lot of references to Bonfires.  Can someone explain that tradition or correlation to me?  In some places is it tradition to have a bonfire after a day of jumping?

3 answers to this question

Traditionally, junior jumpers would buy a case of beer and share it with everyone. Senior jumpers would share "no shit there I was thought I was gonna die" stories as informal education.

Short answer:
Yes, it's a common practice to have a fire, and for jumpers to sit around it, often (not always) drinking 'adult beverages', hanging out, swapping stories (often, but not always about jumping) and socializing.

Longer answer:

One of the coolest things about jumpers and jumping is the overall equality of the sport.
It doesn't matter who you are, what you do for a living, how experienced you are, how old or young. If you have what it takes to gear up, get on the plane and jump out, you're "one of us".
One of the places that becomes most apparent is 'around the bonfire' after jumping is done (another is weather hold shenanigans). 
You might end up sitting next to a 'new guy' who has yet to get through AFF. You might end up sitting next to a world record holder, who has multiple medals from national competition.
The stories shared around the bonfire often start of with "No shit, there I was, thought I was gonna die". Not all are true.

But there are LOADS of lessons that you can learn. Mostly learning what not to do. 

As Rob noted, 'beer dues' are often paid off around the bonfire.
There are actual written 'beer rules'. Primary one is that anytime you accomplish something for the first time, you owe a case of beer. The idea is that you share those beers around the fire, and more experienced jumpers will ask 'what did you do', then share some stories of their 'firsts'.
Beer for the bonfire is also 'paid' in fines for landing area violations. Somewhat of the same concept.

It's a good way to get to know other jumpers around the DZ, people you will be jumping with if you are a regular at that DZ. 
It's a good way for people to get to know you. 

It doesn't matter if you drink or not. Personally, I don't drink anymore.

But I still pay my 'beer fines', hang out around the fire, enjoy the company and stories, share a few of my own, and have a good time. 

• Like 2

Bonfires have been pretty traditional at the DZ's in my neck of the woods. (Southern Ontario)   A bonfire is a place to socialize around. Maybe the hangar or DZ buildings get locked up late at night, and there isn't some well lighted patio at night as one might get at a giant DZ. Maybe it is a chilly spring / fall / even summer evening. Maybe a fire keeps a few bugs away.

So better a bonfire than standing around aimlessly in the dark and cold.

The OP mentioned fire hazard as one reason not to have them. One might also have DZ's at a municipal airport, where they aren't allowed to have open fires.  I have also seen the tradition wither somewhat as a DZ gets bigger, where it goes from 'We're all here for fun, did a few fun jumps, did a few working jumps for the DZ, now we hang out late at night'  to  'A bunch of staff are full time at least in summer and are doing this 5 days a week and have just done 10+ working jumps today -- so screw it, they just want to go get some sleep'.

So there are a bunch of practical reasons why a bonfire may be more or less popular at different places at different times.

Next up for the OP to learn about?:  Flaming soccer.      Also not something for tinder dry locations.

• Like 1